Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3DS MAX Generates HUGE FILE with almost empty scene

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
Anonymous
2589 Views, 15 Replies

3DS MAX Generates HUGE FILE with almost empty scene

Hy guys, I've been looking thru many sites and cant find a solution for my problem...

I was working a simple 3ds max scene: one table 6 chairs, and 4 sofas, 3 trees and so on...not a big file, and everything was ok. Scene was only 30 mb.

But suddently after keep working max file start to increase MB and now, my scene is 350 MB! and render times increase from 3-4 min to 15- 20 min for a 640x480 image.

I've also noticed that if I select or create anyOBJECT on scene (chair, plants, pictureS) and try to "SAVE SELECTED" to a new max file, it keeps a large amount of MB doesnt matter what i select, even a LINE is the same. I open it, and it has no more objetcs/textures on scene, just a 200 MB file.

there are not hide geometry, lights, external references attached to scene

The goal is to clean up my orginal max file (35mb), by deleting "something" inserted/corrupt which makes my file increases up to 350 MB, with only few geometry as you can see on image.

pleasEEE HELP MEEEEE! I cannot save my objects/textures/model to start a new one clean max file from scratch. And wich is worst...It happened to whole 7 files within THIS PROJECT. All other max files on my pc are ok. So....? anyone? there is a way to purge my scene?

Is it a 3DS Max bug i guess
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Have you tried merging the objects into a new scene?
Message 3 of 16
Anonymous

Of course...

By selecting objects one by one, etc, and nothing. :(
Message 4 of 16
Steve_Curley

Start Max, save the scene (empty - don't add anything). If the resulting file is big you probably have a problem with your Maxstart.max. Try closing Max, rename Maxstart.max (so it can't find it) and try again. If that's the cause then re-create Maxstart.max.

If you have one, it will be in your default (project) "Scenes" folder.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 5 of 16
Anonymous

Start Max, save the scene (empty - don't add anything). If the resulting file is big you probably have a problem with your Maxstart.max. Try closing Max, rename Maxstart.max (so it can't find it) and try again. If that's the cause then re-create Maxstart.max.

If you have one, it will be in your default (project) "Scenes" folder.

Sorry, I didn't get it...what do i have to rename? Can't find any MaxStart file on my PC..
Message 6 of 16
Steve_Curley

Ok, well if you don't have one it can't be the cause, can it. There was an issue with Biped poses causing lots of bloat - if you saved a Maxstart with the problem in it, it automatically propagated to every new project - hence the suggestion.

You could try renaming 3dsmax.ini (and that will be there) - you will need "search hidden files and folders" enabled to find it.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Message 7 of 16
Anonymous

Ok, well if you don't have one it can't be the cause, can it. There was an issue with Biped poses causing lots of bloat - if you saved a Maxstart with the problem in it, it automatically propagated to every new project - hence the suggestion.

You could try renaming 3dsmax.ini (and that will be there) - you will need "search hidden files and folders" enabled to find it.

Hi.

I located and renamed 3dsmax.ini and max start from scratch again, with no user paths, recently opened files and so on...unfortunately, max scenes still being ridiculous big. I erased all in scene (maps, geoetry, lights, etc) and one empty scene is about 420MB!, tried to open scene on 4 different pcs and the same...and like i said, this happen to 7 files from these project.
Message 8 of 16
Steve_Curley

What about a new, empty scene? Load Max, save immediately.
On my system the file is 200KB.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Message 9 of 16
Anonymous

What about a new, empty scene? Load Max, save immediately.
On my system the file is 200KB.

Same for me, file is about 180kb a new empty scene.

Obviously there is something within my files corrupted, but is not geometry or any "selectable" object.

Here is a link to file:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=6EB196QX

Compressed is only 580 kb, decompressed is about 216MB!
Message 10 of 16
Steve_Curley

The the only way is to start with a clean scene and merge the objects in one at a time, saving and checking the filesize each time. Has to be something wrong somewhere to get that kind of bloat.

I've looked and looked at the empty file, having eventually got rid of all vray traces (I don't have it so I get errors loading the scene) and I can't find anything.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Message 11 of 16
Anonymous

Hey. We were having the same problem with max 2009 sp1. Tried everything including Garbage collection, motion mixer, biped collections etc. Turns out the solution for us was very simple.

Click file, New. And when the dialog box comes up, choose to keep all objects.
Once we did this 500mb files went down to 75mb consistently.

Take note this will ungroup everything in your scene, and remove all animation.
Message 12 of 16
Anonymous

Man You just save me a lot of Head Pain Thank Soooooo mutch  I atill wanna know why the file is getting that big

my new thing will be to create a new and keep object everytime a work on a project thanks again

Message 13 of 16
i.g.handzhiyski

God bless you!

Message 14 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: i.g.handzhiyski

Message 15 of 16
theoB6F66

Hi. I'm having the same issue. What version of Max did you use for this? 2020 doesn't have a dialog box when you click new. It just rolls out to All new or New from Template

Message 16 of 16
anselmapjetri

thank you so much... it saved my life 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report