Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backburner Monitor Queue Control Weirdness

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
roy_baker
2599 Views, 15 Replies

Backburner Monitor Queue Control Weirdness

After updating our Backburner Manager, Servers, and Individual Workstations to 2014 we are now experiencing a weird error when requesting Queue control in the Monitor: When a user request control and is granted either via time expiration or explicitly given, the requesting user's Monitor will immediately act like the other user is requesting control back. Of course this is not the case and the requesting user has to select Deny to keep control. Any ideas?

This farm has been in existence for over 11 years using Backburner, updating to new versions when they are released, servers coming and going, and has never displayed this type of weirdness before.

Tags (1)
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
jneilon
in reply to: roy_baker

Yes we have the exact same issue. It is unusable as it is. We had to downgrade back to Max 2012 and wait for a fix. The other issue is that it does not generate errors for missing plugins anymore so it will just render regardless.... 

Message 3 of 16
samab

@roy_baker wrote:

This farm has been in existence for over 11 years using Backburner, updating to new versions when they are released, servers coming and going, and has never displayed this type of weirdness before.

I still use BB 2008.1.1, because it works.

Message 4 of 16
jneilon

Roy if you need to use Max 2014 you could look at alternative render managers. There is a list here

Message 5 of 16
Kreaction
in reply to: jneilon

Yes exact same bug here since 2014 is on the renderfarm.

Anyway, going back to 2012 foe that is a bit overhelming ... Just click deny and that's all. But yes, it is annoying, specially regarding the price of subscription !!!

Message 6 of 16
jneilon
in reply to: Kreaction

We use scripts to submit to Backburner that use the request queue control command. This is no longer possible to use since its so buggy. We are stuck in using Max 2012.
Message 7 of 16
dbhinnant

The problem I am having is the Monitor will not remember Queue Control.  I have to request it almost every time I want to do something.  It is also failing to refresh randomly.  If Backburner is not overhauled soon, we will be faced with canceling our subscription and not upgrading Studio Max anymore.  Maybe we are a small percentage of customers but Backburner is vital to our workflow.  It gets more bug laden with every new release of Max.

Message 8 of 16
zoubein

I am also having this weirdness . Is the only option to go back to 2012?

Thanks

Message 9 of 16
jneilon
in reply to: zoubein

Yes it is completely broken. We had downgrade back to Max 2012. Your only other option is to buy deadline or try smedge, royalrender etc...
Message 10 of 16
zoubein

I guess we have no choice then. I was wondering i seem to get quite a few "the pipe has ended 109" messages when I send renders from 2014 to backburner 2012. anyone else experience this?

Message 11 of 16
Midge_S

I've noticed very buggy behaviour with machines where Backburner was upgraded instead of doing a fresh install.

One farm has old Backburner installs present and gives all kinds of weird behaviour.

The other one had everything installed from scratch with only Backburner 2014 and doesn't have any of the problems present in the first.

Message 12 of 16
Hwagner
in reply to: Midge_S

the only issue i have seen on my system is 2013 can not use the 2014 backburner. not really an issue but just annoying. although my computer has a fresh install of all software.

Message 13 of 16
omri
in reply to: Hwagner

You could try uninstalling backbuner and installing an older version of backburner.

But do it on ALL machines, or you will get lots of strange behavior

We stayed on bb 2008 until we installed max 2014 with bb2014.

And yes a bughunt over backburner would be nice. We have seen lots of funky behavior with some servers not using maps they should be able to get to etc.

Message 14 of 16
jneilon
in reply to: omri

Max 2014 with Backburner 2014 was released in April 2014 it is February 2015 and still there isnt a fix. I suppose we have to wait for Max 2015?

Message 15 of 16
zoubein
in reply to: jneilon

Yeah I just had to roll back to 2012 in the end. I guess its a good time
to look into 3rd party managers.
Message 16 of 16
StevenBrodie6063

Can Autodesk address this issue, as its becoming impossible to use.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums