Community
3ds Max Animation and Rigging
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max animation topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving A hand on CAT Rig creates a scale key instead of a postion key

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
mike_kennedy
487 Views, 6 Replies

Moving A hand on CAT Rig creates a scale key instead of a postion key

I used to like CAT in 2011 a lot 🙂 In 2012 it's been a exercise in patience 🙂
New issue.
Moving A hand on CAT Rig creates a scale key instead of a position key.

Anyone Run into this? If I am doing some thing stupid, besides using CAT 🙂 can someone point it out 🙂
Still laughing for now 🙂
Cheers
Mike K
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
tyree_10
in reply to: mike_kennedy

your the 3rd or 4th person to point this out.
Message 3 of 7
chrostoball
Message 4 of 7
Togeux

Oh yes, sorry for that!!
I have 3dsMax 2012 64 bits.

Where is Louis Marcoux or a nice guy? 😄

Message 5 of 7
Togeux

I'll kill myself 😄 thank you Autodesk!!
I think the cause is 64 bits?! What other?
Message 6 of 7

I'm having same issues here.
I'm animating hand controller position with Auto Key, and there isn't any keys created for position.
There are keys set for scale=0 on these points though, even if i'm not changing scale.

I'm on max 2010 SP1 x64.
Any solution to this?
Message 7 of 7

so i figured something out. not sure if this relates to the original post problem.
but it explains what i've been experiencing. However i'm not sure if i understand why it's like this.

but here's what i found out:
so i have 'auto key' on, and move the hand bone or its gizmo. i see that a rotation and scale key is being created. And no key for position.
Under the motion panel--> 'PRS parameters' i see that position is still an option under 'Create key'. But pushing that only creates a position key of '0'.

So then i see that 'auto key' also creates a rotation/scale key for the lower- and upper-arm bone. So together they form the new position for the hand.

I'm animating in FK btw. switching to IK and animating the IK-target gives a position key for the target.
The exact same thing occures when animating the foot with FK.
This is very complicated to work with, so why can't it just make a position key for the hand bone? Or would that be the same as animating with IK?

Is there something i haven't understood here regarding how FK works? does it have to be like this?
I'm a bit dizzy from going through all the tracks, curves and controllers of all objects now....

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report