Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

State Sets errors

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
damon
8480 Views, 14 Replies

State Sets errors

Hi,

I am getting lots of State set errors again.

Ive included the log

How does one fix them? Why is this hapening?

3 states have encountered errors and have been disabled to allow you to continue working. Please report this to Autodesk by sending us the following text:

State type: Autodesk.Max.StateSets.Entities.StateSets.Nodes.State
Error: System.ArgumentException: An item with the same key has already been added.
   at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2.Insert(TKey key, TValue value, Boolean add)
   at Autodesk.Max.StateSets.Entities.StateSets.Nodes.State.GetAllCurrentProperties()
   at Autodesk.Max.StateSets.Entities.StateSets.Nodes.State.BeginRecording()
   at Autodesk.Max.StateSets.Entities.StateSets.State.BeginRecording(IState state)

Error: System.ArgumentException: An item with the same key has already been added.
   at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2.Insert(TKey key, TValue value, Boolean add)
   at Autodesk.Max.StateSets.Entities.StateSets.Nodes.State.GetAllCurrentProperties()

Tags (1)
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
darawork
in reply to: damon

It sounds like something in your scene has the exact same name twice. Either the Scenestate Set name, or an item in that scene.

Darawork
AutoDesk User
Windows 10/11, 3DS Max 2022/24, Revit 2022, AutoCad 2024, Dell Precision 5810/20, ASUS DIY, nVidia Quadro P5000/RTX 5000/GTX760

Message 3 of 15
damon
in reply to: darawork

Thanks for getting back to me.

I had a look through Select From Scene and could not see any. Is there a better way of hunting them down?

Checked the scene materials and also cant find anything there.

Any more ideas?

D

Message 4 of 15
darawork

You could have a look through here, sorry for not actually finding it for you: http://www.scriptspot.com/search/apachesolr_search/duplicates?filters=type%3Ascript

Maybe this one from Paul Neale: http://www.scriptspot.com/search/apachesolr_search/duplicate%20name%20finder ?

To get it to work, put the script into your /programfiles/autodesk/3dsmax***/scripts folder and then go into Max, customise UI, Toolbars and scroll down to PEN Tools. Then drag the Duplicate_name_finder line to your top toolbar. The command can be activated from there.

I just tried it in one of my scenes, it found loads of duplicates. Strange though, because I use State Sets in this scene and do not get the error you get.

Do you perhaps have a Scene Set 'name' duplication?

Darawork
AutoDesk User
Windows 10/11, 3DS Max 2022/24, Revit 2022, AutoCad 2024, Dell Precision 5810/20, ASUS DIY, nVidia Quadro P5000/RTX 5000/GTX760

Message 5 of 15
damon

Hi,

Lots has gone on since my last reply.

I ran the script and found lots of duplicate PF Events. The script lets me select them but the comand pannel says 2 Objects selected. Renamed one in the select from scene It still comes up and a dupliucate name.

I tried to get rid of the scene states altogether. It apeards that that is not an easy task. Is there a way of compleatly getting rid of it?

Max2015 then started corrupting the scene on save. I now merged everything back into max 2014 and am staying with 2014.

I think scene states are dangerous.  If you do use it it should be for shomthing at the very end of a project. Every time I have used scene states I get errors.

Message 6 of 15
Anonymous

Hi, i just had a state sets nightmare on the project im working on.

I thought it would speed up the 30+ animation sequences i had to do by allowing me to setup renders and which parts are on which render, but i burnt more and more time on managing sets in MAX 2014 sp3 that did not record changes, and then 2014 sp5 that wont let you clone things.

State sets are a timebomb, they should only be use on small simple projects or completed ones. Dont build a project on them. 

I was forced to back out of sets to rescue the work before managing it got worse, or everything was lost.

Everything was layered up anyway, so i just unhid everything, selected all, and saved selected out, and imported everything into a new scene from scratch.

I dont think i was able to open the saved out scene directly as it was totally corrupted. Work from copies whatever you do in a separate folder. 

State sets in the new scene were never invoked, and everthing instantly got more managable and less random again. I think they have totally messed them up, 2015 sp1 has only apparently fixed the ability to clone a state.

This kept the layers, and removed the sets completely. I will never use state sets ever again. Its too buggy and too random with errors and object visibility for large complex scenes. They should make this clearer.

Hope that helps, thats what i did,

Steve

Message 7 of 15
damon
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Steve,

That's the best advice I've heard so far. I just managed to get most of my work out of Max 2015 and imported it back into max 2014.

It's been a big waste of unpaid time. I am also not touching the state set buitton again.

Does anyone actually use statsets? I used to use the old scenestates all the time. I've never been able to do any thing with statesets except corrupt my work.

