Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

exporting to .iges file retruns a strange extension

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
ganderson
985 Views, 4 Replies

exporting to .iges file retruns a strange extension

Hi I'm trying to export a .max file to a .iges file. When I do the conversion, the file has an extension of .xlo. What is that and how do I get it to be a .iges file? Also the file that is made is empty. what gives?

Thanks,

~Vonnie

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
sinus19
in reply to: ganderson

EXACTLY! i'm in the same boat as you.

Message 3 of 5
PROH

Hi. The .xlo file is a log file, that describes what and how things are exported, and what's not exported. You can read about IGES export in the Max help file: http://docs.autodesk.com/3DSMAX/16/ENU/3ds-Max-Help/index.html?url=files/GUID-8DEE14E3-1F49-4072-AA0...

If you want more help, then you might give some more informations about your program version and which items you try to export.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
3dsMax 4.2 to 2018
AutoCAD 2000 to 2018
Infrastructure Design Suite Premium 2012 to 2018

Message 4 of 5
ganderson
in reply to: PROH

I am using the 2013, 64bit version of 3d Max. Thanks for the tip on the .xlo file. When I read it, it said:

Title: IGES Export Journal (built for Autodesk 3ds Max)
==============================================================================
File: Y:\Vonnie\Body Scanning\TC2 Data\New Obj\complete torso.xlo
Date: Mon, Feb 24, 2014
Time: 15:31:34

Translating IGES file:        Y:\Vonnie\Body Scanning\TC2 Data\New Obj\complete
torso.IGS

Error Summary:

The following message was issued 1 time(s)
Model specified to be formatted does not contain any entities.

Information: 0
Warning:     0
Error:       1
Fatal:       0

Elapsed Time:

Processor: 00:00:00
Clock:     00:00:01

So I'm attaching my .max file and maybe you can help me.

Thanks,

~Vonnie

Message 5 of 5
PROH

Hi. Had a look at your file. Two things:

1) Your mesh has 6 doublefaces. This will most likely give you some problems no matter what you try to do, so better fix it. One fast way to fix it: Put a STL Check modefier on top of it, set it to check everything and set "Selections" to "faces", put an "Edit Mesh" modifier on top of the STL and activate "Faces" (sub-object level), the selection of the 6 doublefaces should be passed on so just press delete. Then collapse the stack.

2) I'm no IGES expert, actually I don't use it (exept importing IGES files once in a while), but AFAIK IGES is a "NURBS format", and you can only export NURBS objects to it. Tried mesh, gPoly, Patch, Body and NURBS, and the only thing exporting was NURBS. Tried to convert your model to NURBS, but after 20 minuttes vaiting for Max to react, I gave up.

I'll suggest you use another file format. Find a format that can export mesh and that's shared between the 2 programs.

Hope it helps

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
3dsMax 4.2 to 2018
AutoCAD 2000 to 2018
Infrastructure Design Suite Premium 2012 to 2018

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report