Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3ds Max for Mac??

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
alozano96
2207 Views, 4 Replies

3ds Max for Mac??

I still read that they were thinking of making a 3ds max version for mac. There have been no updates. Are they going to make one?? If so by when can we expect it? Everyone wants me to pay around $200-$300 to install windows 7 onto my mac 😞

Tags (3)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
spacefrog_
in reply to: alozano96

My opinion:
NEVER will happen, and i don't want to have them to spend valuable human resources and dev time - which all are spread thin already compared to the one from Maya for example.

Many people i know who are using a Mac are running Max in the build in Windows emulation ( can't remember it's name ATM ...) and it works surprisingly good. And $200-300 for windows is exaggerated...
Message 3 of 5
Steve_Curley
in reply to: spacefrog_

Bootcamp (2 bootable disk partitions one for MacOS one for Windows) or Parallels (which is a virtual machine). Trying to run Max in a VM is not recommended, Bootcamp effectively turns a Mac into a PC so it should work reasonably well.
And +1 to everything above - Max is optimised for Windows, why throw away all that hard work just to get it running natively on MacOS? Waste of time and resources IMO.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 4 of 5
lightcube
in reply to: alozano96

Echo here on the Max on Mac issue. Unless there is some way to make the port bennefit the giant masses of PC-using Max users, this would be an idea I won't support. I don't want my money going to time spent on porting anything that already exists to Mac unless it is done in parrallel with and expanded above and beyond current efforts on improving/enhancing Max in general ON A PC.

In other words, the Max community doesn't want to spend thousands of dollars and years waiting for dismal updates only so that the Mac community can finally use Max natively. We want our money to go into enhancements that come back into helping us fill our pockets back up so we can continue the cycle.

If you can afford 3ds Max and a Mac... you can certainly afford a PC or the options Steve mentioned.

Shawn Olson

Developer of Wall Worm
3ds Max plugins and Scripts

3ds Max 4/Gmax - 3ds Max 2020
Mudbox 2009-2019

Windows 10 x64
i7 8700K
64GB RAM
Geforce 1080ti
Message 5 of 5
dgorsman
in reply to: lightcube

They'll likely take the same path as the more recently re-introduced AutoCAD for Mac: separate out the core program from the UI, allowing the development of both while minimizing the amount of rework/cost.  The trouble is the initial Mac releases won't be anywhere near the current Win version as the Mac UI would have to be constructed from the ground up.  So like the AutoCAD product users will see it as useless, or crippled even though its not a matter of clicking a toggle to turn those features on.

In short, it'll be done when it makes economic sense to do so.  Give the subject an occaisonal poke to let them know the level of interest but don't expect miracles.  *If* it does see the light of day don't be quick to compare it feature-to-feature with the Win version.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report