Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UVW Layouts went missing (Beginner)

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
Anonymous
1372 Views, 1 Reply

UVW Layouts went missing (Beginner)

I currently have the latest version of 3ds Max 2014 with a free student license.

I'm a bit more than halfway through the VTMs for the 3ds Max Fundamental's Project 2: When F14s Attack, specifically I am on the Finalizing Material IDs VTM. Before adding the Unwrap UVW modifier I had a multi/sub object material with 16 sub materials to help with polygon selection IDs for laying out the UVWs. Now that they're laid out the goal here is to create a new multi/sub object material with just 2 sub materials for the main body of the F14 and a new one for the canopy and stabilizers for the final UVW layout before Photoshop.

I've already finished laying out my UVWs, and am at the point in the video where we drop back down into the Editable Poly modifier from the Unwrap UVW modifier, which is higher in the stack (I selected Hold/Yes when prompted) in order to create a new Material to organize the final textures. I've found that when I create a new material and apply it to the object that my UVW layouts are missing from the UVW Editor. I've tried saving them beforehand and loading them to no avail. Basically everything looks to be reset.

Note: I can successfully create and apply a new material while I'm still in the Unwrap UVW modifier, but if I jump down to Editable Poly and back to the Unwrap UVW modifier the UVW Layouts are gone. The same thing happens if I try to edit the original material and edit the selection ID for the polygons from 16 down to 2.

Note 2: The 3dBuzz VTMs use a much older version of Max, but so far I've had no issues.

Thanks in advance!

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Sovled:

To quote WingnutWilson from the 3dbuzz forum:

Edit: Yes I am nearly certain your issue is not correctly going up and down the hierarchy, if you don't go to the parent level first, it wipes the UVs. 

Testing with a simple sphere you need from "Unwrap UVW > Face" mode to "Unwrap UVW" level, then to the "Edit Poly" level, (Hold/Yes) and finally to the "Edit Poly > Polygon" level. And to go back up you need to go to through the parent again ("Edit Poly" directly to "Unwrap UVW").

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report