Community
3ds Max Animation and Rigging
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max animation topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP! 3ds max CRASHES whilst skinning to a cat rig.

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
Anonymous
1501 Views, 1 Reply

HELP! 3ds max CRASHES whilst skinning to a cat rig.

Hello All!

I'm working on a uni project, where i need a character in a game engine, of which i've chosen 'UDK'.5

I've created a Roman soldier, made up of different assets  (Armor, Legs, Body, Head, Shoulder PAds...)

I'm following this tutorial: 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yT706MRgDNg

My problem: Using a Custom Cat-Rig i've created. 3ds max keeps crashing after 2-10minutes of working, during the skinning process. Its either when i select a bone to test/move. Changing the envolope parameters or anything really, regarding the cat - rig. 

I've tried: Reinstalling autodesk, Recreated the custom Cat-rig (3times). Exporting and Importing the models in different file formats and restarted.

I beleive its either: My model - The 'Custom' side of the cat rig - Processing power? Which i have plenty of.

Any help will be great! I'm at my computer for the next 48 horus straight.

Thank you 

EDIT: Notably, I created my characters head using 'Face-Gen'. (shouldn't matter, its just a mesh now.)

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

SOLVED!!!

This problem was solved by reverting back to 3ds Max - 2012....   

Maybe this was a problem just for me, but 2014 3ds Max doesn't seem to run cat rigs to well. 

Since reverting to 2012, it's been quick easy, and no sign of a crash. 

2012 problem - The 'Weight Tool Icon' of a spanner, that menu seems to be a load of crap, when using it, it unselects the bone ur using....
so i've had to do it all manually, which is slightly longer but no problem.

P.S.   You can tell this is my first Forum post about a technical issue. 😞 
Thankyou viewers

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report