Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Noise Map not displaying in viewport. Please Help...

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
1543 Views, 5 Replies

Noise Map not displaying in viewport. Please Help...

Dear fellow 3ds Maxers,

I teach an after-school 3ds max class and am having a frustrating little proble. When I take a standard material and apply a noise map to the Bump it only shows in the preview sphere of the slate material editor and not in the viewport. When I switch the viewport to realistic with maps and materials, I get a strange camouflage pattern.

I run Max 2013 student version, Windows 7 64bit and have an NVIDIA GeForce GTS 240 graphics card.

I have attached a picture to better depict.

Many thanks in advance for your help.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
RobH2
in reply to: Anonymous

What does the render look like? Is it noise or the camo pattern?

I've run into this before too where the intereactive display does not match what I am applying. But, if the render looks good then it's just an inconvenience. Now, if you are doing screen captures as your final output, that's an issue. But 99.999% of the time, it's probalby renders that are the end product.

You might try swithing away from the Nitrous Display Driver to see if that's the issue. Maybe Direct3D will display the viewport correctly. I can't remember what they are right now but there are a few other random functions that don't work well with Nitrous.

I just tested it here with a Standard Material and an A&D Material and both looked like noise in my preview. Neither looked like camo. Try the driver switch and report back.

Rob Holmes

EESignature

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3ds Max (2023-2025), V-Ray 6.2, Ryzen 9 3950-X Processor, DDR 4 128MB, Gigabyte Aorus X570 Master motherboard, Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 M.2 drives, NVidia RTX 4090, Space Pilot Pro, Windows 11 Pro x64, Tri-Monitor, Cintiq 13HD, Windows 11 x64
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: RobH2

In general I assume that no material will ever look correct in the viewport, and then I'm never disappointed :0 You may want to check my texmapPreview script: http://www.neilblevins.com/cg_tools/soulburnscripts/soulburnscripts.htm I use it to do fast renders of patterns in materials so I can see the result faster than doing a full render.

- Neil

Message 4 of 6
RobH2

Wow Neil, that's a huge assortment of scripts. I'm going to check them out. Thanks for letting us know they are there....

Rob Holmes

EESignature

3ds Max (2023-2025), V-Ray 6.2, Ryzen 9 3950-X Processor, DDR 4 128MB, Gigabyte Aorus X570 Master motherboard, Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 M.2 drives, NVidia RTX 4090, Space Pilot Pro, Windows 11 Pro x64, Tri-Monitor, Cintiq 13HD, Windows 11 x64
Message 5 of 6
RobH2
in reply to: RobH2

Some really handy scripts there. I like 'imagePlaneMaker' as I build from ortho photos a lot. Nice...

Rob Holmes

EESignature

Message 6 of 6
Anonymous

No problem. Hope you find a lot of the useful.

- Neil

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report