Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3ds max 2015 problems.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
GratyanAdrianOlteanu
1242 Views, 9 Replies

3ds max 2015 problems.

I'm stuck. and I'm nervous.

the issues:

1: When working with a large stage, for example: Creating an earth.

1.1 I can not do enough zoom out so I can see the entire sphere, only in perspective view works and with issue.

1.2 when I zoom in, the sphere disappears. !viewport clipping is adjusted to maximum.

1.3 same thing when I want to create a small object, such as a buckle. I have clipping issue.

2 I can not create small primitive, only at the high dimensons.

for example if I want to create "draw" a circle at  the size of a buckle, the circle disappears when I let go the mice button.

3.Problems with massfx 2.8.5

3.1 simply does not work in 3ds max 2015.

3.2 in 3ds max design  2014 massFx works well.

3.3 I downloaded and installed mass fx 3.3.2:

3.3.1 My custom toolbar and buttons disappeared

3.3.2 After I reloaded my custom ui scheme, Now I have two massfx toolbar.

One with old mass fx and one yith new massfx.

the old one doesn't work anymore.

the new one have  mising some futures.

After I close 3ds max and reopened, the new one (massfx toolbar) now have all futures. Now the problem is that  entire simulation is in slow motion.

I do not know what to do anymore to work properly,,,

ps: on large scene my units setup is in "m" or "km" and display unyts in "m" or "km "
on small scene system units is in "m" or "mm" and display units in "cm" or mm"

I tried all possible variantes....

4, And the scene explorer is horible. 2 explorer.  one for leyers and.........

maybe if the two would be embedded in one would be more or less ok.

Thanks!!!!!!!

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

For massfx (https://developer.nvidia.com/physx-sdk) I noticed that the gravity units is not the same with 3ds max units system.

If 3ds max units system is set to "m" and display units is in "m", massfx gravity units shows the "m" for meter  but is acting like inch units. so instead the value -9.81 witch is slow moution the corect value is -386.221m (but is not in m, is in inch ). And if 3ds max units system is in "inch" and display units in "m" the massfx now shows the corect value -9.81m. But if max units system is in "inch" and display in "m" is not a good one, although it should be, it should be converted  the units system in display system ........ but instead that, if I want  the object to have corect value, The units system  need to be in "m" and display in "m", "cm", "mm".

what is the reaon for that, why the units system isn't converted to show corect display units, and the display units can be any unit?

Message 3 of 10

Another problem: I created a leather belt: 1300mm lenght 32mm width. a created some bones and create a skin modifier.

The problem is that I need to ajust the envelope.  If  I zoom in the  envelope desapears. And I can't ajust the envelope from far away.

Message 4 of 10

Jesus christ, this is a critical issue! Did you report it?
Core i7 870 @3,2Ghz
16GB RAM
GeForce GTX460
3ds Max 2012 SP2
OCZ Vertex 2 SSD
Message 5 of 10

What should I report, that my head hurts already !?

After so many years of work in 3ds max.
Now I feel that I am very confused .
Today I loaded some tutorial file from nvidia. (physx file demo)
And objects are huge.
I looked at unit setup. and everithing is in "cm". system units setup in "cm" display unit in "cm"
pfffffffff.
And I concluded that the units from 3ds max has no logic at all.
For example:
If my system units setup is in "m" and display in "cm" (normally I work with system units setup in m and display units in m, cm or mm) an I create a cube with dimension 1mx1mx1m the disply unit is 100cm x 100cm x100cm, and if my display units is in mm than I have 1000mm x1000mm x1000mm which is very logical. problem occurs when system units setup is in km, cm or mm. If I exchange system units setup from "m" to "cm", the cube is no longer 1m, is 1cm. This is crazy.
 3ds max, should convert the cube size already created.

In this case, if the scene have system units setup "cm" and display units "cm" and I want to switch the units setup to "m" 3ds max should rescale the scene object, not to remain at the same value but other unit of measure. This is very, very confusing.
Now, after so many years, my question is: which are the correct values to work at scale 1:1? system units and display.
1 m to be 1 m not 1 cm

Units system is horible.

Message 6 of 10

Ignore the Display units (leave them set to Generic for now).
Take a Cube, roughly the size of the "Borg Cube" from Max2009 [1].
With System Units of mm each side of the cube is 100mm.
With System Units of cm each side of the cube is 10cm.
With System Units of M each side of the cube is 0.1M.
It's the same size cube in each case. By changing the Display Units you can, purely for convenience display those dimensions in different ways but internally the sizes remain as shown above as can be proved by setting the Display Units back to Generic. Display Units have NO impact on the size of the object provided you enter appropriate values i.e. dimensions must be in terms of the display units not the underlying System Units.

What you need to do is consider the size of the objects and the overall size of the scene and choose units which will allow you to model small details without using more than (at most) 2 decimal places and model the overall scene without going over 100k units (6 non-decimal digits) to avoid Max's rounding problems.
So, don't model a pin head in KM or a city block (or the Earth!) in mm. You have to work within Max's limits or you'll really regret it. And a word of caution - you CANNOT just change the System Units in an existing scene and expect everything, or indeed anything, to be correct afterwards - you need to get it right from the start and leave it alone thereafter. See this help page.

