Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

max 2015 - navigating vieuwport

125 REPLIES 125
Message 1 of 126
drendir
5894 Views, 125 Replies

max 2015 - navigating vieuwport

does anyone know where to turn off the new "intuïtive" viewport navigational system in max 2015 - it's not "bad" but right now I want to return to the old behavior of the viewport. I checked the mouse and viewport options, compared to 2014, and they're all the same, yet my viewport in max 2015 is still behaving different then the 2014 one. More like "sketchup" intuïtive ...

Not a fan. Wanna switch back, if anyone finds an option, let me know 🙂

3dstudio max 2016/2017
Windows 7 & 10
125 REPLIES 125
Message 2 of 126
drendir
in reply to: drendir

am i mistaken cause it would surprise me that i'm the only one who is trying to get back to the old viewport way of navigating?

3dstudio max 2016/2017
Windows 7 & 10
Message 3 of 126
drendir

I can't believe there is no one out there with this same issue... In case it's confusing this is how the max developers describe it:

"adaptive viewport navigation for smarter zooming, panning, and orbiting"

Seriously everyone is loving this new feature and doesn't wish to be able to roll back to the max 2014 way of navigating?... If no one is able to help is one thing, but if there are other pple out there with the same problem, at least speak up.

If this thread stays unhelped I guess it can be deleted... meh.
3dstudio max 2016/2017
Windows 7 & 10
Message 4 of 126
darawork

I have noticed no change in the way I navigate viewports from 2014 to 2015.

I use 'z' to zoom extents, mouse button pan and mouse wheel zoom.

In the perspective viewport I use the walkthrough tool (Up arrow to start, then all cursor keys and mouse to look).

So forgive me if I ask the obvious; what has changed?

Darawork
AutoDesk User
Windows 10/11, 3DS Max 2022/24, Revit 2022, AutoCad 2024, Dell Precision 5810/20, ASUS DIY, nVidia Quadro P5000/RTX 5000/GTX760

Message 5 of 126
rawalanche

No solution yet... 

http://forums.cgsociety.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6

Core i7 870 @3,2Ghz
16GB RAM
GeForce GTX460
3ds Max 2012 SP2
OCZ Vertex 2 SSD
Message 6 of 126
drendir
in reply to: rawalanche

"I have noticed no change in the way I navigate viewports from 2014 to 2015"

how big are your scenes? I'm working in urban environments and this new navigation methodology is a nightmare, if there is no way to turn back to the old way atleast, it's worthless for us to invest in any future max versions and we'll be forced to stick to 2014 - this intuïtive way of navigating DOES NOT WORK WELL FOR BIG SCENES

small scene files won't feel this new way of navigating much, or even think it's better. Try doing this with a huge scene where you are dealing with distances of 1km at least.

hmpfh

3dstudio max 2016/2017
Windows 7 & 10
Message 7 of 126
darawork

Looking further into it, it appears the gripe is with the orbit tool? I don't think I have ever used it. It feels bandy and restrictive to me. The Walkthrough tool is far more intutive imo. Failing that; Middle MouseButton click and [ALT] is easier for me to use.

Regarding scene size, I work with shop interiors. The biggest scene would be a medium sized supermarket, so walkthough tool is handy.

Sorry to be of no help, I hope it gets sorted for you guys soon enough.

Darawork
AutoDesk User
Windows 10/11, 3DS Max 2022/24, Revit 2022, AutoCad 2024, Dell Precision 5810/20, ASUS DIY, nVidia Quadro P5000/RTX 5000/GTX760

Message 8 of 126
rawalanche
in reply to: darawork

It's not related to orbit tool, but general orbit operation. It affects Alt+MMB as much...

Core i7 870 @3,2Ghz
16GB RAM
GeForce GTX460
3ds Max 2012 SP2
OCZ Vertex 2 SSD
Message 9 of 126
StephenMF
in reply to: rawalanche

I have noticed this too!

Max 2014:

Pressing Z zoom extents on selected object(s) (or if no object is selected zoom extent ALL). Now the perspective view has a focus/pivot point in the center of the combined objects. If you orbit (alt + mmb), the view rotates around the object(s) you have zoom extended too. PERFECT!

Max 2015:

Pressing Z zoom extents on selected object (or if no object is selected zoom extent ALL).  But now the perspective viewport camera does not get a focus/pivot point in the center of the combined objects. But rather a significant distance behind it. If you start to orbit (alt + mmb), the view does not rotate around the object(s) you had zoom extended too. FAIL!

(btw. sometimes it works like 2014 maybe 1/10!?!?)

Looking forward to hotfix4 for a fix for this.

