Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backburner Issue After SP5 Install

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
PaulMarsh1392
971 Views, 10 Replies

Backburner Issue After SP5 Install

We installed SP5 on both of our 3DS Max machines and our 1 3DS Max Design machine on Friday.  Ever since the install Backburner has not been running any jobs sent from the Design machine, but works with the 2 plain 3DS Max machines.  I have found that this is effecting a few other users based on the comments in the following link:

http://area.autodesk.com/blogs/maxstation/n227-service-pack-5-for-3ds-max-2014-amp-3ds-max-design-20...

Would really prefer not to downgrade to SP4, but need a fix quick.  Just wondered if anyone had solved this issue yet.  Any info is appreciated.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
BenBisares
in reply to: PaulMarsh1392

Actually SP5 fixed the problem where jobs sent from Max Design would be picked up by servers with only Max. I know in the past you could "mix and match" but in principle it shouldn't happen since Max Design does have some features the vanilla Max doesn't have (lighting analysis tools).

You could get this to work though if you want. I'll just say that officially I don't recommend this because you're technically breaking Backburner but when you have a job that needs to get done you gotta get it done...

Mark the Max Design job as a Max job

• Submit the job as you would normally but mark it as "Initially Suspended" (Network Job Assignment window)
  • Navigate to "C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\backburner\Jobs\". You will see a folder containing the name of the job. Open the xml file in there with a text editor.
  • Look for the following line, "<PlugName>Autodesk 3ds Max Design 2014 (64-bit)</PlugName>". Change it to what you have on the server machines. So if you have Max on the servers just remove "Design" from that line.
  • Save and start the job

Ben Bisares
Message 3 of 11
cgrant3d
in reply to: BenBisares

We're having the same/similar issue though oddly enough a second install of SP5 on each render nodes and 1 workstation fixed them. One "3ds Max Design 2014" workstation remains problematic post SP5 though. It still submits jobs that identify as "3ds Max 2014" instead of "3ds Max Design 2014".

Is there a config file somewhere that defines "PluginName" where we could manually set it back to "3ds Max Design" right? I'd really rather not uninstall 2014 entirely and reinstall from scratch.

Chris Grant
www.christophergrant.com
Message 4 of 11
cgrant3d
in reply to: cgrant3d

Trying to get this machine working. Uninstalled Design 2014 completely and reinstalled. Added Sub Adv pack. Added SP5. Still doesn't work - renders submit to BB as "3ds Max" instead of "3ds Max Design" 

This machine previously had SP3 then SP4 then SP5. I'm wondering if there's some bit of SP4 remaining that screwed up Max. Any ideas how to fix it?

Chris Grant
www.christophergrant.com
Message 5 of 11
BenBisares

I'm checking to see what determines how that job is labelled. As in my first post I know that the plugin entry in the xml file determines what will be used but I'm in the process of finding out what sets it.

For the moment I suggest the workaround above even though I understand that it's not ideal in the long run.

I would also suggest my usual fix for "everything" of resetting Max. Make sure that you're doing this for the user account that runs Backburner

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/3ds-max/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Resetti...

Ben Bisares
Message 6 of 11
PaulMarsh1392
in reply to: BenBisares

I appreciate everyones input.  I currently have a ticket open with Autodesk support, but have currently gotten no helpful responses.

Message 7 of 11
cgrant3d

Any new ideas? We're on the verge of wiping this machine completely because none of the fixes we've tried have worked. I hate to do that given all the down time of setting up a workstation / user settings from scratch. 

Chris Grant
www.christophergrant.com
Message 8 of 11

Currently no fix except to downgrade to a prior service pack.  Have a couple things support asked me to attempt.  Should attempt tonight and will reply with results.

Message 9 of 11

Completed suggested changes last night and it worked.  Below is what was done for your reference and good luck to everyone:

Ensure all machines are running 2014 Max or Max Design with SP5.

Apply below on:

-The computer submitting backburner job

-The backburner manager computer
1.Open the Start Menu and right click on Computer - Select Properties

2. Select Advanced system settings.

3. In the Advanced tab, select Environment Variables.

4. Select > New System Variable

5: Add below values:

Variable Name: MIX_MAX_DESIGN_BB

Variable Value: 1

Reboot and then test network render.  Worked perfectly for me.

Message 10 of 11
cgrant3d

Thanks for the solution.

We ended up reverting everything back to SP3. If we kept SP5 it would mean every render node needs SP5 and the environment variable fix which seems like more of a pain than it'd be worth. So for now we're keeping everything at SP3. 

Chris Grant
www.christophergrant.com
Message 11 of 11
fabian

Didn't work for me.
Installed SP5 on Workstation (3dsmax 2014) and on 4 renderslaves (3dsmax Design 2014), set Environment Variable on Workstation.
All I'm getting is "No plugin to handle the job".

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report