Community
3ds Max Animation and Rigging
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max animation topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CAT rigs

132 REPLIES 132
SOLVED
Message 1 of 133
joshpurple
32461 Views, 132 Replies

CAT rigs

3ds Max CAT rigging / Video tuts 🙂
Hope these help. They are a bit older (2009 and older)

All videos are in this zip file;
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1isyHGsXBXLgKshpqAhr8m9bKFQ9m5gaq/view?usp=sharing

link for the CAT rigs;
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BfJvxiviry-WMA8CptgVKjERMqG_Z0cr/view?usp=sharing

From my Google Drive, if you hit any issues, please feel free to let me know, I'll be glad to help:

joshpurple@gmail.com

For learning CAT rigs and animation, Milos Cerny is a great resource!   Thank You Milos!
https://www.youtube.com/@MilosCernyAnimation

132 REPLIES 132
Message 61 of 133
Anonymous
in reply to: joshpurple

josh, where are you? Do not stop:)
Message 62 of 133
joshpurple

josh, where are you? Do not stop:)

:lol: Thanks Corwin! I'm working on a shark rig, I hope to post that up today. I've been playing with the new modeling tools, and working with how Max 2010 64bit works on a Mac using VMware Fusion (so I don't have to re-boot every time I want to work in Max). So far it's been working great, -the biggest difference is Fusion w/ Max = working in Open GL (If I want to work in DirectX, then I need to use Bootcamp).
Message 63 of 133
joshpurple

Shark
Zip file with rig attached.
In zip; Shark.rg3 , SharkSwim.cmp . If the Max file is needed, I'll be glad to post it up. New rig was created in Max 2010 64bit, CAT Version 3, Build Number 2009041613 .

The CATMotion preset (.cmp) did not seem to save the Tail Phase Bias (Motion panel > CATMotion Tail > Tail Phase Bias curve values).
I've attached a pic of the Shark's Tail Phase Bias settings for entering on the rig manually. Glad to help with any questions on it.

For the custom shark rig parts I used the 'Sandbar Shark' for reference from Toucan Virtual Museum's Free 3D Models; http://toucan.web.infoseek.co.jp/3DCG/3ds/FishModelsE.html .

Statement from Toucan Virtual Museum;
These items may be used on any website, including those for businesses. You may modify any of the content as you like. Selling content on the web or by other media and redistributed is prohibited.

I did not include the shark model. The Sandbar Shark model can be downloaded for free from Toucan Virtual Museum's Free 3D Models. My big Thanks to the Toucan Virtual Museum 🙂 !

(click on the attached shark gif image to preview animation)

19091_yFR3UGaabcOEiUt0Ylxf.zip

Message 64 of 133
Anonymous

Ooooo, beautiful shark.
And I will wait a time, till sp1, also till most useful plugins will release, then I will check up 2010... but I think... let's wait a few more months, MAX 2011 will be release :))
Message 65 of 133
Anonymous

Hi,
Beautiful rigs. Man there is is so much less information on the internet on CAT.. That makes you the GOD of CAT purple

Wanted your help on how I can edit/tweak these presets and is there a way i can make my own walkcycle / .cmp file?

Thanks Again
Message 66 of 133
joshpurple

Hi,
Beautiful rigs. Man there is is so much less information on the internet on CAT.. That makes you the GOD of CAT purple

Wanted your help on how I can edit/tweak these presets and is there a way i can make my own walkcycle / .cmp file?

Thanks Again

Thank you Tejus_v 🙂 , I appreciate the kind words. To keep things honest, the God of CAT is Philip Taylor, -a brilliant man & a very nice guy 🙂 ! He, along with the CAT Team (from many years back, -including the Beta Testers) created CAT. There are a lot of extremely talented Max users who know a great deal more about CAT than I ( including the current Autodesk team of developers working on CAT 🙂 ). I'm just a long time user of CAT 😄 .

