Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pivot not aligning

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
papaf2
4485 Views, 7 Replies

Pivot not aligning

Sometimes I have some issues with aligning the pivot of an object. When this happens, I try to align the pivot to the object but it doesn’t move. When I’m able to get it to reset to the objects pivot point and I then try to align the pivot point to another object, the pivot point looks like it moves but the XYZ indicator never moves. The pivot point stays with the indicator and not to the new location. I know it’s going to be an easy fix, probably a setting someplace, but I don’t know where it is. See the Video I attached showing the problem, maybe someone can tell me what I can do to fix it.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
paulneale
in reply to: papaf2

Turn on Animate, is it in the right place when you do that?

Looks like the pivot mode is just messed up and I have seen that before. Restart of Max would correct it. 

Paul Neale

http://paulneale.com

Paul Neale

EESignature

Message 3 of 8
BenBisares

Yeah, the first thing I would try is a reset of Max like what Paul said. Just in case you don't know how to reset, just perform the following:

-Ensure that 3ds Max is not running.
    -For Windows 7 navigate to the following path (These paths include hidden folders, so be sure to enable the ability to see hidden folders in Windows).

-C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Autodesk\3dsMaxDesign\2013 – 64(or 32)bit\enu

-rename the “enu” folder to “enu.old”

-When 3ds Max is restarted a new “enu” folder with its associated contents will be created

Modify the path above to suit the version and architecture of Max that you have.

Ben Bisares
Message 4 of 8
papaf2
in reply to: BenBisares

The reset fixed the problem, thank you. You guys are the best.

Message 5 of 8
kgoodson0002

I have that issue too.  I cannot use the reset pivot comand because it resets the pivot to some obscure location out in the middle of nowhere. Same thing happens if I try to align it to object it goes off into some other direction.  Anyone else have any info?

Resetting the program does not help.

Message 6 of 8
bayometh
in reply to: kgoodson0002

how about try moving it to the center? like, while your affect pivot only is pressed, click on the move tool and input the x,y and z values to 0?

Message 7 of 8
paulneale
in reply to: bayometh

Make sure to use reset xform instead of pivot reset. Reset XForm is in the utils panel. 

Paul Neale

http://paulneale.com

Paul Neale

EESignature

Message 8 of 8
laomusic_arts

Hi!

I just did a model in Maya 2018 and after importing (FBX) and resizing in Max, I could NOT align the pivot to the World.
After many tries, I came up with this:

- RMC (RightMouseClick) => Convert to Editable Poly

- add a Edit Poly or Mesh on the modifier stack

- add an XForm modifier

- collapse the stack

- reset XForm from Utilities

When I try to Center Pivot to Object it works.

But Align to World mess it all up.
The Solution:
add an XForm modifier for the WHOLE model, NOT each single part!

Continue as describe above and good luck with this weird Max alien behavior!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report