Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3ds Max 2015 | Maya Interaction Mode ‘Shift+Ctrl+mouse-click’ not working or set

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
keoni101001
4187 Views, 8 Replies

3ds Max 2015 | Maya Interaction Mode ‘Shift+Ctrl+mouse-click’ not working or set

First of all, I want to say that I really depend on 3ds Max for modeling, my only preference is for the Maya navigation option. Thank you Autodesk for including Maya Interaction Mode as an option in 3d Max 2013/2014/2015! I previously used dRaster in older versions of Max 9/2010/2011/2012..

However, currently in 3ds Max 2015 (also in 2014) with Maya Interaction Mode, there seems to be no way to add to selection without inverting currently selected (verts/edges/polygons/objects).

Is there any way possible to make ‘Shift+Ctrl+mouse-click’ able to ‘add to selection’, without inverting currently selected object/verts/polygons – exactly the same as it is in Maya?

In 3ds Max (with Maya Mode Selection ticked on):

Shift+mouse-click - either adds to or subtracts from a selection set

Ctrl+mouse-click - subtracts from a selection

(nothing set here, why redundant?) Shift+Ctrl+mouse-click – does the same as Shift+mouse-click, but should only ‘add to selection’, just like Maya

The help guide definition:

'Maya Mode Selection

When on, Shift+mouse-click either adds to or subtracts from a selection set, while Ctrl+mouse-click subtracts from a selection. Default=off.

This option provides compatibility with Autodesk Maya.'

So in Maya, when you are making selections in object/component mode, you can add to you selection while constantly overlapping currently selected objects/verts by holding ‘Shift+Ctrl+mouse-click’ – it makes adding to your selection so much less tedious and cumbersome.  If you have to carefully select around all current selection, in hopes you don’t invert something, especially when modeling detailed models, it really is a significant waste of time…

I was really hoping it would be fixed in 2015 so I could move from 2011/2012 versions…

I posted a detailed description of the issue which seems simple to fix, imho.

Area Discussion Groups | 3ds Max General:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/3ds-Max-3ds-Max-Design-General/In-Maya-Mode-Selection-Holding-Shift-ad...

Autodesk 3ds Max Feedback | General Feature Requests:

http://3dsmaxfeedback.autodesk.com/forums/80695-general-feature-requests/suggestions/4305323-make-ma...

Finally you might think simply ticking off Maya Mode Selection would solve the problem, and it a weird way it does, Shift or Shift+Ctrl+mouse-click only adds to your selection, yes!! No…now the problem is the same in the exact opposite way.. there is no way to subtract from your selection...

In 3ds Max (with Maya Mode Selection ticked off):

Shift+mouse-click - adds to a selection set (Yes!)

Ctrl+mouse-click - adds to a selection set (Whyyy!)

Shift+Ctrl+mouse-click – does the same as Shift+mouse-click, adds to a selection set (Yes, but whyyy redundant!)

Please please help, I really want to buy to 3ds Max 2015 but this slow modeling is preventing me and even 2014 a year before, but currently I’m in an awkward 3ds 2011 purgatory…

Thanks for any help and ideas!!

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
spacefrog_
in reply to: keoni101001

In 3ds Max it is CTRL-click to add and ALT-click to remove from the selection.When using the selection marquee, holding  SHIFT causes the selection to be TOGGLED in the covered region. ( CTRL and ALT work the same as when clicking )

SHIFT-Click, CTRL doubleclick has special meaning in edit poly ( ring and loop select ). I guess there are even some more special cases...

In earlier versions CTRL always toggled the selection, but that was changed because this leads to many unwanted deselections

If you look carefully you will even see a small + and - at the mouse cursor for the corresponding modes ( when the keys are down )

I don't know why it SHIFT CTRL does also add for you, but maybe that is some remaining setting from you using Maya mode...

And i definitely would recommend using the standard Max input mode, as i read about several problems when Maya mode is active ( shortcuts not working etc.. )

Josef Wienerroither
Software Developer & 3d Artist Hybrid
Message 3 of 9
keoni101001
in reply to: spacefrog_

Thanks spacefrog – your explanation is precise, exactly how 3ds Max default controls work for sure, but I have to try to fight for the very basic Maya controls/selections working in 3ds Max (especially because of the fact that Autodesk has decided to integrate the option for users).   The fix could be as simple as being able to edit the preferences of Maya Mode Selection – why can a user not define which combination of Ctrl, Shift, or Ctrl+Shift adds to, subtracts from, or invert a selection.

