Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem in geometry - don't understand anything.

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Gnur
749 Views, 6 Replies

Problem in geometry - don't understand anything.

Hi.

I've encountered an issue in a model I'm working on, and I've tried to fix it for a very long time. I lack the expertise to figure out what's really going on here. It has to do with a mysterious inverted edge on the model's mouth that I can't make any sense of. I've thus come to the point that I must ask someone else if they can figure this out. It would be of great great value to me if someone here could open the file I attach, and see if you can see what is wrong - and then tell me what's going on, and how to fix it.

To find the polygon which is causing me the trouble, select the model, go in polygon mode, and under "Polygon: Material IDs" type in 20 and Select ID.

It would be so greatly appreciated 🙂

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Brock_Lafond
in reply to: Gnur

The first thing I noticed is that the polygon in question is 5 sided, and some verts weren't welded.

When I have more time I'll dissect further.

Alias/Wavefront Maya 3 -> Discreet 3DS Max 4 -> ...
Win7 Pro 64
EVGA Classified Super Record 2
Dual Xeon Hexa-Core, 48GB RAM
GTX 780 x 2
Corona Renderer, mental Ray
Message 3 of 7
Gnur
in reply to: Brock_Lafond

Currently there is an opening for the mouth, and an unresolved symmetry modifier, thus quite some unwelded verts. The polygon in question seems to create a large dark shadow on the jaw when rendering it. If you look from below the head, you can see it appearing on the outside of the mouth as well.

It seems to go across other edges in a way.

Message 4 of 7
Bill_Sands

It looks like the poly in question is part of the inside of the mouth and therefore rightly faces inward, BUT, it overlaps the polys that are outside the mouth around the same location, and therefore will give you problems.

To help you work out the problem here is how I looked at it: Select poly 20 as you suggest, then grow the selection once. Then under "edit geometry" in the comand panel, press "hide unselected". This will isolate the poly and teh surrounding polys so you can see what is happening.

And I've attached an edited file that I think will fix you problem. Perhaps if you compare the two files you should be able to work out what the problem is. Perhaps I solved ti for you, perhaps not.

All the best,

Bill

Message 5 of 7
Gnur
in reply to: Bill_Sands

Is it possible you could save that .max file for an older version (I use 2011 and 2013)? Max 2013 won't open it because it says it was saved in a newer version, and I can't install Max 2014 on my 32-bit PC 🙂

Thanks for the suggestion to hide the unselected, it was useful in this case. I haven't solved the problem yet, but I'll see if I can make sense of it once I see your suggestion.

Message 6 of 7
Bill_Sands

Sorry about that.

If there are further problems, describe them and I'll see what I can do.

Message 7 of 7
Gnur
in reply to: Bill_Sands

Thanks a lot!

I took inspiration from your example and quickly re-made this part of the inside/outside. I had tried to remake it before, but CTRL-Zed my way back because I lost some connected geometry that I feared for, or didn't want to re-do.

This time it went fine at least, and it's looking good now 🙂

Thanks again!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report