Pardon if you've seen these links, but hopefully they might help;

Autodesk 3ds Max CAT: http://download.autodesk.com/esd/3dsmax/cat-help-2010/index.html
CAT How-to Movies: http://www.autodesk.com/us/3dsmax/CAT-how-to-movies/index.html
Louis Marcoux CAT Tutorials: area.autodesk.com/forum/index.php/profiles/louis_marcoux/
The online CAT wiki: http://cat.wiki.softimage.com/index.php/Main_Page (which, I think, is very similar to the first link above).
Gråck's Tutorials* and a bunch of CAT tutorial videos: http://jp.joshpurple.com/Lots_of_CAT_video_Tuts.zip
Note: You may need a video codec to see some of these, -and I can't remember which codec(s)... I hope they work for everyone.
There are a total of 22 videos in that zip file (which is pretty big in file size; 295 MB zipped . Sorry for any long download times), -including the old CATMuscle Reference Manual . 3 of the videos are just the 'Ninja Muscle' videos, -I include them to show/demo what CATMuscle can do.**

Be sure to understand that some of the info is older and out of date. It would not be a bad idea to check any of the info with what is now posted for the top link I've posted above, 'Autodesk 3ds Max CAT.' ( <-- that has some of the most updated info on CAT &#41;

Another tip, -check your rig file formats. If you see you are using a .rig file for a CAT rig, re-save it. Max should save it as a .rg3 file &#40;the .rig format is the old CAT file format &#41;.

For making your own CAT walk cycle, I would first recommend using the CATMotion dia. box, & adjusting the motion curves for the various CAT parts to create your own unique walk cycle (then save it out as a .cmp &#41;. Or you could use an Abs (Absolute) layer and create your walk cycle animation (without using the procedural CATMotion), and save it out as a CAT clip file. If you go with the Abs layer, CAT currently uses by default an HD (History Dependent) controller, -which creates some issues for creating walk cycle animations. See my thread here; area.autodesk.com/forum/Autodesk-3ds-Max/3ds-max-cat/cat-reverse-foot-rig-set-up/ "CAT Reverse Foot Rig set-up." That goes into more detail on it. I've got the CAT rig done for that thread, and I hope to post that up very soon ( just gotta' find the time 🙂 ).

*(Gråck, my sincere apologies if you do not want thess tuts posted here. If there is any issue with my posting / sharing of them, I'll take them down ASAP. I remember I mentioned it back on the old CAT forum site, -and I thought it sounded like you did not mind me sharing the CAT resources. They are some of the best CAT tutorials I've seen 🙂 . Thank you again for them! ).

**For CATMuscle be sure to check this thread here; area.autodesk.com/forum/Autodesk-3ds-Max/3ds-max-cat/mocap-catmuscle-muscle-strands-and-you/ <--there's more info and discussion on CATMuscle (hopefully some good tips on using CATMuscle).

Hope that helps 🙂 , and feel free to ask questions / send notes / messages / emails ( my email is: jpurple@comcast.net and joshpurple@gmail.com Gmail works best for emails sent outside of the United States ) / etc. , and I'll be glad to try and help.
Message 67 of 133
Anonymous

Thank you, josh, for tutorials. All this together make good basis for working with CAT. I have found a lot of answers to my questions:) If you know more tutorials or if you will find in future - put here the links, ok?:)
Message 68 of 133
Anonymous

Hey Josh,
thanks for the great rigs and all the efford to publish the stuff here on the AREA. For a newbe in CAT like me, these are a great resources for learning and understanding CAT. Please keep up posting and many thanks again. You are the ONE! :-&#41;

Greets
SpaceWarp
Message 69 of 133
Anonymous

Hello Joshpurple, Do you have a demo showing how to attach a mesh to your MaleWalk Rig...
I know you are supposed to use Skin, but the problem I am having is. Male human models all have their arms and legs fully stretched out and when ever I try to move your RIGS arms and Legs out to match up to my model, so I can apply the Skin to the Mesh, it always messes up the animation sequence. I don't know how to put the CAT bones system into Pose mode, and then back into animation mode. Can you please help.
Thanks...
Message 70 of 133
Anonymous

Hi josh,
Just want to say thanks for all your rigs, but I think your site is down.
Any news when it might be back up, trying to get the dog rig

cheers
Message 71 of 133
Anonymous

Hi josh,

cheers
Message 72 of 133
Anonymous

Hi josh,

cheers
Message 73 of 133
joshpurple

Thank You guys for the kind words, I sincerely appreciate it :&#41; !

