Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3D visualisations for new builds

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
jonm4y
318 Views, 4 Replies

3D visualisations for new builds

hey guys,

i have two issues with 3ds max that occur time and time again and i was wondering if someone could help me out?

basically i am a building development visualiser and have been for many years. i usually deal with 3d visualisations for new builds with up to 40-50 houses but every now and again i get asked to produce a 100 house plots. i have a top of the range machine yet my computer really struggles when it comes to processing 100 houses. im always after realism in my work so i dont like to shortcut things like pasting textures of windows and doors instead of modelling them. i like to model everything in detail. is there a way to optimise my models? i would think that 3ds max these days could handle a simple housing development, especially when it gets used for huge movie projects. i use layers, wireframe when rotating my models and i use the 'display as box' option for some of the houses, but it still struggles to rotate and pan the scene!

my second question, also based on house modelling...
say i have a scene with 40 houses, i put each house on its own layer...
how do i set up a 'group layer' where i can group houses 1-10 and show or hide them in one go, without affecting the individual houses layer?
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
sendil81
in reply to: jonm4y

If all the houses is same model use proxy. It will give the result.

Message 3 of 5
darawork
in reply to: sendil81

Sounds like a good idea, here is a tutorial on mrProxies: http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/3ds-max/getting-started/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2015/ENU/3DSM...

From the topic: http://help.autodesk.com/view/3DSMAX/2015/ENU/?guid=GUID-B4E23283-1B97-4676-8650-C6453D9FBC0F

Also contains useful information about 'Particle Trees' (could be handy for landscaping in large housing scenes?).

Darawork
AutoDesk User
Windows 10/11, 3DS Max 2022/24, Revit 2022, AutoCad 2024, Dell Precision 5810/20, ASUS DIY, nVidia Quadro P5000/RTX 5000/GTX760

Message 4 of 5
JamesClarke3D
in reply to: jonm4y

For our large projects we xref pieces of the scenes into different components that makes sense based on the artist working on them. For viewport speeds, personally I don't like the display as box due to lag going in & out of box mode, and have found shaded views (sans-shadows, AO, etc.) to be best (though that may be just a personal workflow holdover from Direct3D vs OpenGL pre-Nitrous era.) But it comes down to, onyl load (xref) or show (hide) what is relevant to be working on currently, for best performance. Only turn everything on when it comes time to submit the render....

For hiding groups of buidlings, any number of tools at your disposal just depends on what fits into your pipeline the best: Layer organization, xref scenes on/off, Selection Sets, Scene States, or, heaven forbid - grouping (ah, bad!). 🙂 Personally I pretty much get away with proper layer management and xrefs for the most part.

---------------------------
| LinkedIn | @SnipeyX |
Message 5 of 5
drendir
in reply to: JamesClarke3D

How many polygons are you dealing with / house?... for 200.000 polygons you should have a very detailed exterior house in my opinion. 

3dstudio max 2016/2017
Windows 7 & 10

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report