Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

'Select and Move Tool' is too easy to accidentally move your object

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
valenRedBull
3310 Views, 4 Replies

'Select and Move Tool' is too easy to accidentally move your object

I am aware of the 'Select' tool, however I don't like to check and see what tool is active when I'm doing general modeling tasks. Any of the "select and..." tools will work fine.  The problem is that the tools are too touchy and its very easy to accidentally transform your object when all you really wanted to do is select it.

Especially in my case - I am using a Wacom tablet which is almost impossible to select an object without dragging it slightly.

After all these years, I still don't see a way to change this.  Do you know of any way to set up 3ds Max so that the "Select and..." tools will require a second click-drag to actually start the transform?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
samab
in reply to: valenRedBull

I agree this can be a problem. I also use a Wacom. It's much easier to keep a mouse still while clicking, but with the Wacom pen you must tap the pen tip to make a click, so avoiding any movement is hard.

I often find myself dragging a window over things to select them, but it's not always possible if other objects are around. Or sometimes switching to Select.

Message 3 of 5
valenRedBull
in reply to: samab

I think this is larger than an annoyance.  I think it qualifies as an actual "accessibility" problem and inhibits those who must use a tablet instead of a mouse.  For medical reasons, I am using a tablet.  I hope Autodesk will address this.  One of the few things about Maya that I like more than 3ds Max is that I can disable this feature.

I actually got an email notification from Autodesk Support saying that a support request was generated and someone there is looking into the problem.  I've posted on this site many times, and I've never seen actual Autodesk Support request get generated on my behalf.  Hopefully that is good news for this.  Or perhaps that is just a new thing that happens with all new requests on The Area since they updated everything...?

Message 4 of 5
samab
in reply to: valenRedBull

You could also post it in the Max Feedback General Feature Request.

Message 5 of 5
jibijib
in reply to: samab

I always assign the space bar to 'select'. It's not assigned to anything important, and I found I always have to disable 'move' because of the problem you mentioned. I've assigned 'move' to the 'm' key as well.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report