My apologies with the links, my server died... &#40;turned it on and the power supply threw out a large blue electrical flash&#41;. I've been trying to get it fixed, -bought a new power supply, took it into 'Chip Heads' &#40;excellent computer repair guys&#41;, etc. So far as has been found out; the motherboard is dead, but the hard drives look o.k. Additional bummer, my server was 'Advanced Windows Server 2000,' -getting that back on a 'new' system to restore the server configuration &#40;from what little I know about servers & networking&#41; creates some issues. The Chip Head guys did not recommend trying to install Advanced Windows Server 2000 on a new Windows system, & they strongly advised against trying to buy/build a 7 year old Windows system &#40;re-create my old server&#41; to replace my dead one. Currently I'm trying to learn/figure-out what my best option&#40;s&#41; are for getting all of my sites and links/downloads back-up.

Last bit o' news, -I've had to start working 2 shifts unloading trucks in a warehouse &#40;first shift starts at 4:00 a.m. & I get done w/ my last shift at 6-8 p.m.&#41;. Again, my apologies, but I haven't had time to get to anything... I hope to have the links working again soon!
Message 74 of 133
Anonymous

so, your not "3d ing" currently as your day job..?

.i used to run forklifts back in 1999...was fun sometimes but happy to move onto being a computer geek..
still i'm also looking for a job currently so may have to also think about forlift driving again at some point though i'd need to renew my liecence for it...been 10 years!
Message 75 of 133
Anonymous

Thats sucks about the server, hope you get your stuff up and going again.
crazy work schedule, be sure to get some rest!
Message 76 of 133
joshpurple

Hi Steve :&#41; ,

Thanks for the question and comment.

Update: I am freelancing again with the 3D/ 3ds Max work :&#41; .
Message 77 of 133
joshpurple

Hope this works, -please feel free to let me know if you have any problems or issues, I'll be glad to try and help.

CAT rigs;

http://www.box.net/joshpurple-cat-rigs/1/32457104/336172788

This is a link to a zip folder that contains all of the rigs that I have posted-up to this thread &#40;36 rigs total, I think&#41;. I'm using Box.net &#40;created a Box.net folder : uploaded the zip file : created a link to that zip file -above link- &#41;.

Zip file size; ~ 7.1 MB &#40;AREA forum attachments have a Max Size limit of 3500 KB&#41;.
Zip file created using default Mac OS X compression &#40; Mac Main menu : File : Compress &#41;.

&#40;if this doesn't work, I'll try creating 3 smaller zip files, and adding them as attachments in 3 different posts &#40;part A, B, C, etc.&#41;.

----------------------

I was able to save all of the info from my hard drives &#40; *happy dance here* &#41;. The Chip Head guys recommended I buy a new Dell computer, 'Power Edge T105 Server,' with Windows Server 2008 pre-installed, & use that OS to post-up & recreate all of my sites/downloads, etc. &#40; http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=bqdwv1k&c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04 &#41;: &#36;1,048 US

Since I have a new Power Mac G5, I'm tempted to go with the 'Snow Leopard Server' &#40; http://www.apple.com/server/macosx/ &#41; &#36;499.00 US.

Glad to hear any thoughts/ideas/etc. on the above, -and Thank You for them :&#41; !

----------------------

I hope to keep posting-up new CAT rigs when I get the time 😄 .
Message 78 of 133
joshpurple
in reply to: Anonymous

Thank You Head Smell :&#41; ! Good luck at work!
Message 79 of 133
joshpurple
in reply to: Anonymous

Thank You SpaceWarp :&#41; ! Cool User Icon you have too. I appreciate your kind words & I hope to keep posting-up more CAT rigs soon.
Message 80 of 133
Anonymous

Freakin Sweet!
Download works fine here, Thank You!

I've had a few dells in my time and always was happy with them &#40;except phone support...&#41;Last couple of years I've been building my own computers and don't think I'll go back to a store bought one, as there to much fun to build :&#41;

Cheers

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report