Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Uninstalling and re-installing 3ds Max 2013 problems

19 REPLIES 19
Message 1 of 20
Anonymous
1054 Views, 19 Replies

Uninstalling and re-installing 3ds Max 2013 problems

I had a functioning 2013 3ds Max installation until I tried to install the extension for the program. After working for several hours I could not get the program to install, so I decided that I would uninstall everything Autodesk and begin anew. I spent a huge amount of time trying to remove everything and still I couldn’t remove the main program. I have a “search everywhere” program that helped me locate some files that did not get removed using Windows Control Panel Programs/Features. I removed these files, as well as anything “Autodesk” in the registry. I also removed anything in the AppData in several places and in the temp file in Windows. As you can imagine, by this point I have spent several days and many hours getting more frustrated by the hour. I would re-boot the computer and try to re-install the 2013 version, but to no avail. The only things that installed were: BackBurner, Direct Connect, Inventor Server Engine for 3ds Max, Revit Interoperability, and the essential Movies For 3ds Max. I tried the Setup in the expanded downloaded Autodesk_3ds_Max_2013_EFGKJS_Win_64bit file and the window that opened indicated that the program was installed. However, it is nowhere to be found. During all of this, I have re-downloaded the files several times just in case there was an issue with the downloads.
I even tried to revert to the 2012 version to see if it would install successfully, but again no luck! How could I have had a working program and now can even get the program to install in either version? I have searched in the forums and Autodesk help and found nothing that addresses my problem. Maybe someone “out there” has had some similar experience and can offer some help to this very tired and really frustrated human being.

I thank anyone in advance for trying to provide help,

Tom
19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
dongray
in reply to: Anonymous

Wow, way too much work!
I would have uninstalled the program and run a reliable registry fixer to clean up afterward.
However, I cannot tell now what the problem is.
Sounds like you have a license, but if you didn't I would say maybe the trial time has run out.
Wish I could be of more help.
Maybe there's still something (in the registry?) telling the installer that Max is already installed.
Message 3 of 20
Brock_Lafond

I had a similar issue with 2011.

I was able to finally instal it by locating the individual installer on the disc, completely bypassing setup.exe that would automatically run.

When running the installer I did get a message about Max already being installed and had the option to repair it; repairing it worked fine for me.
Alias/Wavefront Maya 3 -> Discreet 3DS Max 4 -> ...
Win7 Pro 64
EVGA Classified Super Record 2
Dual Xeon Hexa-Core, 48GB RAM
GTX 780 x 2
Corona Renderer, mental Ray
Message 4 of 20
Anonymous

Thanks for your replies and I have taken the advice of both of you and purchased a registry cleaner and also found the installer inside the "main" part of the program parts. When I tried this approach to installing 3ds Max 2010 from the DVDs, it was successful! At this point that was a pleasant happening. I played around with the program a little to see if it was truly functional and it was. I then got brave and decided to try to install the 2013 update. Unfortunately, I could not find an installer inside other parts of the program like I had done in the 2010 version. I tried all that I could find and none of them worked. It still says that 2013 is already installed. Boy, was that not what I had hoped for! I don't know what to do next since there is something very hidden in the "bowels of the computer" interferring with the installation process. I am open to any and all suggestions except the thought of reformatting and beginning from scratch. There are too many other programs that are complicated and difficult to configure properly for me to even think of reformatting the hard drive. One thing that I did think of was trying to install everything for the 2013 version on another hard drive other than "C". I don't know if this would work since the "C" drive is indicated as the default location for the program.

Any help is still very much appreciated,

Tom
Message 5 of 20
Steve_Curley

Try here instead.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 6 of 20
dongray

Is Max 2013 showing up in the Add/Remove Programs list now?
If so, try uninstalling, restarting, running the registry cleaner and reinstalling.
My advice, otherwise see if you can find something at the link Steve posted below.
Message 7 of 20
Anonymous

When I tried this approach to installing 3ds Max 2010 from the DVDs, it was successful! At this point that was a pleasant happening...
...I then got brave and decided to try to install the 2013 update.
Tom

You can't "update" to 2013...you have to install 2013 and then install the update to it.
Message 8 of 20
stephengabriel

Open Regedit and try and locate the uninstaller in:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>Software>Microsoft>Windows>Current Version>Uninstall

I don't know which version you are using so you will have to click through each of the entries to find the Max uninstaller. Mine was under {0F30B978-3536-0409-BC9C-0A2FB4C35EFC}, this is called a GUID, but that may not match yours as mine is for 3ds Max Entertainment Creation Suite Premium 2013. If you can find this, Windows will consider your software still installed and will not let you install again. Inside that folder, you will find an UninstallString entry. Copy the contents of the field and then paste it into the Run field for Windows, an active Windows Command window or create a script and execute this. This will run the uninstaller and should remove the software. If you've already removed all physical copies, this registry entry exists but nothing else exists, then go to the GUID level, the number I show above in brackets, and delete the entire folder for this product. BE VERY CAREFUL to select just the GUID like I've shown above or you will cause all sorts of havoc.

