Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3ds 2015: Lock certain vertices in mesh to position and continue editing

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
boldaster
5105 Views, 8 Replies

3ds 2015: Lock certain vertices in mesh to position and continue editing

I would like to lock specific vertices in a mesh to their positions so they won't move or apply constraints so that they won't move along certain axii when I'm editing the mesh.

After searching the internet I came across the suggestion to add a poly select modifer with the vertices selected and apply an linked xform constrained to a dummy. I tried this but after applying the linked xform I couldn't move any other vertices and if I applied another edit poly modifier the vertices that had the xform were no longer constrained.

This seems like a pretty basic and fundamental feature so I'm sure there must be a simple method to achieve this in 3d studio after sixteen version iterations.

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
big-blue
in reply to: boldaster

If you have an editable mesh, in vertex sub-object, in selection rollout, click hide button to hide the selected verts so you cannot any more select and move it. If you have an editable poly, it is the button "hide selected" in the "edit geometry" rollout. It's a easy way to "lock" vertices during the modelling process. 

Message 3 of 9
chimera15
in reply to: big-blue

No, this doesn't work, you can still move the vertices.  Especially with the polybrush tools.  This is like a basic thing when you're modelling, especially when working in symmetry.   You can still move them around and this always breaks symmetry which is frustrating as hell when working with a mesh.  It needs to be added to the freeform tools.  I've been looking for a way to do this for years with no luck.   It's one of my biggest pet peeves with modeling in max.

Message 4 of 9
GoSha24ru
in reply to: chimera15

You can hide certain polygons of your mesh before painting. Partially works for me.

Message 5 of 9
GoSha24ru
in reply to: GoSha24ru

It seems to be good to add a function "Paint on selected only". Something like mask in Z-brush.

Message 6 of 9

Hello all,

For features you want to see in Max, please use the Feature Request board.   When you submit a request, post the link to that request in the forum thread here about it and then other users can quickly and easily vote on the issue.  From my experience this is the best way to get a feature into 3ds Max.  Thanks!

Best Regards,

Message 7 of 9
hansolocambo

Sounds so much like a very necessary feature after having worked years with ZBrush. Just amazing that

1/ this doesn't exist in Max yet (but so many other mandatory things, like a proper gizmo, are missing...)

2/ so many users consider that hiding parts of the mesh a "solution".

We want to be able to see the whole mesh. While being sure parts of it won't move. Of course one can always detach the part of the mesh that shouldn't be modified. But still : doesn't feel good enough. 

Message 8 of 9
crimson97430
in reply to: hansolocambo

It's still not here in 3ds 2020? there must be a huge list of very important features to add to 3ds max, like vertex locking for instance. but it seems that Autodesk doesn't care about what user experience. Just take a look at how useless the 2020 trailer is... I think I can ask, in the name of every 3ds max users : What are you doing?

Message 9 of 9
marcwe

if you select vertices and use the "paint deformation", in editable poly, the brush will affect only selected vertices (without additional modifier, just select vertices to paint)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report