Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new 2015 placement tool

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
erobinson
676 Views, 8 Replies

new 2015 placement tool

How do I add the new "select and place" tool from 2015 to my 2014 toolbar set.  When I load my 2014 toolbars it disappears and I can't seem to find it in the customize user interface.  One would think it should be called SELECT AND PLACE!!!  grrr..someone please help.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
spacefrog_
in reply to: erobinson

You should NEVER EVER load toolbars from previous Max versions..

Period.

Josef Wienerroither
Software Developer & 3d Artist Hybrid
Message 3 of 9
erobinson
in reply to: spacefrog_

Why not?  Who has time to sit and reconfigure all their tool bars every time a new max is released?  I've been using previous version tool bars since max 9

Message 4 of 9
Steve_Curley

Then you've been exceedingly lucky not to cripple Max - as others have managed to do.
Try Voting for it.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 5 of 9
erobinson
in reply to: Steve_Curley

Voted.

Message 6 of 9
erobinson

It's under "Placement" but using it doesn't give all the features found in the right click menu 😕

Message 7 of 9
spacefrog_

If you are brave and have some kind of coder mindset, you can try to edit/modify the cuix files by hand

Those are simply XML files and with some dedication you will be able to import your custom toolbars from previous Max versions by importing the relevant XML nodes into your new Max's cuix file

Of course only do that  on a copy of the cuix files, as you will fail to keep up the correct structure of the XML repeatedly

If you are not that geek minded, i would recommend building your toolbars fresh from scratch in Max'S UI config dialog...

Josef Wienerroither
Software Developer & 3d Artist Hybrid
Message 8 of 9
michaelwbell
in reply to: spacefrog_

I have tried Spacefrog's workflow and it worked very well.

I opened 2014 and saved out my setup with all the custom toolbars as a .cuix file.

I opened 2015 and saved out the default toolbars as a new .cuix file

I then just opened both .cuix files and copied over the XML code for all the custom toolbars into the 2015 .cuix file. All my buttons are only placed on new toolbars, i never modify the normal default toolbar. So in that case it was a quick 3 minute job! 

7 custom toolbars copied over.

There are now some buttons on my toolbars that are greyed out because plugins/scripts are missing. Power Preview, for example 😉

Hopefully when i install them for 2015 they will suddenly work again (hopefully)

interface.jpg

Michael Wentworth-Bell
3D Artist - Reel Pictures P/L
Melbourne Australia
My website: http://thelode.com.au
Message 9 of 9
erobinson
in reply to: michaelwbell

Yes thank you!

I tried it and worked no problem.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report