Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backburner 2012 and Pre-Rendering Final Gather problems

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anaardvark
455 Views, 4 Replies

Backburner 2012 and Pre-Rendering Final Gather problems

Hi I've got a problem which is driving me nuts.

I'm pre-rendering a final gather map (every 5 frames) using Backburner 2012 and a distributed network of 10 or so machines, however I seem to have random files missing.

The task summary seems to be fine and it shows the missing frames completed, however the directory that they were all being saved to is missing files such as no. 30, 35, 65, 75, 115, 120, 165, 200 etc.

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/2140/missingfiles.jpg

The files that are missing are both coming from 2 of the computers, however they can both access the network drive that the files are being stored and saved to and when final renders are made, there are no problems.

Anyone have any idea what the problem might be?
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
swahn_kung
in reply to: Anaardvark

Rendering the problematic frames with only the problematic servers results in the same thing?
Message 3 of 5
richellis66

I'm getting this every time I send a FG map to Backburner - the servers render it but it won't save the fgm files. I've since discovered that this is a Max 2012 issue when using Windows 7 or Vista; if using XP there are no problems.

I have heard suggestions of rolling back to BB 2011 or even 2010, but I'm not sure how they would cope with 2012 max files. I know that I could backwards save the Max file to an earlier version, but really, this problem should be fixed. FG maps to BB are a hugely important part of my workflow, and I'm sure I'm not alone.

I've officially reported this bug/fault as it's getting my goat - I hope they remedy this soon.
So far however, no reply.
Message 4 of 5
Anaardvark
in reply to: swahn_kung

Yes, I've just tried rendering a FG map today (both the previous file and a newer version) and both the problematic servers are still having the same issue.

As I said, strangely it's only these 2 computers that are having the issue. If I pre-render the FG map on the other machines then make the final render using all the nodes, including the troublesome ones, the final frames are saved correctly. The FG map and final renders are both saved to different directories at the network path.
Message 5 of 5
RAndroseGlover

Did you ever get this figured out? I'm having a similar issue except I'm rendering my FG straight from 3ds Max 2015, no backburner. It complets the FG 100.0% but won't save and I can't cancel out of it.

Based on memory and CPU usage I suspect Max is hitting an endless loop that is causing it to recompute the same information over and over angain, dumping it into memory (since memory continues to go up even tough it's done) but not finishing.

Any thoughts, ideas or assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Robert A. Glover
User: Revit, Navisworks, 3ds Max, AutoCAD Architectecture

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report