Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can't pan screen, or rotate/scale objects

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
Anonymous
2518 Views, 11 Replies

can't pan screen, or rotate/scale objects

Any time I try to pan using the pan tool or the middle mouse button, the second I click in the screen, the view shoots to a completely different area. I can't pan at all.

Also, when I try to manually scale or rotate an object, it scales or rotates to the extreme. When I look at the coordinants, I see that it goes from 0 to the hundreds or thousands. So I'm guessing the two problems are connected in some way.

Using alt-MMB to rotate veiw still works. I can still manually position stuff. I can rotate/scale by typing numbers into the xyz coordinants. 

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Steve_Curley
in reply to: Anonymous

a) Scene Scale is inappropriate for the scene and/or b) the objects are a long way from the origin. Probably...
Can you create a small scene which shows the problem, save the scene, zip the .max file and attach it to a reply so we can investigate. There are possibilities other than the 2 above, but they are the most likely.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: Steve_Curley

Yes. Thank you. It's attached. It does this everytime I open Max on this computer. 

Message 4 of 12
Steve_Curley

Well, it's not the scene - it works fine here. Are you using a Mouse or some other pointing device? There have been reports of problems with some older devices (like the Space Pilot), so if you can try an ordinary 3-button USB Mouse (without any special drivers) that might help narrow down the cause.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous

I realised a little bit ago that I can still pan in camera veiw, with the pan tool, but still no luck with the mm button in the perspective veiw, and the scale and rotate are still crazy... I was finally was able to try it with a different mouse. It's a simpler 3 button mouse. The problem was still there. 

Message 6 of 12
Steve_Curley

Then I'm slightly at a loss to explain it. The scene works fine here, but fails there. Have you tried resetting your user preferences?
c:\users\[username]Appdata\Local\Autodesk\3dsMax\[max version]\ENU
Close Max, rename that folder, restart Max which will create a completely new set of preferences.
NB. AppData is a Hidden folder - you must set Explorer to "show hidden files and folders" or you won't be able to find it.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous

Hi, I have exactly the same problem with my max 2010. But it only happens when I use a separate screen. It works fine on the main screen on my laptop. It has been bothering me for years, any solution?

Message 8 of 12
Alfred.DeFlaminis

Hello @Anonymous,

Are you using a dual monitor setup?

I wonder if resetting your user settings would have any effect.  Please keep me posted.

Best Regards,

Message 9 of 12
Alfred.DeFlaminis

Hello @Anonymous,

I just wanted to follow up here, any progress on your issue?

Best Regards,

Message 10 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: Alfred.DeFlaminis

I got a new computer a while ago and I'm not having the issue anymore. I
never ended up figuring out what the issue was. I'm guessing it may have
had to do with the multiple monitor set-up, but I can't say for sure.

Thanks!
Message 11 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: Alfred.DeFlaminis

Hi Alfred, I tried resetting the settings, didn't work. And yes I'm using a dual monitor setup. A Thinkpad W510 with a samsung monitor.

Message 12 of 12
Alfred.DeFlaminis

Hello @Anonymous,

I'm glad that this no longer is an issue for you, it's good to know you're able to use it without this problem now.  

@Anonymous,

3ds Max prefers to be on monitor 1 if possible, or it prefers the highest DPI screen.  If your laptop has a super high DPI but your secondary monitor doesn't, then you may experience problems.  The only workarounds for this I am aware of is either making your secondary monitor your primary via windows (not sure how that works on a laptop but this link might be able to help you with that) or using a docking station with external monitors plugged into it.  This is the setup I have at work here, but my laptop screen isn't in use when I use the docking station. Since your problem is a bit different than the OP, if you make a new thread in the future you can get more one on one style support, and I am happy to do so.  

Best Regards,

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report