Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vray distributed rendering problem

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
cheesir
22913 Views, 9 Replies

Vray distributed rendering problem

hello folks:
I have 2 computers, one is ASUS CM1525 series, it’s amd cpu--phenom II 820 x 4 cores, bought about a year ago, another one is assembled by myself , it’s intel cpu core i7-2600, bought about a week ago.
since I have 2 computers now, so I connected them become a home network, share some files and printer etc, of course , I want to try VRAY distributed rendering function(who doesn’t??), following is my situtation:
I installed VRAY 2.0 on both computers, launched V-Ray DR spawner both of them as administrator, by the way, i am using max 2010 and backbuner 2008.1(installed on 2 computers), and I start max on intel computer with my max file(the file placed in the net neighborhood, a shared file folder, include map and texture files ),set distributed rendering items in the VRAY setting tab, it can detect amd computer IP , shown as render server , but after start to render , the VRAY log shown connected amd computer, I checked render frame ,only intel computer bracket shown up , it means only one computer doing the job.
I also browsing some articles over internet, and disabled firewall and PC-cillin, adjasted UAC to lowest level, launched backburner (following max help to set up)and tried again , same sitution, only one computer do the job.
I hardcopy my screen , you guys can watch it, according to VRAY log , 2 hosts connected, but only 1 server start to render, anyone can help?? thanks in advence.
ps:
1.EddiEva-PC is amd computer, DIY-PC is intel computer , assembled by me.
2.I tried to use amd computer as master, intel computer as server, same sitution.
3.English is not my first language, so please forgive my poor grammar.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Hi cheejowdee

U have some mistakes. Let`s go!

1°. U don`t need start V-Ray DR spawner in both machine, only the machine is a slave. If your principal machine is diy-pc u start spawner in EddiEva-PC.

2°. And in the Distributed rendering settings u need only the slave too. In this case EddiEva-PC.

3°. For u don`t have more problems u cam setup V-Ray DR spawner start like a windows service. Go to Start -> ChaosGroup -> V-Ray -> Distributed rendering -> Administration and click on Register V-Ray spawner service. And them click with the second button on My Computer icon and choice Manage. In the Computer Management choice Service and Aplications -> Services. In the services list find V-Ray DR Spawner service and click again with the second button and choice Properties go to Log On tab and activate This account, click on the browser button and put your login name and click Chack Names, click OK to close those window, put your password and click Apply. Go back to General tab and restart the service. Now this service go start when u start window, and u don`t need logon in window.

4°.To use a Distributed V-Ray render u don`t need start backburnner.

I hope help u
d(-_-)b WHY BE NORMAL ? WHEN YOU CAN BE YOURSELF !!!! =^.^=

Daniel Drummond

drummond.daniel@gmail.com
daniel@difusa.com.br
www.difusa.com.br

3D Artist

Promote Your Page Too
Message 3 of 10
Steve_Curley
in reply to: cheesir

Multiple threads on the same topic are not permitted here, as per the forum rules. As a consequence your identical post (in the Rendering forum) has been removed.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous

Maybe I'm wrong, but I remember something about having at least one backburner job succesfully rendered on the slave before the VR spawner can understand the command. Check the Vray documentation about distributed bucket rendering.

To know that the slave is running ok, you should see a Max open and minimized, with a scene named "vraydummyxxxx.max" where xxxx is the version of 3ds max. If you don't see that, is because the server is not ready to receive the job.

cheers

M

edit: yes, you need to render one backburner job with the servers (just once) before the DBR can work, check this link

when the vray spawner gets a request, the minimized max will chango to "vray_server_scene.max"

All your bitmaps and resources must be accesible by every computer participating in the render.
Message 5 of 10
cheesir

1.Sorry, Steve.
2.Thanks, Daniel but still not working.
3.Thanks, ML2010, I haven't try any backburner render since I connected 2 computers, maybe that's why cause VRay DBR not working.
4.I follow max help to set up backburner settings, but max pop up this message "error retrieving configration file" , so I looked up some treads and articles, then according to their experiences ,set UAC to lowest level , disable firewall and PC-cillin 2011 , put the max and maps files in the shared folders , and set output files in a sequence still images (not avi nor mov )still useless.
5.I check monitor , it shows 2 computers idle.
6.Can someone help me to trobleshoot??please and thanks.

Message 6 of 10
cheesir

both my computers show idle.

Message 7 of 10
cheesir

Hi again
After several searching, I found this link (http://docs.autodesk.com/3DSMAX/13/ENU/Autodesk%203ds%20Max%202011%20Help/index.html?url=./files/WSf... got troublshooting for my situation, the solution as following:

"Error Retrieving Configuration File"

This error usually is the result of a corrupt installation of the Backburner applications which caused an errant registry setting.

SUGGESTION

Try reinstalling the Backburner components of 3ds Max or manually edit the system registry.

Editing the registry:

1.Choose Start Run.
2.Enter RegEdit and click OK
3.Browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE SOFTWARE Autodesk Backburner 2008.1
4.Check the CfgPath entry. Make sure the value is set to c:\Program Files\Autodesk\Backburner\Network\nrapi.conf.
5.Close the Registry Editor.

when I saw above them , I am really happy , but I check my computers HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE SOFTWARE Autodesk , there is no backburner item, so I reinstalled backburner from max 2010, and check again , still not there , but I still can run backburner function , like manager, server , monitor etc. it's really strange.

Can someone help?? thanks.

Message 8 of 10
cheesir

hello again
I try to use another computer (amd cpu) to set net render , it works , just amazing me , but still don't know why can't start net render on intel computer, I am start thinking to remove max entirely.
Message 9 of 10
cheesir

Hi all
I finally solved "Error Retrieving Configuration File" issue , it's really a long time test and stormbraining, got to have some sleep now.
Thanks all, folks.

Message 10 of 10
Streetwise

Hello, How did you solve this? I'm having the same exact issue. My Client machine is not doing any of the shared rendering, but my server is (V-Ray of course).

I did a backburner render with both client and server to confirm. I then switched to V-Ray, started the spawner on the server, but no luck. The job get's dumped over to the server, but my 6- core client just sits. sigh...

Thanks

Dave

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report