Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Q:- Rotate around mouse cursor?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
3054 Views, 3 Replies

Q:- Rotate around mouse cursor?

Hi there....

I was wondering if there is a way to rotate a face / edge / group of vertexes in polly edit mode using the mouse pointer as the pivot point of the rotation?

Same thing for scale / squash would be very cool as well..

Is there a way to do this in max?
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Steve_Curley
in reply to: Anonymous

Sort of.

Select the sub-objects you want to rotate and Lock the selection (spacebar).
Select Rotate, View, Use Selection Centre or Use Transform Coordinate Centre (but NOT Use Pivot Point Centre).
Select the type of sub-object you want to use as the centre for the rotation on the Snaps dialog - it helps to have the Snaps toolbar visible for this.
Select the axis you want to rotate around (on the gizmo or the Axis Constraints Toolbar).
Turn snaps on, when the cursor snaps to the appropriate sub-object you want to rotate around, click and drag on that sub-object.

You can't actually use any arbitrary point (AFAIK) but the above is the next best thing.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous

OMG.... thank you... that works perfectly.. you are a total legend!!!!

Would you happen to know a way to maxscript this in some way to avoid all those steps?

Videos of it in action!!
HiRez Video Download (XviD)- Download
Streamed Version - Video Stream
Message 4 of 4
Steve_Curley

It may seem like a lot of steps, but if you look closely at them, most would be required even for rotating whole objects. Setting the Coordinate system and the Pivot Point for example. You have to do that anyway. The only oddball one is locking the selection - it's not strictly necessary, but you try the above without it and you'll see why I included it 😉
Once you incorporate it into your workflow it's not really that different to many other things in Max where you have to "set it up" before you "do it". It just seems like it having them listed one by one.

There may be a way through Maxscript, but I'm still quite new to MXS myself, so I'm not the best person to answer that. Maybe post over in the MaxScript forum - some real helpful folks hang out in there.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report