Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reference materials?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
599 Views, 6 Replies

Reference materials?

Hi,

Just like for reference objects, is it possible to have reference materials that would have a parent material and then child materials that would be changed when the parent is changed, but could have their unique settings also?

For example, in UDK this is possible, if I remember correctly.

Thanks in advance,

MP

Tags (2)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

You can have instanced maps common to different materials.

You could have a parent material, then through Material to Shader plug it into any number of mental ray materials that could have different properties.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous

.. and to add to that, make sure you are using the Slate material editor, as it makes the relationships between materials much easier to visualise.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous

Thank you both. I will try the solution suggested.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous

No, actually I think that would not work.

What I am after is:

I have objects A and B. Both share material M. However, for A, diffuse map is D1 and for B diffuse map is D2 in the material M, which otherwise has all the same properties and settings for A and B.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous

In thast case you should have a single material, map the diffuse with a Multi/Sub Map. Then you have up to 20 sub maps applied to the one material. The maps can be assigned by Object ID, Material ID, Smoothing Group or Random.

multisub.jpg

Message 7 of 7
Anonymous

Nice. This is what I was looking for, thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report