Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Procedural Noise map - size clarification?

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
darawork
1492 Views, 3 Replies

Procedural Noise map - size clarification?

Hi, forgive me if I'm being unnecessarily pedantic.

It states in the manual that: "Size: Sets the scale of the noise function, in 3ds Max units. Default=25.0"

If my system units are milimeters, what does '25' equate to in real life?

I've never really understood the relationship of units to real life in several spinner locations in Max.

Sometimes I feel like they are just plucked from thin air, you either know what to set it or don't, there is no logical rule involved.

Thanks 🙂

Darawork
AutoDesk User
Windows 10/11, 3DS Max 2022/24, Revit 2022, AutoCad 2024, Dell Precision 5810/20, ASUS DIY, nVidia Quadro P5000/RTX 5000/GTX760

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
soulburn
in reply to: darawork

Sounds like this is less a noise question and more a units question. If Units are in cm, and you have 25 units, then that means 25 cm. if you set a unit to be millimeters, that means 25 units means 25 millimeters. Since there is no procedural noise in real life, the size of the noise indeed is an arbitrary decision. So best to just twiddle the value until you see the results you're after.

- Neil

Message 3 of 4
darawork
in reply to: soulburn

Thanks for the reply, yeah I just spun the spinner until it looked right. I was just trying to add bump noise to a counter top material. The bumps are about 1mm in real life so 1unit looked fine. Was kinda obvious in the end.

Darawork
AutoDesk User
Windows 10/11, 3DS Max 2022/24, Revit 2022, AutoCad 2024, Dell Precision 5810/20, ASUS DIY, nVidia Quadro P5000/RTX 5000/GTX760

Message 4 of 4
nuno_moser
in reply to: soulburn

This is something that I was wondering for a long time. The relation of the noise units with the system units.
The only thing I hate about the noise map is that what you see on the material editor is usually not the size you will see on the render therefore difficult to get to the result I'm afer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report