Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overriding default settings

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
lwjacob
362 Views, 3 Replies

Overriding default settings

I've being doing some research and couldn't find my answer. That's why I'm asking here.
How can I override the default settings of Max?

Some of the changes I have to do EVERY TIME:

* Changing the home grid from 10mm to 1000mm;
* Activate angle snapping;
* Zoom out, because I model stuff bigger than 1000mm. Max thinks that I'm going to work with something with 10mm;
* To configure the Render Setup, by changing it to my personal preset;
* Pressing "J" and "F4" in the perspective view.

Another great thing would be having a default scene to work with. Like a bended white plane and pre-configured lights.

These are stuff that would be great to have by default when opening Max's shortcut.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
Jacob Allgayer
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Steve_Curley
in reply to: lwjacob

Open Max
Make all the above changes, save the scene as Maxstart.max in your default scenes folder. That scene is automatically loaded when Max starts, or when you do a File > Reset.

Note that if you make use of the Project Folders feature you will have to manually copy (or load and resave) that scene in the new (project-related) scenes folder.

Notes.
The "home grid" has nothing (directly) to do with sizes. Altering the grid will not change the scale of the scene. You should be looking to the System Units (and possibly Display units) in Customise > Units Setup.
Angle Snap setting should be retained in Maxstart.
Zoom - saved in Maxstart, though if your System Units are correct this may not be necessary, you'll just have to try various settings and see which work best for you.
"J" and "F4" are also saved in Maxstart. They mirror the settings in the Viewport Configuration dialog. Note that they are per viewport, not global.
Maxstart is a normal Scene, so any objects/lights you create (prior to saving it) should be restored automatically.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 3 of 4
lwjacob
in reply to: Steve_Curley

Steve, thank you so much!
I've being having this issue for so long.
Message 4 of 4
tony
in reply to: lwjacob

You can set your Maxstart user defined path to an absolute location and put your Maxstart.max file in there.  That way you don't have to keep copying your Maxstart file to every project folder you use.

Customize>Configure User Paths... > File I/O tab > MaxStart > Modify

I have a scenes folder inside my Max's runtime folder and my Maxstart.max file in there.  My MaxStart user path is absolute and pointed to that runtime scenes folder.

MaxStart.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report