Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3DS Max 2017 Service Pack 2 is out

19 REPLIES 19
SOLVED
Message 1 of 20
nikolad
2687 Views, 19 Replies

3DS Max 2017 Service Pack 2 is out

10 days ago, apparently. 

It would be nice to have these kind of news officially posted here, or am I missing some important news channel?

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/3ds-max/downloads/caas/downloads/content/3ds-max-2017-service...

19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
aon.914858227
in reply to: nikolad

Odd, the Desktop App still says 'No updates available'.

Message 3 of 20
nikolad
in reply to: aon.914858227

Maybe the SP is still in beta? 🙂
Message 4 of 20
aon.914858227

Hmm, i think i will wait until something officially has been announced here.

Thanks for the heads up anyway. 😉

Message 5 of 20
nikolad
in reply to: aon.914858227

I've installed and it fixed all the critical issues I had so far (fbx export/preset issues, adding modifiers to groups, snapping pivot to vertices, UVW crash on relaxing a single island...). So far so good.

Message 6 of 20
spacefrog_

Yeah - it's official

And before big rant threads appear everywhere:

Seems the infamous "Select by Material" not working with Scene Explorer based dialogs bug is still not fixed with that SP Smiley Sad So i'll stick with the legacy "select from scene" dialog hacks quite a bit longer. "Select by Material" works in those legacy dialogs ...

Josef Wienerroither
Software Developer & 3d Artist Hybrid
Message 7 of 20
nikolad
in reply to: spacefrog_

Hopefully that one will be fixed soon as well.

So far we had two service packs in two months, I don't know if I should be happy or worried.
Message 8 of 20
jens.diemer

nikolad schrieb:

10 days ago, apparently. 

It would be nice to have these kind of news officially posted here, or am I missing some important news channel?

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/3ds-max/downloads/caas/downloads/content/3ds-max-2017-service...

My wish since 2011:

http://3dsmaxfeedback.autodesk.com/forums/76763-small-annoying-things/suggestions/2238474-mail-3dsma...

Jens

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
https://github.com/jedie/3dsmax_bugs | https://github.com/jedie/3dsmax_patches
Message 9 of 20
StephenMF
in reply to: jens.diemer

SP2 is breaking my outliner 2.1.5

http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/outliner

Just me or does this happen to other people?

(uninstalling SP2)

Waiting for a fix.

Stephen

Message 10 of 20
dbrainard
in reply to: StephenMF

I would just like to remind my fellow forum visitors that if you are not doing so already, please use the error reporting system available from the 3ds max help menu to generate CERs for Autodesk, as this appears to be the primary way for the dev team to receive and squash bugs these days. (see attached image). A lot of us old fashioned folks are still used to coming to the forums and sharing our discoveries and assuming someone important will hear about it and share it with the right person.

I am also very disappointed that the "Select by Material" feature is still broken after this SP2 release, but I wonder if it is because there is not enough critical mass behind the CER reports to escalate it to a higher priority. Sad face 😞

Message 11 of 20
StephenMF

I would just like to remind the autodesk developers that if you are not doing so already, please use the area forums, available from the 3ds max menu to discover bugs and issues. If you wish to put them in any type of bug tracking system please feel free to do so, but don't put that burden on your busy paying customers. A lot of us old fashioned folks are busy trying to make great things. If we had to sit down to type bugs in to your system, would you pay us for that service?

Just an idea. Autodidakt could hire an intern to go through the forums, confirm the bugs and issues, and then type them in to their system.

Message 12 of 20
but.i.dont.know

Seems like the insane amount of crashes are still happening.

Working on the same scene in 2016 works flawlessly. And there's nothing fancy, no 3rd party used, nothing, simple poly modelling.

Message 13 of 20
Anonymous
in reply to: but.i.dont.know

The fact that autodesk is still able to modify max without causing it comletely fall and fracture into a bit dust is like a miracle for me.

Message 14 of 20
Alfred.DeFlaminis

Hello @nikolad,

I believe the intention with the desktop app was to prevent people from having to go out and seek out the news on updates, find the correct page, and download the software.  The idea being that the info and update would arrive right on your desktop via that application, and it has an orange star on it when there is an update available.  

That being said, I would be happy to bring this up in the next staff meeting and perhaps we can do a sticky thread in the news and announcements forum.  I think that sort of news does belong there and I will make sure to mention it.  If a green light is given I will tend to it myself.  

Thank you again for your feedback. 

Please hit the "Accept as Solution" button if my post fully solves your issue or answers your question. This lets me know that I was effective in helping you, and thank you for doing so.

Best Regards,

Message 15 of 20
nikolad
in reply to: Alfred.DeFlaminis

Hi Alfred,
if you are referring to that Autodesk Application Manager, that is the first thing I uninstall.

I follow this forum, your Facebook page and get email newsletters from AD but no mention of Service Packs there. So yeah, I think there is room for improvement.

Sticky thread is a good start.

Thanks,
Nikola
Message 16 of 20
Alfred.DeFlaminis

Hello @nikolad,

The Autodesk Application Manager has been discontinued and replaced with the Autodesk Desktop App.  The desktop app is rather slick I think and includes links to learning articles, tutorials, updates, etc.  It's more like a portal to the products and it's actually quite good.

That being said, it's my 10th day on the job, please be patient and give me a bit of time to work on the sticky thread issues and I'll will do everything I can.

Thank you and have a great weekend,

Message 17 of 20

@Alfred.DeFlaminis wrote:

Hello @nikolad,

The Autodesk Application Manager has been discontinued and replaced with the Autodesk Desktop App.  The desktop app is rather slick I think and includes links to learning articles, tutorials, updates, etc.  It's more like a portal to the products and it's actually quite good.

That being said, it's my 10th day on the job, please be patient and give me a bit of time to work on the sticky thread issues and I'll will do everything I can.

Thank you and have a great weekend,

Alfred,  congrats for the job - you are doing great. A very welcome sight to have such a dedicated AD person on the forum.

Josef Wienerroither
Software Developer & 3d Artist Hybrid
Message 18 of 20

Thank you very much @spacefrog_, I really appreciate the support!  Looking forward to the coming months!

Best Regards,

Message 19 of 20

Hello @Everyone 

I have gotten the green light to create a sticky thread about recently released SP's and EXT's in the general forums from this point forward.   The thread will be unlocked so that we as a community can discuss, criticize, give feedback, etc. and thank you all for your patience.  I will be drafting a template for it in the next week or two, so upon the release of the next SP or EXT you will see this thread.  Thank you all for the suggestion and know that I will do whatever I can to implement suggestions that improve our community and the product 3ds Max.  Have a great week!

Best Regards,

Message 20 of 20

@Alfred.DeFlaminis wrote:

@hello @Anonymous 

I have gotten the green light to create a sticky thread about recently released SP's and EXT's in the general forums from this point forward.   The thread will be unlocked so that we as a community can discuss, criticize, give feedback, etc. and thank you all for your patience.  I will be drafting a template for it in the next week or two, so upon the release of the next SP or EXT you will see this thread.  Thank you all for the suggestion and know that I will do whatever I can to implement suggestions that improve our community and the product 3ds Max.  Have a great week!

Best Regards,

Thanks a lot you for your commitment, Alfred. This is very much appreciated.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report