[1] The Borg Cube was actually 124mm (12.4cm) on a side - mine is still on the shelf in front of me 😄

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 7 of 10

Hi.
Thanks for the replay.
I reed so many documentation that I anderstud how it works, but....
First of all I don't know exactly what do you mean.
What borg cube refer to?
The borg cube (sf) dimension in real world is about 3036m each side.
!From what I read.
1. If I set the display units to generic and system units to mm
What is the value to create that cube? 3.0360e+6mm? "3036000.02mm"
Or 124mm your cube?
OK.

I understood the principle here. But for me the system units remain horible.
I understood that the generic units it is exactly the same value from system unit setup ("scale", more correctly).
And the display units is for convenience display(value conversion)

But for system units setup is a different problem.
I understood that the system units setup is for scaling world.
Because 3ds max can't manage well big/bigest, or smal/smalest scene.
And for example if I want to create a big road about 1km, it is preferable to set the system units to Km. And the generic unit will be 1km. That road will fit in the scene probably without clipping isue. Because if I will set the system units to m after I created the road, the road will have 1m.

The problem appear with complex scene and importing or merge files.

For example I created a game character in a scene with system units in "m"
Then I want to create some cloth, accessories, like belt.
With system units in m it's hard to create and rig a belt.
Clepping issue, zoom issue, pan issue,etc.
Perhaps you will say to model the belt in a new scene with system units in mm.
Ok.Suppose I will do that. Then after is finished with all bone atached ...
I need to fit that belt in that character scene.(how to create accessories without the presence of the character)("and if I import a big object in a scene with small object the problem start to apear like it was in a big scene")
What do you think happens?
Everything is messy.
The bone have one dimension, the mesh have one dimension......
Especially when working with physics..
It's horible.
Icons (helpers)have a big size.....
Everything is a mess...
The best way here was if 3ds max had 1 system units, more convenince display units for conversion, and that will support small scene and big scene without clipping isue or other problem.

It is a totally pain.

Thanks so much for your replay.!

Message 8 of 10

The "Borg Cube" was a folded up cardboard box supplied with Max2009 which, when unfolded, formed a cube with most of the major Max shortcuts printed on each side. It was christened the "borg cube" by users though its official name was the Quick Reference Cube.

If your object is 3036M then the LAST thing you want to do is to model it in mm. That's what I was trying to explain - Max simply cannot cope with values that large. Set your System Units to M and create the cube 3036 units (i.e. M) per side.

As for importing stuff - yes, it can be a pain. You CAN change the scale of an object, but use the Rescale World utility not the Select and Scale tool. To do that properly you need to work out what units the object was modeled in, so it might pay to import it into an empty scene, rescale it as necessary and save it, then merge it into your proper scene.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 9 of 10

I understood the first time, I know that. But from reason like importing, merge issue...  I prefer to work only in system units  "m"

I tried rescale world units (selected obj or  entire scene) but the same result. mesh go down to a smaller value and the bones, helper, icons remain big....

That is the reason that I prefer to work with one system unit and  I work better in m

(I worked with almost all version of max, exception v1, v2 and 2009 ) so I don't know about  that cube.

I know all that stuf. What I don't know is . how to work  in a scene with system units like "m" without having clipping issue and zooming, and panning ... and for exemple  now I work with Physx SDk  3.3.2. if I have the system units setup in m and I want to create a kinematic rig (ragdol) The icon is so big, I can't scale down. Whent I create game characters, somtime I need to create small accesories or somting big. Even the buildings I modeled in system units "m"

When I create static object it's ok to change the system units according to needs, but with dynamic object and kinematic, it's a pain. I can't rescale anything. I must restore all that work.... I think 3ds max must improuve and change  that. Why 3ds max can't handle big or small scene without to rescale system units. From here start a lot of problems.

Ok thanks  so much.

I continue to torment me as I have no choice.

From all version,  that was  a pain number 1, number 2 scene explorer, number 3 porting the settings and custom scripts(buttons) It's not a good ideea to load a custom ui scheme from older version. some button from new verson desapear. that 3 point are my pain in 3ds max.  And I'm glad ,Happy that some future like SSAO which I thought and put them on paper since version 3 🙂

And  a small disappointment is with nitrous. don't have option to set the quality to be permanent not only progressively.

So I do not want to give up on max because of this 3 points that are a pain.

Ok Thank you again!

Message 10 of 10

The conclusion I reached. in case someone runs into the same problem with massfx "SDK 2x, 3x" Maybe it's true for massfx integrated in 3ds max 2015.

So.

1.If simulation run slow or not at all.

check out: - the world scale. (I noticed that in the demos de objects are enormous, maibe simulaţion with small object have issue, and they use this trick to impress us). if the world is to big the simulaţion is slower because the object need to travel big distances.

even if objects have only 1m. The object have 1m because of world scale in reality the objects are to big. This is  one of the isue caused by max world scale. so Reduce the world scale and start a new scene, if you continue with  the curent simulaţion in scene that world had rescaled, simply won't work.

- check gravity value, from some reason in my case with system units in "m" and dysplay units in "m" the gravity value is -9.81m, but I dicovered  that is not in mater although the value is followed by the letter m but is  in inch. and the corect value for inch is -386.221.

- check max frame rate. in may case value better than 30 is slowing domn the simulation.

so. many problem caused by world scale.....

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report