Community
3ds Max Animation and Rigging
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max animation topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Editing IK Targets created using CAT

0 REPLIES 0
Message 1 of 1
Kidd_Kosmonaut
395 Views, 0 Replies

Editing IK Targets created using CAT

I have been creating the IK setup for the arm on my CAT rig and I am a bit unhappy with the default placement of the IK Target when pressing the 'Create IKTarget' button. It places the target at the end of the wrist bone (or palm, as CAT likes to name it by default) so therefore rotations start at the end of the wrist/palm instead of at the end of the forearm bone. It seems to me that it would be prefferable to have the IK behavior terminate at the end of the forearm bone so that I could then freely rotate the wrist/palm via the bone or some additional controller. Any thought or reasons why that wouldn't be a good idea? Seems like you would get IK functionality out of the arm and then the ability to control the wrist placement in FK (i kinda thought that was how people set it up back when i was learning rigging in maya).

I have noticed that if I set the 'Num IK Bones' in the Limb Animation panel under the motion tab to 2 instead of 3 this gets me closer to what I am looking for. The hinge behavior associated with IK isn't triggered until the handle hits the end of the forearm bone in this case which is what I want but it still wants to place the target by default at the end of the palm and I get a slight rotation/movement when I drag the target from the end of the palm to the end of the forearm. I wasn't sure if I could just fix this by freezing transforms on the target at the end of the forearm (or if I can even freeze transforms on an IK target). I also want to have stretch on the limbs so I would need the target to see the end of the forearm as the end of its trajectory, not the end of the wrist/palm bone, so that as I pull beyond this point I get stretchy behavior and not the slight rotation/movement I mentioned a moment ago.

0 REPLIES 0

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report