Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEED HELP! converting to Inventor

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
sinus19
339 Views, 4 Replies

NEED HELP! converting to Inventor

Hey Guys,

I got me a model of a truck in a 3DS Max native file with the hope that i can some how bring it in to Inventor. Why? because i am a "paramtric modeling guy" and have quite a few parts modeled in inventor (i.e rims) that i want to mock up with an actual model of the truck. I might even want to change the color of the truck as well.

However i have 0 experience in 3DS Max and dont wann spend too much time learning a new software that i will only use once, that and 3DS does not interests me. So then why did i get it in 3DS? well because i can not find a model of my truck in .STEP/IGES/SAT/.PRT(solidworks)/IPT(Inventor) etc...etc... I downloaded 3DS MAX with the hope that i can do the conversion my self but i dont know how. I have read many thread on converting to dwg. and opening it in Autocad or in other words having AutoCad be the middle man/convertor..... but it wont work for many reasons one being that the model is not a "water tight" Mesh... Im starting to give up. can someone please help me before my 3DS Max trial ends? PLEASE!

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
JoAnn_Hogan
in reply to: sinus19

You should be able to export your 3DS Max file to a step file and place that step file into Invenor.

Just note that when you import that step file into Inventor itwill become a "Stupid" non intelligent model. If you like you can post your 3DS Max model here (Zip file it if it does not want to take the file format) And I will convert it into a step file for you and send it back. But like i Said you wont have any parameters.

If this post solved your issue please mark as solved and Kudos are always welcome 😃

Jo - Ann
Twitter: @JoAnn_Hogan
Revit Architecture Certified Professional / Revit Structure Certified Professional / AutoCAD Certified Professional
Message 3 of 5
sinus19

awsome! i am at work right now. i will zip it soon as i get home. I dont really care if it doesnt have the "parametric" feature. 

THANKS!

Message 4 of 5
sinus19

file size is still too large after zipped. cant upload it.

Message 5 of 5
JoAnn_Hogan

You can email me a dropbox link. Or if you have Autodesk 360 (Which is free BTW) you can email me the link. I will send you my email address via Private Message

If this post solved your issue please mark as solved and Kudos are always welcome 😃

Jo - Ann
Twitter: @JoAnn_Hogan
Revit Architecture Certified Professional / Revit Structure Certified Professional / AutoCAD Certified Professional

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums