Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backface culling on in viewport

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
chris_jackson
17809 Views, 8 Replies

Backface culling on in viewport

In 3dsmax2015 the option to "force 2-sided" has been removed from the viewport properties so if I have solid objects I can see right through to the backfaces.

If I turn on "backface culling" in the object properties everything appears solid and as you would expect.

Is there a way to "force 2-sided" in the viewport in 2015?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

"In 3dsmax2015 the option to "force 2-sided" has been removed"
Not true. Force 2-sided is still available if you use the Legacy3D viewport driver. It is not, and never has been, available with the Nitrous driver.

"If I turn on "backface culling" in the object properties everything appears solid"
Surely if you turn OFF backface cull the object will appear solid?
If you see a difference between ON and OFF and the object is closed (no "holes" though to the inside) then the model is inside out i.e. the polys have their Normals facing inwards instead of outwards like they should be. This is a construction/modeling issue - relying on viewport settings to "hide" the problem is not recommended.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 3 of 9

I have attached some screen grabs of the issue.

As you can see with backface cull off the forward facing polygons are transparent allowing you to see the backfaces which to me is incorrect. This is certainly not how it works in previous versions of max.

I have checked all of the normals and the all face "outwards"

Message 4 of 9
PROH
in reply to: chris_jackson

Strange indeed! Looks like the toggle is reversed. Do you have SP2 installed? Have you tried to update the graphic card driver?
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
3dsMax 4.2 to 2018
AutoCAD 2000 to 2018
Infrastructure Design Suite Premium 2012 to 2018

Message 5 of 9
chris_jackson
in reply to: PROH

It is very strange indeed.

I have SP2 and the extension installed and I am running the latest Nvidia drivers on a GTX760.

The issue only came up after the extension was installed so I will see if un-installing helps.

Message 6 of 9
BenBisares
in reply to: chris_jackson

What happens if you apply a Standard material to everything in the scene?

Also would it be possible for you to attach an archive (Application Menu > Save As > Archive) to your next post?

Ben Bisares
Message 7 of 9
spacefrog_
in reply to: BenBisares

could be a viewport clipping issue . What happens if you manually adjust the clipping planes for the viewport ?

Message 8 of 9

Definitely post the scene - much easier for us to see what's going on. Have to say that I'm not seeing any such problems here - Backface Cull is working perfectly (and I have the same card - GTX760).

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 9 of 9

Steve,

I can't post the scene due to a heavy NDA.

I have tried many things and I was about to give up on 2015 and go back to 2014 but I tried one last thing.

I deleted my 3dsmax.ini file and then once max started and rebuilt the .ini file everything seems to work much better in the viewport.

This same issue is happening on 3 other computer in our office since the SP2 update so I will try the same thing on those machines and report back.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report