Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3ds Max 2015 Selection Priority Issues.

17 REPLIES 17
SOLVED
Message 1 of 18
severenger
4108 Views, 17 Replies

3ds Max 2015 Selection Priority Issues.

Hi, I've recently installed 3ds max 2015 and I'm having some issues regarding selection of objects occluding other objects.

For example:

If I have a stack of objects on top of each other (with a small offset), when selecting the topmost object in max 2014, the top object is selected first. If I continue to click, the next object down is selected and so forth until reaching the bottom. However, in max 2015, clicking the top object will select a random object, rather than the top object. Clicking again will then select another random object. See image below.

http://i.imgur.com/K9c0c9V.png

Is anyone else experiencing this issue and know how to fix it? It is extremely frustrating to work with.

Thanks.

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
Stefan_L
in reply to: severenger

Works fine here (8 planes, shaded viewport; drawing order irrelevant btw)...

--
Stefan

i7-2600 @ 3,4GHz, 32GB Ram,
512+128GB SSDs + 2x500GB HD
GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB + GTX 980 4GB
latest Driver (almost always)
Win7ProX64 SP1
Message 3 of 18
severenger
in reply to: Stefan_L

Thanks for the reply Stefan, I've been having quite a few issues actually. Perhaps my max just needs a reinstall...
Message 4 of 18
severenger

Well a fresh install still did not fix the issue I'm having 😞
Message 5 of 18
Steve_Curley

Possibly because you didn't clear out your local settings. Max neither removes them (uninstall) or overwrites them (install) so any issues in them will persist.
C:\users\[username]\appdata\local\autodesk\3dsmax\[version]\
Rename the ENU folder, start Max and it will create new clean files.

I should add that I just tried this - created a Plane and arrayed it 10 times downwards on Z (copies). Top viewport (shaded) and repeatedly clicking cycled through them as expected. Worked with wireframe too.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 6 of 18
severenger
in reply to: Steve_Curley

That fixed it. Thanks Steve! 😄
Message 7 of 18
Steve_Curley

Glad it helped. It's generally better to try that before spending time uninstalling/reinstalling because unless the problem is caused by a "bad" dll/program in the installation folder the un/re/install will likely not help.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 8 of 18

I tried that too, but nothing happened. Same issues as the irst post on this. Is there any configuration I should be changing?

Message 9 of 18
nwr83

1. Select any other driver than (Nitrous D3D), requires that you restart the program.

3. Open MAX, reselect (Nitrous D3D)

4. Restart your MAX, you should be OK now.

and please tell whether that works for u or not...

Message 10 of 18
Rimozan

what should i write in the 'ENU' folder as Renaming??!
i have the same problem but i installed 3ds max 2015 on a new windows 7 !

Message 11 of 18
Rimozan

what should i write in the 'ENU' folder as Renaming??! i have the same problem but i installed 3ds max 2015 on a new windows 7  !

Tags (1)
Message 12 of 18
PROH
in reply to: Rimozan

You could i.e. call it "ENU (old)". It doesn't matter what you call it, as long it is renamed, so that Max can't find it and will create a new one (default settings). Renaming it instead of deleting it, also gives you the possibility to revert back to the old ENU, simply by deleting the new ENU folder and renaming the old one back to "ENU".

Hope it helps
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
3dsMax 4.2 to 2018
AutoCAD 2000 to 2018
Infrastructure Design Suite Premium 2012 to 2018

Message 13 of 18
Rimozan
in reply to: PROH

I did that but still the same problem in the Selection of objects if i select an object it make a random selection and choose something else around it !!  the file was created on 3ds max 2013 then i installed 3ds max 2015 and this issue happened !

Tags (1)
Message 14 of 18
PROH
in reply to: Rimozan

Hi. I'm not quite sure what you mean by "the file was created 3ds Max 2013 then I installed 3ds Max 2015....".

The ENU folder for 2013 and 2015 are not the same. There should be an ENU folder for each version, so maybe you renamed the wrong version?

Hope it helps
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
3dsMax 4.2 to 2018
AutoCAD 2000 to 2018
Infrastructure Design Suite Premium 2012 to 2018

Message 15 of 18
nwr83

just start the program in change graphics mode, change the graphics mode, close MAX, then start it once again and change the Graphics mode back to what it was before, close MAX and start it once again and try...

and tell me if this fixes the issue... Smiley Happy

Message 16 of 18
chandraputra
in reply to: nwr83

turn off progressive display option in the views menu bar..

works for me..

Message 17 of 18
bgurdidarsingh

When i drag and drop a image on plane then there on the mouse points is a black stop symbol.help to solve this problem
Message 18 of 18
bgurdidarsingh

When i drag and drop a image on plane then there on the mouse points is a black stop symbol.I tried material editor but it cant import image to plane.help to solve this problem

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report