Stephen

Message 10 of 126
drendir
in reply to: StephenMF

they actualy open and try/work with their software before shipping it right? this is like... right in your face when u work with max 2015 for the first time

kudos for the speed improvement, not much use if you can't use the soft though 🙂

3dstudio max 2016/2017
Windows 7 & 10
Message 11 of 126
spacefrog_

Have you reported it ?

Endless complaining here in this thread will help nothing

Report it report it report it report it

Otherway there is no chance in getting it fixed...

Josef Wienerroither
Software Developer & 3d Artist Hybrid
Message 12 of 126
rawalanche
in reply to: spacefrog_

Yes, I have reported it.. and also mailed Kelly. I thought i already replied to your question on CGtalk, but my post probably got catched by the minimal post length filter 😉

Core i7 870 @3,2Ghz
16GB RAM
GeForce GTX460
3ds Max 2012 SP2
OCZ Vertex 2 SSD
Message 13 of 126
drendir

not complaining, we're reporting what exacly? That we dislike the way they configured the navigational system in the viewport? Is there a bug to report? I mean, we're frustrated, for sure, my refering to "them not trying out their software before shipping" was a remark to blundly state they didn't check out their own new tools enough on scales, as they might be playing around with teapots to much, who knows.

At this point i'm still trying to figure out if there is a way to put the navigational system back to the old way, because all they state is they made it more intuïtve, I don't know if they're actualy going to explain the way it works or if we have to figure it out for ourselves. Cause obviously it's not so self-explanatory...

If it should be reported, I will, with pleasure, but the original goal of the thread was "WHAT'S A SOLUTION?" If none presents itself, i'll report. This is only the first day pple start adding to the thread, it's been here for a week now, as you might have figured out from the first 3 posts by myself...

So now that we're all awake and checking, i'll report something tomorrow perhaps... After lunch... with a coffee... bashing my head on the monitor whilst I do it.

regards

3dstudio max 2016/2017
Windows 7 & 10
Message 14 of 126
spacefrog_

AFAIK there is no option to switch back to the original behavior:

here's another problem which is new with this new navigation

* create teapot in perspective view and zoom to selected
* DESELECT the teapot
* use any orbit mode or  Alt-MMB to orbit in the viewport, mainly do vertical up/down mouse movement during Alt-MMB
* sooner or later you will have the POV wander into the scene  ( so that the teapot lies behind the virtual camera )
  That happens especially while doing up/down movement in Alt-MMB/Orbit mode

This specific problem does’nt happen while the teapot is selected, but it does’nt happen at all in Max 2014 and earlier

Josef Wienerroither
Message 15 of 126
spacefrog_

Orthogonal views seem to work as usual ( at least regarding the problem from my previous post )

The POV does not wander during Alt-MMB

Josef Wienerroither
Message 16 of 126
aon.914858227

The most simple and obvious solution is moving back to the 2014 release until this is sorted out.

But maybe bashing your head on the keyboard can help too.

Message 17 of 126
I_Megaman_i

Ok yeah i also got really big issues with navigating in perspective view and its really driving me nuts. My right hand already hurting)))

Pan view works in 2 sensitivity modes, when mouse over a close object and over a distant one. For example when you work with sub objects and usually you zoom pretty close to the model, the thing is, when i pan with my mouse still on the model it works ok, but when you drag your mouse out of the model silhuoette, pan view sensitivity gets sky high and pans away so far, so you have to zoom in to your sub object level selection again and zoom out a bit to see what youre working on. and also ive noticed pan view doesn work with wireframe mode, you turn on wireframe view and try to move you get crazy sensitivity again.

Also, there no f**** way to assign 2d pan zoom mode on middle mouse button, which i think was in previous versions.

Anyone got any ideas?

Message 18 of 126
drendir
in reply to: I_Megaman_i

ideas as to what... there something sniffy about the thing, so report a smelly, cheese navigational system and see what happens...

LINK

I couldn't post anything in the "report a bug" zone, page doesn't give me any options to chose? Is there a problem with the report a bug section atm?

http://download.autodesk.com/us/support/report_a_bug.html?SelProduct=Mudbox

3dstudio max 2016/2017
Windows 7 & 10
Message 19 of 126
Steve_Curley

Apart from you trying to report a Mudbox error? Replace "Mudbox" at the end of your link with "3dsMax".
That aside, the page is working fine here, though if your browser is blocking certain Javascript from running you'll get the header text then nothing underneath. You'll have to allow that script to run.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 20 of 126
drendir
in reply to: Steve_Curley

woops, thanks

3dstudio max 2016/2017
Windows 7 & 10

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report