I’ve tried to use default Max controls, but prefer Maya navigation for speed in modeling, just a personal preference – I know of many 3ds Max users with a Maya navigation preference, basically anyone coming from Maya, it’s great to have more artists be able seamlessly transition between software in the most basic ways (navigation/selection/hotkeys) supporting both packages – both have great advantages for certain tasks.  I used dRaster with Max 9-2012 which worked flawlessly working at various game studios for years.  3ds Max 2013-2015 integrated Maya Interaction Mode, like many software packages that allow for various navigation styles/choices.

I should have clarified that all problems I am referencing are related to having Interaction Mode set to ‘Maya’ under ‘Preferences…/Interaction Mode tab’.

The only distinction is whether Maya Mode Selection is ticked on or off under ‘Customize User Interface/Mouse’.  Either way it is set, you really can’t make good selections in 3ds Max, which is unfortunate for productivity and efficiency.

I have been able to work in 2013/2014/2015 in Maya Interaction Mode at work in 343 Industries/Microsoft, with the only major exception of being able to add to a selection without inverting. 

I primarily hope that in some way, it might be possible to edit the Maya Mode Selection settings, or find a way to script the command, but seems unlikely, since this is a known issue for quite a while during 3ds Max 2014's year and is still disappointingly in 2015, which is why I'm posting again in hopes of some solution if possible.

Related/maybe better explanations:

"maya" interaction mode doesn't work like maya.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/3ds-Max-3ds-Max-Design-General/quot-maya-quot-interaction-mode-doesn-t...

Maya Navigation Mode - So Many "Gotchas"

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/3ds-Max-3ds-Max-Design-General/Maya-Navigation-Mode-So-Many-quot-Gotch...

Message 4 of 9
vovov

I agree that the Maya interaction mode is very badly implemented, but try this:

http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/plugins/mems-max2maya-maya-viewport-navigation-in-3ds-max

I have used it for many Max versions now and exept that it gets messed up if you open more then 1 Max at the same time, it works very good. It does what the Maya interaction mode should do.

Hope it helps. Just remember to reset all the interaction changes you have made before installing.

Message 5 of 9
paulneale

If you are looking to make requests for features then here is not the place. Use http://3dsmaxfeedback.autodesk.com/forums/80695-general-feature-requests for making requests. This will be out right into the system instead of expecting the development team searching forums.
Paul Neale

http://paulneale.com

Paul Neale

EESignature

Message 6 of 9
keoni101001
in reply to: paulneale

Thank you Paul, didn't realize this wasn't the right forum - I'll head over to the General Feature Request Feedback forum : )  And, thanks vovov for the ideas too!

Message 7 of 9
paulneale

Thanks, there is just no way to keep track of this sort of thing if it isn't placed in the right location. 

Paul Neale

http://paulneale.com

Paul Neale

EESignature

Message 8 of 9
m_n3ema

i know this is very late but this could help someone, the same thing happened to me in max 2016 with interaction Mode and accidentally i found a weird solution,

with Interaction Mode set to maya and "Maya Mode Selection" is ticked on under ‘Customize User Interface/Mouse’

the way to add to selection set without subtracting what is already selected is 

Shift+mouse-click   "BUT" PRESS Shift AFTER YOU START DRAWING THE SELECTION MARQUEE"

for some reason that worked !!!

hope it helps.

Message 9 of 9

I am a use of 3ds max for over 12 years, and I changed my mouse bindings to Maya, since is way better for my hand to use Alt+Left mouse then middle mouse. I tried many things, including mapping the start button to Ctrl+Alt and use it instead alt key. The best solution in my opinion is to manually configure mouse like Maya buttons. Only problem is deselect won`t work any more. To deselect, Left Click+Drag on the object, hold Alt and then release the drag and Alt. Its a bit weird to get used to but works. Maybe implement a better solution to this old and known problem ? Best thing would be to be able to customize keys for selection and deselect. I would use Ctrl+Alt to deselect, would be perfect. Also Shift functionality would be nice to be able to customize. The more options to customize buttons to anyone liking, the better.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report