Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3ds Max 2012 - Material Editor

21 REPLIES 21
Message 1 of 22
Anonymous
1231 Views, 21 Replies

3ds Max 2012 - Material Editor

Hello,

I installed 3ds max ( 2012 - English ) on my iMac via bootcamp, I have problems with the material editor.

When I click the shortcut M then select "GET MATERIAL" only the basic stuff are shown although I have set my render to "MENTAL RAY".

In the material / map broswer, i can only see: 
      (-Materials: +Standard +Mental ray +MetaSL
       -Maps: +Standard +Mental ray +MetaSL
       -Scene Materials: DefaultContourContrastShader (Contour Contrast Function Levels|) [Environment.....]
                             DefaultContourOutputShader (Contour Composite) [Environment]
                             DefaultContourStoreShader (Contour Store Function) [Environment]
                             DefaultContourShader (Glare) [Environment]
       -Sample Slots)

Please assist me, its URGENT, [I ATTACHED A PICTURE].

Thank you,
Noora
21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22
darawork
in reply to: Anonymous

http://www.autodesk.com/solutions/mac-compatible-software

It may well be that the materials shaders missing from the list are actually not supported on a mac via bootcamp. I did a search on the forum for a similar problem to yours but it didn't turn up any results that I could see. 😞

Darawork
AutoDesk User
Windows 10/11, 3DS Max 2022/24, Revit 2022, AutoCad 2024, Dell Precision 5810/20, ASUS DIY, nVidia Quadro P5000/RTX 5000/GTX760

Message 3 of 22
Anonymous
in reply to: darawork

Hey Darawork,

I've been using 3ds max on the iMac at uni since 2 years now, everything works fine there. 

I downloaded Windows on my iMac just to install 3ds max, as I said in the post the only problem I have is with the material editor.

Although on the university's pc it works perfectly.

is it related to the version i have whether it is a 3 years license or 30 days trial? if yes, please let me know how to double check the version i have.

Thanks

Message 4 of 22
darawork

I wouldn't say it is anything to do with your licence, more to do with the graphic mode being emulated on the mac.

Have you tried to launch Max in a different graphical mode?

[START MENU BUTTON] -> All Programs -> Autodesk -> Autodesk 3DS Max -> 'Change Graphic Mode'...

Try them all and see if anything changes?

Darawork
AutoDesk User
Windows 10/11, 3DS Max 2022/24, Revit 2022, AutoCad 2024, Dell Precision 5810/20, ASUS DIY, nVidia Quadro P5000/RTX 5000/GTX760

Message 5 of 22
Anonymous

I checked the 

[START MENU BUTTON] -> All Programs -> Autodesk -> Autodesk 3DS Max -> 'Change Graphic Mode'...

i tried all 3 modes and its still the same, the material editor didnt change. I need to fix this problem I wont be able to work on my projects without the material editor being fixed.

Smiley Sad

Message 6 of 22
Anonymous

i attached a clear image

Untitled.png

Message 7 of 22
CAMedeck

What exactly is missing?  From what I can tell, your screen shots look correct.  If you click the little + button next to mental ray, the rollout will expand showing the materials and maps available under that menu item.

Chris Medeck
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 8 of 22
Anonymous
in reply to: CAMedeck

These are not the materials i use in university, I have the student version - 2012. 3 years license, on my private PC the materials are not all available.

For example, Wood, Plastic, Paint, Glass, etc...

I attached more pictures.

Message 9 of 22
danderson

Scroll down past standard under maps there should be a mental ray sub group. After that there should be a Metsl group also.

3ds Dos 3 -3DS MAX 2015
I7-4820K
GTX 770 4 mb
16 Mb Ram
512 Gb SSD, 1.5 Tb Raid 0
Message 10 of 22
CAMedeck

You need to hit the plus sign (+) to expand the menu.  See, next to where it says mental ray, or standard.  Once you click that, it should roll open and show all of the available maps and materials.

Unless I'm totally misunderstanding?

Chris Medeck
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 11 of 22
PROH

Hi. To me all your pics. looks correct. They looks just like my own v2012. Could be that your school uses a special setup stored in a maxstart - file. If so, simply copy this file and bring it home. If that's not the case, try reading up on the subject in Max help files.

Hope it helps
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
3dsMax 4.2 to 2018
AutoCAD 2000 to 2018
Infrastructure Design Suite Premium 2012 to 2018

Message 12 of 22
Anonymous

I think you misunderstood me, i have the exact same version on my private pc.

i used to have an HP pc and i installed 3ds max on it, it was 100% like the one in uni.

lately, i bought an iMac, installed windows via bootcamp just to install 3dsmax on windows.

i captured the material i have on the old HP pc, i will attach the images here. the images shown are exactly like the one in university but not like the one i have on the iMac.

the materials i posted in the previous comments are the one on the iMac that i need to fix.

Message 13 of 22
Anonymous
in reply to: PROH

Check the last comment I posted.

i attached a picture of the material editor im looking for.

Message 14 of 22
CAMedeck

You're missing the Autodesk Material library.  For what it's worth, those materials are not the greatest and I would recommend using Arch & Design instead.  The Autodesk materials tend to render slow, and there is little room for optimization or customization.

As to why they did not install, I can't be sure.  It's been a while since I've done a 2012 install, but I'm pretty sure they would have installed automatically and were not an additional install.

Let me look into it a little...

Chris Medeck

EESignature

Message 15 of 22
Anonymous

The problem is that Autodesk Material library is important to complete the maps and materials on the 3d models i did.

if i didnt have this option then i would have to spend a lot of time in uni to complete my projects.Smiley Sad

Message 16 of 22
CAMedeck

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/3ds-max-3ds-max-design-general/missing-autodesk-material-library/m-p/4...

See if this post helps you.

Chris Medeck

EESignature

Message 17 of 22
Anonymous

YOOOOOOU MAAAAAADE MY DAAAAAAAY Smiley Very Happy

THAAAANKS A LOT, ur the BEST

IT FINALLY WORKED Smiley Very Happy

Apparently the Material library 2012 wasn't installed. thanks to your link it made everything clear.

Message 18 of 22
CAMedeck

Glad it worked for you.  In the future, try to be as specific and descriptive as you can when explaining your problem.  Once I understood it was the Autodesk materials missing, I did a search on the AREA and found that link.  Using the right words can help others with the same problem find the solution quicker.  🙂

Chris Medeck

EESignature

Message 19 of 22
Anonymous

Sure, Thanks again i appreciate your help.

"THUMBS UP"

Message 20 of 22
Steve_Curley

"Thumbs Up" is what the Kudos button on each post is for 😛 (make sure you click the right one)

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report