Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STATE SET ERROR

21 REPLIES 21
SOLVED
Message 1 of 22
R.Tranter27
9073 Views, 21 Replies

STATE SET ERROR

state set error.png

21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22

Hello @R.Tranter27,

Thank you for posting this.  Is there any information you can give me about this error?  Steps to reproduce or some ideas about what you were doing when this occurred?  I checked the crash logs but I gather this doesn't crash 3ds Max so there is no data there.

We have a bug report for this error, but it was unable to be reproduced.  Any information at all might help me to log this again with the repro steps. 

Best Regards,

Message 3 of 22

I was combining a diffuse and normal map the textures would display so I
turned in the texture map setting located in the view port configuration
menu from 512 I think was the number to 4096 other then that I don't know
how it happened I have looked on your forums I'm not they only person this
has ever happened to I'll send a link in another email I have reinstalled
and it is still there I need this for studying
Message 4 of 22
R.Tranter27
in reply to: R.Tranter27

I was combining a diffuse and normal map the textures would display so I turned in the texture map setting located in the view port configuration menu from 512 I think was the number to 4096 other then that I don't know how it happened I have looked on your forums I'm not they only person this has ever happened to I'll send a link in another email I have reinstalled and it is still there I need this for studying  these are some other people with state set errors tried all the fixes and nothing still have even tried a reinstall and nothing I'm almost at the end of a unit in my course at evocca college http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/3ds-max-3ds-max-design-forum/state-sets-errors/td-p/5117824 and http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/3ds-max-3ds-max-design-forum/state-sets-file-open-exception/td-p/56624... this one talks of a legacy format to send files from 2016 to 2015 but I don't know how to do that http://forums.cgsociety.org/archive/index.php?t-1336292.html I have no steps for reproducing it state set error.pngstate set error in new sceen.pngstate set error 3.png

Message 5 of 22

Hello @R.Tranter27,

Thank you for the information.  Though I am unable to reproduce this error, I have logged this in the bug tracker with a link to this thread.  You may want to make sure you have the latest service pack installed for 2015.

In order to save your file for use in a lower version of 3ds Max, use the File->Save As dialog and you can select older versions under "Save As Type".  For 2015 files, you can just open them in 2016.  It isn't clear to me if that will solve your problem however.  

Best Regards,

Message 6 of 22

all my file are linked to mud box as im in the middle of a unit at Evocca
college nd m not sure if I can relink the files back up or how to
Message 7 of 22

Hello @R.Tranter27,

I'm not sure relinking is going to solve your problem here.  If I make a private folder for you, can you upload the file for me to investigate?

Best Regards,

Message 8 of 22

yes I would be happy to do that, but I should mention I have shared my
files with my tutor and the worked on his 3ds max I have a feeling its
localised version of 3ds max 2015
Message 9 of 22

Hello @R.Tranter27,

I have sent an invite to your email address that will take you to a private folder.  Once I am done, I will delete the files.  Thank you very much.

Best Regards,

Message 10 of 22

Hello @R.Tranter27,

I had a chance to look through this file and I believe this issue is fixed with the service packs.  I have a link here where you can download and install them, would you please install those updates and let me know if the problem persists?  When I press the button as indicated on your screen shots, I don't get any error with those updates installed.  Thank you for doing so and please keep me posted, I'd like to solve your issue asap.

Best Regards,

Message 11 of 22

Hey I just tired installing the three service packs in the link you sent me
but I'm still receiving the same error as well as a new one now I have
attached screenshots. As I said before I've sent my tutor my files and they
work fine on his computer as well its just on my 3ds max which I've
uninstalled and reinstalled and the problem still prosiest.
Message 12 of 22

Hello @R.Tranter27,

Interesting.  I think perhaps that you forgot to attach the files, but I do have a couple questions for you, perhaps we can compare notes.  

I'm using 3ds Max 2015 SP3 here with Windows 7.   Would you please list your OS and SP version?  Do you by any chance know what your instructor's OS and SP are?  

I can't be sure from your screen shots but it looks like maybe you are on W10.  I'm starting to wonder if this is somehow related to Windows 10, since 2015 isn't officially supported on that OS.  If memory serves the State sets are .Net dependent and it's possible that the organization of .Net on W10 is causing issues.  There are still a couple things we could try, however.  

I wonder if running in compatibility mode or as admin might help you.  Would you mind trying for me, please?  

