Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

any fast ways to removethe useless edges?

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
brian661
5803 Views, 13 Replies

any fast ways to removethe useless edges?

I have a scene with a lots of building exported as wrl from other software, 

and most of the building are built in triangles, 

like the following image

2014-10-01_180802.png

For some of the building, like the most right one in the image,

there are lots of unnessary edges/vetices.

Are there any fast ways to remove those?

It is impossible for me to remove there building by building.

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
Stefan_L
in reply to: brian661

Doing archviz with imported models from CAD this is my bread and butter 🙂

- apply one Edit Mesh modifier for all objects,

- if necessary weld all vertices (hit 1 for Vertex subobject, CTRL-A, tune threshold, hit Selected),

- hit 2 for Edge subobject level, CTRL-A, hit Auto Edge in Surface Properties section (tune angle value if needed)

- hit 2 again to exit subobject level

If you want to go on working, collapsing the modifier in the stack list sometimes moves the objects all around.

You'd better rightclick in viewport and hit Convert to: Editable [something], whatever you prefer.

--
Stefan

i7-2600 @ 3,4GHz, 32GB Ram,
512+128GB SSDs + 2x500GB HD
GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB + GTX 980 4GB
latest Driver (almost always)
Win7ProX64 SP1
Message 3 of 14
brian661
in reply to: Stefan_L

Thanks for your reply.
I have select the object-->add a edit mesh modifier-->hit 2 and ctrl+a to select all edge
but auto edge seem not working on it
not matter I set it as 10 or 100
The edge are still appearing.
Do I miss and set something wrong?
Message 4 of 14
PROH

Sounds like the vertices aren't welded. Open edges will always be visible using "auto edge".

Hope it helps
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
3dsMax 4.2 to 2018
AutoCAD 2000 to 2018
Infrastructure Design Suite Premium 2012 to 2018

Message 5 of 14
Stefan_L
in reply to: PROH

Yes, as said in post #2 the vertices have to be welded.

Otherwise you have two open edges between the faces, so they won't be hidden.

Assuming the vertices are very close together, I'd start with a threshold of 0.0001 (I usually work in meters).

Hit 1 for Vertex subobject, CTRL-A, tune threshold, hit Selected, have fun 🙂

--
Stefan

Win7ProX64 SP1
Message 6 of 14
brian661

the auto edge works finally

While the edge just become a dotted line

What this means?

2014-10-02_004537.png

Message 7 of 14
Stefan_L

Invisble edges are shown as dotted lines when selected. They still exist, but are not shown when deselected.

Regarding the black faces:

Thats either the smoothing groups which are messed up or the face normals.

Select object, hit 3 for face subobject level, CTRL-A, hit Auto Smooth.

If it's still splotchy I'd check the normals:

Select object, hit 3 for face subobject level, CTRL-A, activate Show Normals under Selection (first section), tune Scale.

You should see blue lines beginning at the center of each triangle, pointing outwards the object. If some are pointing inwards, you can try Unify in Surface Properties section.

--
Stefan

Win7ProX64 SP1
Message 8 of 14
Steve_Curley

All models are made of Triangles, in some cases they're "hidden" from view. Under certain circumstances the "hidden" ones can be displayed as dotted lines.
Right-click the object > Object Properties > Edges Only (turn it on).
If that doesn't work, which viewport renderer are you using? If it's Legacy Direct3D then there is an option in the setup for that to "Display All Triangle Edges" (turn it off). Warning - the D3D settings are saved in the program folder - under Program Files. If you don't have permission to write in there the setting will not stick - you'll lose it next time you open Max.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 9 of 14
brian661
in reply to: Steve_Curley

I see, so do the auto edge reduce the total face?

(I beleive not as I just turn 2 triangle into one retecangle, and it is still 2 triangle, isn't it?)

If not, in oreder to reduce the total face, 

it that means what I have to do is reduce the unnessary vetices?

2014-10-02_013651.png

Message 10 of 14
Stefan_L

The visibility of an edge has no impact on face count.

But it's a bit more than just seeing it or not, e.g. you can define Polygon subobjects by hiding internal edges. Your picture in post 6 shows one Polygon which consists of ten Faces. (IMHO it shoud be two polygons; the 3rd vertical edge from left should be visible 🙂 ).

Once you have a Polygon (which doesn't need to be flat BTW), you can easily select it, extrude it, put another material on it, whatever...

To get rid of the unnecessary vertices you can either move them by hand onto another adjacent vertice (use snapping!) and weld them, which can be quite a pain in the rear.

Or you rely on the built in rocket science of 3dsMax; there are two modifiers called Optimize and ProOptimizer. In this case the simple Optimize seems to be the appropriate tool.

--
Stefan

Win7ProX64 SP1
Message 11 of 14
felix

For standard edge + vertex removal I always use Editable Poly´s feature "Remove" in the "Edit Edges" section. This wouldn´t remove the vertices either though, reason after having deleted the edges I change to vertex mode, select the redundant vertices and click "Remove" in the "Edit Vertices" section. This will completely remove edges + vertices, reducing the polycount accurately compared to Optimize.

It´s important to first remove the edges and then the vertices afterwards because if you delete the vertices first it will aswell delete edges you like to keep.

A tip (maybe not that important in your case because the edges are aligned differently) is to first "shift-select" one of the to be removed vertices so it will auto-select the rest of the vertices on the edge in line. Keep the vertices selected, change to edge-mode and delete the edges. When you now change back to vertex-mode, all previously selected vertices are still/already marked, so you can then simply click "Remove". Reason doing it this way is because once having deleted the edges the "shift+select" feature wouldn´t have an effect on vertices anymore due to missing edges and selecting would be more complex.

Message 12 of 14
lightcube
in reply to: felix

Agreed. I would use Editable Poly instead of Editable Mesh... especially because of the Remove functions mentioned in Felix's post.

I have a function specifically for scenarios like this in a tool called Carver. In the tool is a button called Fix Coplanar. It automates the steps of finding coplanar faces and removing the edges that make extra faces between the coplanar faces and then removes leftover unnecessary vertices that belonged to those edges.

That function in Carver only works on Editable Poly.

Shawn Olson

Developer of Wall Worm
3ds Max plugins and Scripts

3ds Max 4/Gmax - 3ds Max 2020
Mudbox 2009-2019

Windows 10 x64
i7 8700K
64GB RAM
Geforce 1080ti
Message 13 of 14
lightcube
in reply to: lightcube

Actually... it looks like I need to update the docs/screenshots on the Exchange Apps site as they do not contain info on the Fix Coplanar function. And since I cannot edit the post above, here is a link to more robust and up-to-date Carver docs.

Shawn Olson

Developer of Wall Worm
3ds Max plugins and Scripts

3ds Max 4/Gmax - 3ds Max 2020
Mudbox 2009-2019

Windows 10 x64
i7 8700K
64GB RAM
Geforce 1080ti
Message 14 of 14
darawork

Hi,

Bumping this as it's so handy. I forgot how to do this.
Thanks again @Stefan_L 

Regards,

Darawork
AutoDesk User
Windows 10/11, 3DS Max 2022/24, Revit 2022, AutoCad 2024, Dell Precision 5810/20, ASUS DIY, nVidia Quadro P5000/RTX 5000/GTX760

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report