Please post any results from this so we can all learn from your experience.
Message 9 of 20
Anonymous
in reply to: stephengabriel

Sgabriel,

Thanks for your reply. I have navigated to "uninstall" as you describe above; however, the only thing there is for Composite 2013. There is nothing for 3ds Max itself. I also tried to copy the info in the "Data" column for Composite 2013 and it is not copyable. I did not remove anything since I am very unsure of doing it correctly and I didn't even know if I needed to remove the Composite 2013 files. Should I remove it?

Thanks,

Tom
Message 10 of 20
stephengabriel

You cannot copy directly from the Data field. Select the UninstallString in the Name column then right click and select Modify. That will open an edit window from which you can copy the string. Try running that and see if that helps.
Message 11 of 20
Anonymous

Here I am again because I am determined to get this to work. I repeated many of the things already mentioned to try to get to a "clean" machine as far as Autodesk is concerned. I once again tried to install 3ds Max 2013 from the fresh download. It began as I mentioned in my reply to Steve above, instead this time I sat at the computer and watched everything that was happening. Installation appeared to progress normally including the following: DirectX Runtime, Autodesk Material Library 2013, Autodesk Material Library Base Images, Autodesk Material Library Medium, then Autodest 3ds Max 2013. Only this time, after starting the installation of the 3ds Max program, it quickly backed up through the programs listed above and ended with the DirectX Runtime and that was the end of it! The installation window then indicated that none of the programs had installed. What in the world is going on here? Help!

Tom
Message 12 of 20
stephengabriel

A few particulars might help:
1) What OS are you running? Also include 32 bit or 64 bit.
2) How much free space do you have on your hard disk?
3) Do you have administrator rights to your computer?

Sorry for all these simple questions, but it helps us frame the problem up. This one does sound familiar and I'll do some looking around as free time pops up this afternoon and post what I find.
Message 13 of 20
Anonymous

Sgabriel,

The answers are:

1. Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
2. 141 GB
3. Yes, I have administrator rights
Message 14 of 20
Anonymous

I also happened to think that maybe the installation log would be helpful, so I saved it. However, I cannot find any place where I can attach it to a post. Is it possible to do attachments?

Tom
Message 15 of 20

Yes, but only on a Reply, not a Comment. If you still have problems attaching, see this post.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 16 of 20
Anonymous

Here is the installation log file.

Tom

3ds_max_2013_setup_log.txt

Message 17 of 20
stephengabriel

Error 1603 is a generic MSI error indicating that the Microsoft Installer found something it didn't like and aborted. Typically, this can be traced to user rights (not your problem in this case), insufficient disk space (also not your problem), or problems with installed components such as Visual C++ and .Net framework. While I don't like posting links for resolutions, I will in this case as there is little need for me to repost all of the possible solutions. Most of these links don't pertain directly to Max but pretty much all Autodesk software installs in a similar pattern and the problems are common to all types. I'm posting them in order of precedence and please follow the links in the threads for additional information. Lastly, please do post what did work so that we can all share in the knowledge.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=6549582&linkID=9242018

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=10310469&linkID=9240617
Message 18 of 20
Anonymous

Sgabriel,

Again, thanks for further information. I have visited both of these sites and tried anything that was mentioned. I again went into the Registry and found in the Uninstall folder "stuff" for Composite. I deleted all of this, ran my registry cleaner which found a lot of errors and then repaired them. I re-booted and double checked for any Autodesk stuff lingering in all of the places that have been mentioned by anyone and then tried to install 3ds Max. The exact same thing happened as many times before: it progressed up to 3ds Max and after about 5-6 seconds began the process of rolling back the things that had been installed. Final results was that nothing was installed. I checked the installation log and the information is the same as all other attempts.

What options are left to explore? As I have said previously, reformatting and re-installing Windows is just not an option because of the many other programs on this drive.

Thanks,

Tom

p.s. Just after making my post, I decided to check the Registry again and this time I also looked at HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT. There I found the following:
1. AutoCad.AcadLayerStateManager.18
2. " " " " .19
3. AutoCad.AcCmColor.18
4. " " " .19
5. AutoCad.AxMPolygonObj.18
6. " " " .19
7. AutoCad.SecurityParams.18
8. " " " .19
9. Autodesk.DirectConnect.Workflow
10. Autodesk.IPTex
11. Autodesk.IPTex1

Do any of these have any connection to my problem. I don't know where they came from.

Tom
Message 19 of 20
Anonymous

I'm having a similar but equally aggravating problem. Here goes...

I was attempting to use 3ds Max for Microsoft Flight Simulator X scenery design—after attempting to link 3ds 9-based plugins to my installation, the stupid program ended up bricked. Not exactly knowing how to fix my 3ds system directories (or loading the program without plugins), I decided to reinstall the application.

When selecting the setup program in the Program Files folder, I get a complaint saying "LiteHtml.dll" could not be located on my system, and that I should try reinstalling the product to fix it. (WHAT DOES IT THINK I'M TRYING TO DO?!?!?!?!?!) So I'm about to try a complete file/registry delete. Any guidance?

Thanks.
Message 20 of 20
stephengabriel

Definitely do a clean uninstall/re-install of the software then apply service packs to bring it up to date. Make sure you delete any remnants of files and registry entries and you may also want to dump your Windows Temp file and restart the machine to make sure nothing is lurking in memory. I'd also suggest you install Open Flight before applying the service packs.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report