Best Regards,

Message 13 of 22

I'm using windows ten and if sp means service pack I installed all three of
them I'm very new to alot of 3ds max terms sorry so
Message 14 of 22

Hello @R.Tranter27,

No need to be sorry, I should be been more clear.  That's my bad.  SP does mean service pack, although you don't have to install all of them typically as they are cumulative in nature.  (Installing the latest one is usually enough.)

I think then what we are seeing here is an incompatibility with Windows 10.  Can you confirm the OS your instructor is on?  Any luck with compatibility mode or running as admin?

Best Regards,

Message 15 of 22

hey my instructor is using windows ten, 3dsmax 2016 SP 3, I've attached
screenshots of the service packs I installed they are circled in red I
noticed that I couldn't find a 3dsmax service pack one only 3dsmax design
service pack one and I looked it up they are slightly different version and
just wanted to see if I downloaded the wrong one. I tired running admin and
compatibility modes but got the same errors both time also see attached
screenshots. I noticed it saying "Autodesk.Max.Wrappers.dll" was damaged
due to a error or something very similar also see attached screenshots for
more details and was wondering if I should delete it. Lastly my instructor
made me run a hardware diagnostic test which showed it should complete a
video card stress test which his help team seems to think could be the
cause but I'm unsure if that's possible and wanted to know what you think
they said I can send it to them and they can downgrade my video card but
once again I don't see how my video card could possible effect 3ds max
when ive had 3ds max installed for over a year same with windows ten I
installed it the first day it came out but would really like to know if you
think that could help also ive sent my 3ds max files again though that link
you sent me this time with service packs installed.
Message 16 of 22
R.Tranter27

compatibility test screen shot 1.pngcompatibility test screen shot 2.pngcompatibility test screen shot 3.pngcompatibility test screen shot 4.pngcompatibility test screen shot 5.png

Message 17 of 22
R.Tranter27

hey I found the five service packs I just had to scroll down and change the version to 2015 and it came up with a list I was able to install the main 3 service packs including the first one that I couldn't find before (not 3ds max design version) 3ds max is still coming up with the errors thought. I couldn't install

Autodesk Revit Interoperability for 3ds Max 2015 Security Update Release (due to its up to date) and

3ds Max 2015 State Sets update for Extension 2 (I took a screenshot it said I needed another program).

error downloading state set service pack.pngerror downloading state set service pack 2.pngerror after downloading state set service pack 3.png

Message 18 of 22

Hello @R.Tranter27,

Thank you for the detailed information.  I have a few questions, I must admit I'm confused about a couple things.  Your original screenshot was for 2015, your instructor is on 2016, and you have circled the .DLL for Wrappers.dll in 2016.  It looks like you have both 2015 and 2016, is there a reason you want to use 2015 over 2016?  Thanks for that info!

State Sets have a few bugs, so you can rest assured it's probably not your graphics card, at least with this issue.  Chances are with an unsupported graphics card Max wouldn't start or you'd see missing parts of your GUI.  

I'm going to do some testing with your files.  I will get back to you as soon as I have more concrete information.  

Best Regards,

Message 19 of 22

Hey yeah I have both I'm still pretty new to 3ds max and my original instructor insisted I used 2015 but there were some issues with his teaching methods and I ended up with a new instructor doesn't mind the version I use, which is why im using  2015 I have considered just switching to 2016 but when I tried nothing was linked between mudbox and 3ds max 2016 like my diffuse and normal maps and am not sure how to add a pre made map into a mudbox scene and am scared I might lose all the maps I've made in mudbox while it's been connected to 3dsmax 3015 as I'm not that familiar with mudbox or 3dsmax 2016

Message 20 of 22

Hello @R.Tranter27,

I did some testing here this afternoon on your scene in Windows 10 with Sp1 and Sp3 and I am able to open it without any errors or anything when I click the state sets button.  For this reason I wonder if the best move here would be to uninstall 2015 and reinstall it.  If you do this, please make sure to delete or rename the ENU folder at "C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Autodesk\3dsMax\2017 - 64bit" before you reinstall.  Then, please use the Autodesk Desktop Application to install the service packs.  

Now, if Mudbox is version 2015 it will want to transfer to other 2015 installations of either Maya or 3ds Max.  There is a way however to trick it into linking/transferring to 2016 or any other version by editing a config file.  Rather than list all the steps here, this link goes to a thread that details this process for you.  I'm not suggesting that you need to do this, but since you brought it up I figured I'd help in any way I can.  

Once you've reinstalled please let me know and we'll take it from there if you still have issues.  Thank you for your communications and patience.

Best Regards,

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report