Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Career in 3D modelling if dont like characters modelling/animation?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
2819 Views, 6 Replies

Career in 3D modelling if dont like characters modelling/animation?

Hi i am 30 male, I currently do Website Design and PHP Programming and basic Photoshop editing, however i am so tried of coding and would love to switch to 3D modelling using 3DS MAX.

I am more intrested in engineering the designing interrior/exterrior for building and objectslike like cars, machinery etc.

I am completely not interested designing for gaming and entertainment industryand therefore dont want to learn human/animal/robot/etc character modelling/animation/rigging etc.

I am sure character design/animation is a big employment opportunity with 3DS MAX and wonder if i wont ever touch this area but do everything else will can make a career with 3DS MAX or i should go to AutoCAD?

P.S. As for AutoCAD i think its too technical and used for engineering for factories, blueprints etc and i feel its going to be borring to do for me, 3DS MAX on other hand is fun in my opinion and you actually create somehting you can render and share/sell to wider group of people.

Tags (2)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
JoAnn_Hogan
in reply to: Anonymous

OK so 3DS Max is a great rendering program. Modeling in 3DS Max is something you need to get use to (I come from Inventor so its completely different) You can do Cars/ Interior ect in 3DS Max. You can even do animation.

For Character modeling and gaming you will use MAYA. But that is obviously not what you want to do.

For what you want to do I will not suggest AutoCAD. AutoCAD is a 2D drawing program and the 3D is like building legos. So your best option would be 3DS MAX. 

Download a trial version, There is a lot of tutorials on YouTube, and you can even go for a training course at your closest VAR (Value Added Reseller)

If this post solved your issue please mark as solved and Kudos are always welcome 😃

Jo - Ann
Twitter: @JoAnn_Hogan
Revit Architecture Certified Professional / Revit Structure Certified Professional / AutoCAD Certified Professional
Message 3 of 7
dgorsman
in reply to: Anonymous

Not everything is characters.  There is a fairly huge industry in entertainment (gaming and otherwise) for props and scenery.  But if you want nothing to do with the entertainment industry and want to be creating *models* in one of the technical fields you will not be using visualization software.  Like you say:

"I am more intrested in engineering the designing interrior/exterrior for building and objectslike like cars, machinery etc."

But...

"As for AutoCAD i think its too technical and used for engineering for factories, blueprints etc"

Technical models are created with technical design software.  AutoCAD is considered old-school at this point, mostly eclipsed by more dedicated software like Inventor (mechanical design) and Revit (structural and architectural design).  There is so much to learn for not only the industry practices but also the software tools, designers are rarely involved in visualization work ("pretty" doesn't hold up a bridge or keep a car from exploding).  Instead, the models would be properly designed then provided to those trained and skilled with visualization software like 3DSMAX, Maya, or Infraworks to create presentation work.

So if you want to stay in the visualization area but in a technical design field, you won't be doing a whole lot of modeling but probably a lot of lighting, materials, and rendering work.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Tags (1)
Message 4 of 7
lightcube
in reply to: JoAnn_Hogan

I just want to make it clear that there is a difference of opinion on some things. Although the OP stated he is not interested in games and characters, the following statement is something that really angers me: "For Character modeling and gaming you will use MAYA."

Maya is no better at game design. And 3ds Max is awesome at rigging, character animation end the likes. Just because some pockets of the industry push this opinion and AD is pushing it in marketing hype, it is by no means the reality. You can make badass characters and games inside 3ds Max. Use Google for a little while and look around... you'll find plenty of reasons to use 3ds Max for characters and games.

Not that this is related to the OP. It's just to clear something up as I really get annoyed to find the internet is constantly recycling unsubstantiated claims or opinions as facts.

PS. Jo Ann, this is not a personal attack. It's simply directed at one statement.

Shawn Olson

Developer of Wall Worm
3ds Max plugins and Scripts

3ds Max 4/Gmax - 3ds Max 2020
Mudbox 2009-2019

Windows 10 x64
i7 8700K
64GB RAM
Geforce 1080ti
Message 5 of 7
JoAnn_Hogan
in reply to: lightcube

Hi Shawn,

I understand what you mean. I am a qualified 3DS Max trainer, but we use it for Interior designing and renderings. Max is a strong rendering program. But I have a friend which is a Maya expert at the University and he uses it to create games and animated movies. I understand where you are coming from. I was simply stating the different uses as per Autodesk.

But there are many ways to skin a cat. For example, You can create pretty pictures using photoshop, powerpoint or paint. It all depends on which program works the best for you. I know you get very nice charecter models in 3DS Max and Maya, It all depends what the guy wants to do. If he wants to get into designing he can use Inventor as well but Inventor rendering sucks. Look I am all for using Max. I was simply explaining the difference and strong points for the different programs. 

If this post solved your issue please mark as solved and Kudos are always welcome 😃

Jo - Ann
Revit Architecture Certified Professional / Revit Structure Certified Professional / AutoCAD Certified Professional
Message 6 of 7
darawork
in reply to: JoAnn_Hogan

I actually find the 3D modelling in AutoCad to be very accomplished, even though it is as you say mainly basic geometric shapes.

Building anything is possible with its range of extrusion, path following, revolves and subtractions.

I do all my ArchViz modelling for Max in AutoCad first. It's nice when the snap system just works, down to absolute precision.

2D is only a small part of AutoCads workflow for me.

Darawork
AutoDesk User
Windows 10/11, 3DS Max 2022/24, Revit 2022, AutoCad 2024, Dell Precision 5810/20, ASUS DIY, nVidia Quadro P5000/RTX 5000/GTX760

Message 7 of 7
JoAnn_Hogan
in reply to: darawork

I work mainly in Inventor, now moving between AutoCAD 3D and Inventor is very painful. Enough to make you cry. Because I am use to how easy it is to work in Inventor. But like I said in the previous post. AutoCAD obviously works for you and there is nothing wrong with that. I enjoy iLogic and parametric design and you might not need that. Theres many ways to skin a cat. It all depends what you prefer. 

I prefer Inventor Over AutoCAD where you might disagree with me and Shawn prefers 3DS MAX over Maya. Theres no right or wrong. I am simply looking at the best tool to do the job

Jo - Ann

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report