Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2014 Viewport Background Image No Lock/Pan Zoom

26 REPLIES 26
Message 1 of 27
reedospeedo
73096 Views, 26 Replies

2014 Viewport Background Image No Lock/Pan Zoom

I just started using 2014 and i cant find the lock/pan zoom option for viewport background images. was it moved someone where else?

26 REPLIES 26
Message 2 of 27
irispolar
in reply to: reedospeedo

Press Alt+B keys.
Is not there?

Message 3 of 27
Steve_Curley

Open the Max Help > What's new in 2014 > What's new in Viewports. In the "2D Pan and Zoom" section:-

This feature replaces the Lock Zoom/Pan checkbox used in previous versions
If you're using background images as references for modeling then use a "virtual studio" instead (images on Plane objects) - it's generally considered a better way to do the job (and was even when the Lock options existed).

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 4 of 27
mitchgates
in reply to: Steve_Curley

If using textured planes is the preferred way of working then please give us an option to shade a non-selected object while rest of viewport is wireframe!!!
Message 5 of 27
aon.914858227
in reply to: mitchgates

Create a standard material.

Check 'Wire' in the shader Basic parameter.

Assign it to the geometry you want displayed as wireframe.

Message 6 of 27
mitchgates
in reply to: aon.914858227

Not a very elegant solution since wire materials show all your edges (triangles) in view. Better solution is to apply a semi transparent material to the object or set visibility to low value under object properties, then turn on edge faces.
Message 7 of 27
Steve_Curley
in reply to: mitchgates

See-Thru mode as a starter (Alt+X) - works better with a Shaded viewport than a Realistic one.
Another option, and one I've used for years, is a Standard Material (no maps) with the Opacity animated from 0 to 100 over 5 frames. Just scrub the time slider to alter the opacity while modeling. When you're ready to animate the scene, or start texturing, just replace the material.

What would be nice would be if the viewports properly respected the Layer Properties, then you could have any mix of wireframe and shaded objects you like. Doesn't seem to work here 😞

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Message 8 of 27
gandhics

You should use "2D Pan Zoom mode".

If you want to zoom/pan otrhgraphic view, make a narrow fov perspective view and turn on "2D Pan Zoom mode".

Message 9 of 27
HocRevit
in reply to: gandhics

22-08-2013 8-19-21 AM.jpg

I just can pan ,can't zoom?????????? help me!!!!!

Message 10 of 27
jon
Enthusiast
in reply to: HocRevit

Here's how you get shaded objects in wireframe views:

- Open the layer manager
- Create a new layer
-click on the icon next to the layer's name to get the layer properties dialog. This looks just like the object properties dialog, with 1 exception...
-change the "Display" dropdown at the upper right of the dialog from "Viewport" to "Shaded".
-Create your reference plane objects in the layer you just made.
-In those objects' properties set the display properties to "By Layer".
Message 11 of 27
Steve_Curley
in reply to: jon

I knew there was something I'd missed - changing the Object Properties to ByLayer. Works a treat now 🙂

Probably still use the Animated Opacity material method though - I'm used to it 🙂

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Message 12 of 27
JezEmin
in reply to: Steve_Curley

Thanks guy, that was sooooo helpful 🙂

-------------------------------------------------
3d rendering services
Asus X299-SAGE, 7980xe @ 4000mhz, Corsair Hydro H150i Pro,
1Tb Samsung M.2, 128Gb Corsair LPX DDR4,
2 x Nvidia RTX 3090 FE,
3DS Max 2023.1 (3DS Max 2022.3, 3DS Max 2021.3 as backup)
Windows 10 Pro.
Message 13 of 27
victorw

Why on earth this had to be removed??? was people complaining about it? You made something so easy to model things with reference pictures, that was a simple click, now a whole set of steps....

Victor Wolansky
Flame / VFX Artist
Message 14 of 27
jon
Enthusiast
in reply to: victorw

Victor, you might be interested in my Proportional Image Plane script, which gives you 2-click access to create modeling reference planes that stay in proportion and shade in wireframe views.

www.jonseagull.com/downloads.shtml

Message 15 of 27

Oh my god this is such a idiotic idea,sorry!!!!!I think i start learning maya when MAX becomes more "user friendly" like this....

anyway, i found something usefull, not to freak out on that new sueper feature!!!:

workarround

thanks to this guy.....

Message 16 of 27
shaziaali

Hi,

I am using 3ds Max 2014. I put ref image on front viewport but i cant pan and zoom the ref image plz help me for this

Message 17 of 27
jshizzle
in reply to: shaziaali

Are you seriously telling us that the preferred workflow is using a freaking image plane?!?!  that's BS!   Why would you remove lock/pan zoom in orthographic view.  You can't even use 2D pan and zoom in an orthographic view!!!! Autodesk!!!! You are endlessly frustrating!!

Message 18 of 27
MalcolmPlays

Hi i am having the same problem i cant find the 2d zoom/pan option where is it?

Message 19 of 27
commerce

This is such a ridiculous change. Why on earth they would drop this?

yes I can create textures and map them on geomnetry but this means a dirty 10 second job becomes a 5 minute job. Cropping fotos to right aspect, setting layers. 

Stop fixing stuff that does work. 

just put it back ok. 

Message 20 of 27
commerce

This is such a ridiculous change. Why on earth they would drop this?

yes I can create textures and map them on geomnetry but this means a dirty 10 second job becomes a 5 minute job. Cropping fotos to right aspect, setting layers etc. 

Stop fixing stuff that does work. 

just put it back ok. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report