Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Civil View - draping image on dgm failed

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
602 Views, 4 Replies

Civil View - draping image on dgm failed

Hello.

First of all, I'm new to 3ds Max Design, I'm using it for a visualization of my project in AutoCad Civil3D.

After importing my dgm surface with the Civil View application, I want to drape an orthographic image (.tif file with a world file) onto it.  When choosing the bitmap in Civil View Explorer, I get the error message: "Error reading bitmap". Draping the image in AutoCad Civil3D works.

Somebody got an idea how to solve that problem?

Philipp Lindenberger (Austria)

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
PROH
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi. How big (mb + px) is your TIF file? What happens if you open it in PhotoShop?
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
3dsMax 4.2 to 2018
AutoCAD 2000 to 2018
Infrastructure Design Suite Premium 2012 to 2018

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: PROH

It has almost 453mb and 12500x12500px, is this too big?

I don't know, never used photo shop before. 🙂

Message 4 of 5
PROH
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi. Don't know the exact limitations in Max regarding bitmap size in px, but 453mb is huge. Even if you did get it to import, it's most unlikely you could do anything without an extreme lag.

The reason I asked about PhotoShop is, that the TIF file can be "formattet" in a way that is unsupported by Max. When opening this in PhotoShop you would maybe get an error (with some explanation) or there could be some "visual" problems. Besides that You can read some details about the file in PhotoShop.

My advise would be, to open it in PhotoShop or any other photo editor, and then save it as jpg. This would probably bring the size (mb) down to something around 50mb. I don't know if the world file extension can simply be renamed, but if not you can place the bitmap "manually" using the coordinates (either world or local depending on the method chosen).

Hope it helps
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
3dsMax 4.2 to 2018
AutoCAD 2000 to 2018
Infrastructure Design Suite Premium 2012 to 2018

Message 5 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: PROH

Thanks for the suggest. I openend the file and saved it as .jpg, now it's only 33mb big. Drapping worked now. 

Thanks a lot!!!! 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report