Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3DS Max 2011 vs 2014 - Still possible to follow my course?

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
dandelion.dlhs
625 Views, 3 Replies

3DS Max 2011 vs 2014 - Still possible to follow my course?

Hey everyone,

I am enrolled on a course for 3D modelling and animation using 3DS Max (2011 version for some reason) and all instructions are set up for the 2011 version.

When my CD went missing I asked Autodesk if there was a student version to download and they pointed me here (thanks by the way who told me!). So I downloaded the 2011 version from the software list but when I come to install it, I just get "You need to have the following volume to continue extraction" and then asks me to insert a CD with the relevent .rar file on it. 

Obviously I can't get this to install so I was wondering if much has changed in the newer versions of 3DS max and I will be able to still do my course's instructions/tests with a newer version of the software?

I have emailed them also but I have not had a response in a while so figured I would try here.

Many thanks in advance!

(see image for error)

Tags (1)
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

The download is in 2 parts, the one you have (self-extracting .exe) and the one you don't. It's really one huge file but split into 2. Go back to the download site and see if you can locate the 2nd part.

Most of the course should be do-able in 2014, though things have changed and will likely look different. You would be better trying to find part 2 of the download - especially if you're not overly familiar with Max, or sufficiently so as to translate between the 2 versions. You would also have to avoid any of the new features, and remember to save any scenes you need to submit as 2011 scenes (or your tutors may not be able to load them).

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 3 of 4

Many thanks for your quick reply, I will look for the second part now. 

Good point about the use of newer features and being unable to read them, I will have to get the 2011 version working then.

Edit: Unable to find another part. This is where I downloaded it: http://www.autodesk.com/education/free-software/3ds-max

It just has a "browser download" button and no other downloads that I can find. I know this is probably not it but thought I would ask; is this the second part? http://www.autodesk.com/education/free-software/3ds-max-design

Edit: found the solution here: http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=21889745&linkID=9240617

Many thanks for your help!

Message 4 of 4
eldanfales
in reply to: dandelion.dlhs

Is the course You were doing back then the War Thunder CDK ?

Shoot before You see the whites of their eyes and You have a good chance of winning.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report