Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which is more helpful, new RAM or a new processor?

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
gecko723
229 Views, 16 Replies

Which is more helpful, new RAM or a new processor?

I have a Compaq presario CQ62 with 2GB or ram and an intel celron 900 proc at 2.2 ghz. which you be more useful to upgrade for 3ds max? it's been oddly fast so far for such low specks. I can have 3ds max, the Unit 3d game engine, and several tabs open in fire fox and it won't break a sweat. but as my project gets bigger, it's showed signs of slowing down. I already have a dual channel 4 GB of Corsair RAM (2X2Gb modules) on my bday list, so should i go for more ram, or a better proc? I'm not sure if I can even put a new proc in the pga478 socket. thanks!
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
Pyro777
in reply to: gecko723

are you running 32 or 64 bit windows?
Max 2019
Win 10 64-bit; Dual Xeon E5-2699 v4 @ 2.20 GHz; 64 GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080
V-Ray 4.02.05.00001
Message 3 of 17
gecko723

I'm using 64 bit. I think I'm using 32 bit 3ds max though, how do I check?
Message 4 of 17
Steve_Curley

It tells you in the Title Bar at the top of the Max window. If it says "x64" then it's 64bit, if it doesn't then it's 32bit.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 5 of 17
gecko723
in reply to: Steve_Curley

it doesn't say anything, just the title of the the project and 3ds max - student version. but can't you open the 64 bit version without installing it separately?
Message 6 of 17
Steve_Curley

If it doesn't explicitly say x64 then it isn't. No, you have to install it - I don't know if the student version comes with both, it may not.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Message 7 of 17
gecko723

Well under the autodesk folder in the start menu I have a 32 and 64 bit version folder, and there are also folders for 3ds max in the program files and program files (x86) folders. or is that normal? better question, would 64 bit 3ds max be faster the 32 bit on 4gb of RAM?
Message 8 of 17
Anonymous

I would invest in RAM. From experience in my office THe more RAM the better, ESPECIALLY dealing with max. If you are using a 32 bit version I would go with a new processor. 64 bit, definitely go with more RAM.
Message 9 of 17
Steve_Curley

That would suggest that both are installed - you should have separate desktop/start menu entries for the 2 executables.

Will 64bit be faster? Good question, but not an easy one to answer. Actual processing is likely to be slower (fractionally), but because it can access more RAM than the 32bit, some operations may be faster. What it will do is allow you work on larger scenes. For many small jobs you may never notice a difference, but everyone's experience will be different as there are so many variables involved.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Message 10 of 17
Anonymous

If you will be working on scenes over 100 000 polygons, 64 bit is the way to go and can access more RAM. Steve is right, so many variables, so it really depends on the type of work you are doing.
Message 11 of 17
gecko723

ok thanks. but can 32 bit access 4gb of RAM? also, would a new processor help more than RAM? if so I really need to do some searching because replacing procs in laptops is not easy. thanks!

EDIT: It turns out I do have 32 and 64 bit max installed. not sure why. I hope it doesn't take up too much HDD space...
Message 12 of 17
samab

but can 32 bit access 4gb of RAM? also

A 32 bit app can only use 2GB usually, but using the 3BG switch it can use 3GB.
Having 4GB is optimal for a 32 bit system because if Max is using up to 3GB you still have 1 in reserve for the OS and anything else. Any more won't be recognised.
On a 64 bit system applications can use much more RAM, if you have it that is.
More RAM doesn't make things a lot faster, but not having enough can make things slower, if that makes any sense, or more RAM will use the page file less. More RAM will make you more stable too and lessen the likleyhood of crashes.
A new processor will probably help more with performance especially for rendering.
Ideally you want both, but to choose between the two I would probably go for the RAM. It should be cheaper and I just dont think that 2GB is enough for Max, especialy if running on a 64 bit OS. Bear in mind Max does not have exclusive access to all 2GB, is has so share that with Windows and any other running processes, so you don't even have access to 2GB in reality.
Message 13 of 17
gecko723
in reply to: samab

Thanks, that really helps! and yes, it makes sense to me. I'll defiantly be getting that RAM kit now. And I agree, 2 gb for a 64 bit OS is dumb, seeing as there is then little point in having a 64 bit OS, but that's HP-Compaq's fault. Thanks everyone for the help!
Message 14 of 17
Doughboy12
in reply to: samab

Um, how is it their fault?
3ds Max 2012 Certified Professional
Windows 7 Enterprise 64Bit
Intel Xeon X5650 @ 2.67 x2 36GB
3ds Max 9 - 2013

bad config. why put in a 64 bit OS and only have 2 GB of RAM?
Message 16 of 17
blakestone

More RAM is great for muli-tasking as applications generally reserve a section of the RAM to store and process data while running, some programs use their own Page File so more RAM may not benefit these applcations. A faster CPU will speed up the process of reading/writing to the RAM so regardless how much RAM you have you will notice an overall performance boost.

Personally I would go CPU or both if you can affort it, RAM is pretty cheap these days 😛
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Technical 3D Graphic Artist
Autodesk 3dsMax 2015 - Service Pack 4
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 17 of 17
gecko723

Thanks for helping me everyone! I got the dual channel 4 GB RAM kit for my birthday. It's installed and I'll be running 3ds max all day, so I'll let you know how it goes.

EDIT: It's really helped. I can run 3ds max, Unity, windows media player, and FF with several tabs open all at once, and I've still got over a GB left to spare. I can switch between them without lag, and they all seem to work at maybe 9/10 speed. I might try and push it later by adding Photoshop in there, which actually seems to take up as much or more memory as 3ds max. still haven't maxed out the full 4 GB yet though.

EDIT2: Never got bad lag for the whole day. Unity slowed down when importing and moving models, but that's because the proc maxed out.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report