Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3dmax 2015 - Scene disappears in viewport as I move my mouse around

18 REPLIES 18
Message 1 of 19
hirethestache
3278 Views, 18 Replies

3dmax 2015 - Scene disappears in viewport as I move my mouse around

Running into a strange issue when using my Wacom Intuos Pen & Touch tablet with 3D15. Every time I move my cursor around via a hover movement, the scene in any given viewport disappears until I set my cursor down. It does not flicker when I perform a click action (such as orbiting/panning/moving objects/etc), only when I hover. Likewise, I have not been able to replicate this with a standard mouse.

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19

i just wanted to confirm this problem. also when the may 2015 starts up, the icons are gone until i hover over them.

Message 3 of 19
VishnuR
in reply to: denis.mujakovic

Hello to everyone reporting above issue.

Can you please send info on what exact version of Windows you are using?
Also, what is your exact graphics card and driver version?

Thanks/VR

Vishnu Ramdass
Message 4 of 19
VishnuR
in reply to: VishnuR

Just a friendly reminder please provide info requested above. Might provide clues as to why some are experiencing this.

I'm  also still curious if other users reporting this are also using tablet devices and any kind of special computer mouse, or standard ones.

Thanks/VR

Vishnu Ramdass
Message 5 of 19
EC_SB

I can confirm the same issue with my system. (Disappearing viewport, menu icons).

I also happen to have the Wacom Intuos pen & touch tablet.

One other thing that doesn't appear is the slice plane rectangle when in an Editable Mesh, subobject mode.

System is Mac Pro (black cylinder) with two AMD Firepro D300 graphic cards (2GB VRAM).

Win 8.1 running on boot camp. Dual monitors.

3D settings under graphics card are set to default or application controlled.

I just enabled the Triple Buffering option under graphic card settings for OpenGL.  I think that helps with the viewport disappearing issue (not 100%).  Max is using Nitrous Direct3D 11.0, so maybe the OpenGL setting doesn't really affect this.

Thanks,

EC

Message 6 of 19
denis.mujakovic

i am on windows 7 and geforc gtx titan, with 344.11. the recent driver updates however did not change anything.

interestingly, 3ds max is the only software with this behaviour. pro piece of software right there.

cant wait for next year so i can exchange hard cash for another set of showstopping bugs.

Message 7 of 19
VishnuR

Thanks for the updates everyone. I've added your info to the report on this issue.

Denis, are you also using any type of tablet device, Wacom, etc?
Regards/VR

Vishnu Ramdass
Message 8 of 19
denis.mujakovic

hi vishnu,

yes. as the OP, i also use the wacom intuos tablet.

its quite annoying.

i have to "refresh" the icons by hovering over them in order to see them. 

within the viewport i have to constantly wiggle the perspective for the objects to reappear.

Message 9 of 19
VishnuR

Thanks for your last update Denis.
I'm collecting everyone's and submitting into the report on this.
Once commonalities are found, will make troubleshooting this one a lot easier

Regards/VR

Vishnu Ramdass
Message 10 of 19

Hi, I'm getting a similar issue when using Ctrl click to select multiple items in the viewport, everything just disappears until I click to select the next mesh, it seems related to the Ctrl command. The buttons do sometimes disappear too and then reappear on mouseover.

PC Spec:

HP Z600 Workstation

Intel Xeon CPU E5640 2.67GHz

24GB RAM

There is a Wacom attached but rarely used so maybe the driver is conflicting?

I also have a 3D Connexion which is unusable with large scenes due to extreme lag.

3D Studio user from v.4 DOS through to current MAX version.
HP Z600 Workstation, 24GB RAM, Win 7, nVidia Quadro 4000 Gfx
Message 11 of 19
VishnuR
in reply to: mitchelsfold

Thanks for the info Mitchel and others here.
Am entering your updates in the report logged for this.

And maybe a tip received from other user will help you in the meantime:
Minimize then Maximize the  3ds Max screen.

Snap window to full screen and see if tools return. 

Hope it helps until this issue is fully understood and resolved.

Regards/VR

Vishnu Ramdass
Message 12 of 19
Stefan_L

I doubt that the empty viewports are related to the disappearing buttons.

I don't have empty viewports and I don't have a Wacom, but the buttons of my Main Toolbar (and no other toolbar or UI element) disappear reliably after some computationally intensive actions like welding zillions of vertices, stopping/cancelling a medium size render job, scipts generating lots of geometry...

I easily get them back by triggering some kind of a screen refresh;

- pressing M twice to hide and show the (compact) mat editor

- closing and opening the Scene Explorer

- hovering the framebuffer over them (or - less efficient 🙂 - just the mouse pointer)

- as you said min- and maximizing the whole application

I don't care much and put this in the same they-messed-up-again box like the transparent "no man's land"-frame on the sides and the bottom of the main program window 🙂

But empty viewports would bother me much more!

--
Stefan

i7-2600 @ 3,4GHz, 32GB Ram,
512+128GB SSDs + 2x500GB HD
GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB + GTX 980 4GB
latest Driver (almost always)
Win7ProX64 SP1
Message 13 of 19
darawork
in reply to: Stefan_L

Same as above ^

Plus the 'vertex subobject selection disappearing until they are blindly selected' trick. Specs below.

Darawork
AutoDesk User
Windows 10/11, 3DS Max 2022/24, Revit 2022, AutoCad 2024, Dell Precision 5810/20, ASUS DIY, nVidia Quadro P5000/RTX 5000/GTX760

Message 14 of 19

I don't know if this is related but I have also noticed the gizmo for Slice Plain in Sub-object level is not visible in 2015.

Message 15 of 19
EC_SB

I have noticed this for editable mesh. However, you should be able to see the slice plain for editable poly.

Message 16 of 19
mitchelsfold
in reply to: EC_SB

Yep it sure is... thanks for that.

Message 17 of 19
RobH2

I'll throw my hat in the ring on this. I have the issue too and have a Wacom Intuos 5 Touch. It's very frustrating.

Rob Holmes

EESignature

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3ds Max (2023-2025), V-Ray 6.2, Ryzen 9 3950-X Processor, DDR 4 128MB, Gigabyte Aorus X570 Master motherboard, Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 M.2 drives, NVidia RTX 4090, Space Pilot Pro, Windows 11 Pro x64, Tri-Monitor, Cintiq 13HD, Windows 11 x64
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 18 of 19
eodeo
in reply to: RobH2

I have this problem too. Not that it was very annoying, but still- now that I read about it - I do have it.

I have Windows 7 sp1 fully updated with gtx 660 with the latest available nvidia drivers. Max 2015 sp3. It only happened in taxing scenes, if I'm not mistaken

Message 19 of 19
RobH2
in reply to: eodeo

I has assumed I was running out of resources. I had 16GB ram and a Quadro 4000 video adapter. I upgraded to 32GB ram and a Quadro K5200 and thought I'd never see this issue again, but, throwing that much power at it still didn't fix it.

Rob Holmes

EESignature

3ds Max (2023-2025), V-Ray 6.2, Ryzen 9 3950-X Processor, DDR 4 128MB, Gigabyte Aorus X570 Master motherboard, Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 M.2 drives, NVidia RTX 4090, Space Pilot Pro, Windows 11 Pro x64, Tri-Monitor, Cintiq 13HD, Windows 11 x64

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report