Thanks

D

Tags (1)
Message 8 of 15
Anonymous

Hi D, this project was the first and last time I used them. I was exploring new features, and after a brief test decided to use State Sets. I do single scene projects, with 30+ animated render sequences where each follows on from the lasts in terms of objects and adds unique objects to each sequence. 

I was trying to optimise my time, so i could setup all the sequences on the timeline and the render setups layers and visiblity for each sequence [render pass]. I just wanted to jump between states and have the timeline and all the objects appear. This never happened. I wasted my time.

It got more and more complex to manage. It was a combination of the bugs and issues that MAX has in 2014 sp3/5 where the state would not record any new changes after returning to it, they fixed this, but then the clone state did not work, so its pointless. Layers that each state should have visible were never there, it was not fit for purpose to begin with.

The main issue for me was that the layers, new objects and states were too complex to get correct to make it worth bothering, this combined with the bugs that really should not have been allowed into the release was getting less and less predictable all the time. 

So im back to manually moving the timeline to where the spreadsheet tells me it should be, making the background and sequence layer visible [the layers are all now totally self contained with cloned objects for common parts and unique objects], manually setting up the render frames, names, and backburner setup, and hitting go. It is all this stuff that i was looking for with state sets, but its apparantly too hard to manage to make happen. I still cant belive that MAX cant do all this. Its a silly waste of my time to have to do these repetitive tasks that MAX should be doing for me. I have had advice that "Render Pass Manager" is the plugin to do this with, it does look good, I will consider it. 

In the mean time, I will remain aware that MAX has a history [I've used it since version 3] of being released with massive known bugs that dont get fixed before release, and people are not notified of these limitations in features.

Ive been in software development a long time, and the bugs in state sets are the kind of thing that get tested, are released as known bugs. What they dont seem to realise is that these things can bring down a project, and waste months. I would far rather wait for a reliable feature and have a solid version of max, than jump on the next feature, use it and during a project realise that its totally broken, before trying to back out of it without loosing everything. As an example of this, i read that the new sub layers are broken, if you import objects from a file then the sub layers are lost. 

I'm long in the tooth using MAX. The advice I would give is that its got so many foibles and bugs/issues and new features per version [year or SP] that it takes a year to work out the personality of the version you're using before you know what to avoid and how to get the best out of it. Then you get told of the next version thats got all the nice new features. You do what they want and install it, and then spend the next year working out the personality of that version, complicated by the new features [with the bugs that they will have], and the service packs that introduce the new bugs and fix some issues. 

My advice on MAX is, stick to the version you have and get to know it so you can get the best from it.

But like me you will always think that the next version will be better and have more fixes. 

If we take state sets as an example, it seems that its taking about 3/4 versions [2012-2015] of max after introduction of the feature to get it fit for purposes. Which is completely crazy. I think they were built for simple or complete projects.

Steve

Tags (2)
Message 9 of 15
damon

Hi Steve.

Again I agree with you.

State Sets is being peddeled out as a feature when it is infact unusable.

Would Atodesk like to coment?

Tags (2)
Message 10 of 15
info_1

I am furious about this. spent a day trying to do some basic workflows that normally do with render presets and the batch renderer and ocasionally scene states. I'm not clear what the benefit of state sets would be if it did work.

Message 11 of 15
Anonymous

hi darawork... in my max file state sets window opens the dialog appears white. I am unable to create state sets. i noticed that when i open state sets window there is folder create automatically  of state sets into the plugcfg folder C:\Users\user name\AppData\Local\Autodesk\3dsMax\2014 - 64bit\ENU\en-US\plugcfg. But it does not happen in 3ds max 2016.

But after deleting state sets folder from plugcfg folder when i open fresh 3ds max 2014 application state sets appears or working absolutely fine. the error comes when i open previous version max file. i am sending error file please open it in 3ds max 2014.

I notice some value changed in state sets file named "DefaultWindowLayout.xml" i am sending u those coding which shows error:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-16"?>
<!--DockPanel configuration file. Author: Weifen Luo, all rights reserved.-->
<!--!!! AUTOMATICALLY GENERATED FILE. DO NOT MODIFY !!!-->
<DockPanel FormatVersion="1.0" DockLeftPortion="0.25" DockRightPortion="0.25" DockTopPortion="0.25" DockBottomPortion="0.25" ActiveDocumentPane="-1" ActivePane="-1">
<Contents Count="0" />
<Panes Count="0" />
<DockWindows>
<DockWindow ID="0" DockState="Document" ZOrderIndex="0">
<NestedPanes Count="0" />
</DockWindow>
<DockWindow ID="1" DockState="DockLeft" ZOrderIndex="1">
</DockWindow>
<DockWindow ID="2" DockState="DockRight" ZOrderIndex="2">
</DockWindow>
<DockWindow ID="3" DockState="DockTop" ZOrderIndex="3">
</DockWindow>
<DockWindow ID="4" DockState="DockBottom" ZOrderIndex="4">
</DockWindow>
</DockWindows>
<FloatWindows Count="0" />
</DockPanel>

and "DefaultWindowPosition.config" file values are:

