Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Point Cloud Loading

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
BuckWyckoff
1075 Views, 2 Replies

Point Cloud Loading

It's a but of a problem loading point clouds.

When you load the rcs file.......NOTHING HAPPENS!

I mean, you don't get a message saying it's loading.  You don't get a twirling, wait for it, icon.

You have no idea anything is going on.

So then you start zooming in and out. Panning around. Clicking zoom extents.

Sometimes you eventually see the point cloud appear.  Sometimes you don't.  I think I don't when I zoom and pan around too soon.

But I don't know when it's too soon because......NOTHING HAPPENS when you load the file.

There. I'm done.  Happy holidays.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
BuckWyckoff
in reply to: BuckWyckoff

Well, now I'm trying to load an rcs file I just exported from Recap Pro.  I've tried 5 times.  I pan and zoom around looking for it to pop into view.  Nothing.

I start from scratch and load the rcs then walk away.....let it gestate.  Nothing.

I load it into AutoCAD2014.  Comes in immediately.

If it's okay with AutoCAD then it should be fine for MAX.

I've waited a long time for MAX to get hip to point clouds.  It would be nice it it would work.

I'm using Design2014.  Not that I want to, but to get AutoCAD and MAX I had to do the AutoDesk Design Suite Premium.  I'd much rather get AutoCAD2014 and MAX2014 in a suite of some kind.  It would be good for the suite to give you the option.  Not everyone who uses AutoCAD and MAX is an architect.  I do forensic animation and need the precision AutoCAD offers.  I dislike the MAXDesign interface and material presets that mean nothing to me and even interfere with the work I am trying to do at times. 

Message 3 of 3
BuckWyckoff
in reply to: BuckWyckoff

Stupid Toad.  Totally my fault.  It works fine.

When you select point clouds from the Object Creation List and then select the PointCloud Object Type button, you THEN need to click somewhere in your scene.  The only thing that will happen is you get a gizmo and an object named PointCloud001.

Then go to the Modify Panel and select the Load Point Cloud button unser Scan File.  The point cloud show up immediately.

I was going through all those same buttons because I saw them so I acted on them.  I had never placed a point cloud object in the scene to begin with so.....

Nothing shows up.

DUH.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report