536 100 293 637

And the below DefaultWindowLayout.xml file coding shows no error (works fine):

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-16"?>
<!--DockPanel configuration file. Author: Weifen Luo, all rights reserved.-->
<!--!!! AUTOMATICALLY GENERATED FILE. DO NOT MODIFY !!!-->
<DockPanel FormatVersion="1.0" DockLeftPortion="0.25" DockRightPortion="0.25" DockTopPortion="0.25" DockBottomPortion="0.25" ActiveDocumentPane="0" ActivePane="0">
<Contents Count="1">
<Content ID="0" PersistString="TreePanel,1,State Sets 1" AutoHidePortion="0.25" IsHidden="False" IsFloat="False" />
</Contents>
<Panes Count="1">
<Pane ID="0" DockState="Document" ActiveContent="0">
<Contents Count="1">
<Content ID="0" RefID="0" />
</Contents>
</Pane>
</Panes>
<DockWindows>
<DockWindow ID="0" DockState="Document" ZOrderIndex="0">
<NestedPanes Count="1">
<Pane ID="0" RefID="0" PrevPane="-1" Alignment="Right" Proportion="0.5" />
</NestedPanes>
</DockWindow>
<DockWindow ID="1" DockState="DockLeft" ZOrderIndex="2">
</DockWindow>
<DockWindow ID="2" DockState="DockRight" ZOrderIndex="3">
</DockWindow>
<DockWindow ID="3" DockState="DockTop" ZOrderIndex="4">
</DockWindow>
<DockWindow ID="4" DockState="DockBottom" ZOrderIndex="5">
</DockWindow>
</DockWindows>
<FloatWindows Count="0" />
</DockPanel>

and "DefaultWindowPosition.config" file values are (no error): 

104 104 293 637

Message 12 of 15
darawork

Hi,

Sorry to hear you are having problems. I am also sorry that I can't help you with the deep technicalities of the errors, I don't work for AutoDesk or have an in-depth knowledge of the code behind the software. I am just a regular user. I also do not have 2014 installed anymore (only 2016 / 2017).

Hopefully someone else with a bit more technical ability can help you out, be they an actual AutoDesk employee or otherwise. 

One tip I will give you is that a lot of GUI (Graphic User Interface) errors arise from a corrupt profile folder, and renaming your ENU folder generally fixes most of these errors. Read here for more information: https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/3ds-max/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Resett...

Darawork
AutoDesk User

Message 13 of 15
Alfred.DeFlaminis

Hello @Anonymous,

I'm catching up on this thread, it was created before I started my job here.  Is there a specific question you have or action you'd like me to take on this?  I saw in your other thread that you solved your issue, but I wanted to follow up in this thread too.  

Thank you and best regards,

Message 14 of 15
triffski

After two hours of running in circles/into walls, I've worked out the most (dare I say, only) way to use State Sets.

1. States > Options > Reset State Sets (delete everything)
  2. Record your frame ranges in the camera name
  3. Manually set your output and RE paths
  4. Submit your cameras/frame ranges one at a time to Deadline/Backburner

And there you have it! No .NET errors, no blank State Sets windows, no big red X covering the window, no restarting of Max every five minutes, reliable renders you can actually trust will be named correctly and in the right folder etc etc. Most importantly, no State Sets.

State Sets was a "feature" I ignored when it arrived 5 or 6 years ago expecting it might be a little unstable and would improve with age. Sadly not. It's an absolute time bomb, the only valid reason for it being in an app like 3ds Max is to give Autodesk a fancy sounding bullet point on their product page.

Shame it's not actually usable even after all this time, I dread to think what that Compositor Link "feature" does. That's two hours of my life I won't get back, and I won't be going there again.

Top tip: I use Deadline (free for up to 2 nodes), keep the RE names agnostic (just the pass name) and have Deadline automatically put them into a sub-folder of my main output. It means all my comps have passes with identical names (RsDepth, VRayReflections etc etc) but if you're well organised when comping it's not an issue. Screengrab attached of my Deadline repathing setup.

Top Tip #2: Don't search for 'State Sets' on these forums, it throws up an error and fails. Just like State Sets itself, bless. Screenshot also attached. 🙂

Message 15 of 15
Polygonfabrik
in reply to: triffski

Thanks. This worked!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report