Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Max 2014 crashing issue upon opening material editor

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
tmwibberley
5908 Views, 14 Replies

Max 2014 crashing issue upon opening material editor

Upon 50% of occasions max 2014 (2013 works fine, but i need 14) will crash whenever i open up the material editor and whenever i switch from compact to sltae. Any clue to why this is happening .

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
it
Community Visitor
in reply to: tmwibberley

Having the same exact issue over here.

Anyone with any ideas?

Message 3 of 15
raytoday66

Also having same problem. New clean install of windows 7 and Max 2014. Try to open material editor causes instant crash. Anyone have a solution for this issue? Thanks. 

Message 4 of 15
paulneale

Can you provide more information? System, drivers? 

I don't have any issues in 2014 like that on over 70 machines. 

Can you get it to crash with a clean scene? Is it just when loading a specific file? Or texture? Do you have a material library loading?

Paul Neale
PEN Productions
http://paulneale.com
Win 10 64bit
Nvidia GeForce 1060
Message 5 of 15
pawel.bodytko
in reply to: paulneale

Same issue with me. Just downloaded SP5 hoping that this has finally been fixed -- NO SUCH LUCK! 

It is really upsetting that such an expensive software should have a known BASIC issue like this since the release and not being fixed after more than a year... Only continous pointing fingers at "video drivers"...  Disgusting!

Message 6 of 15
raytoday66
in reply to: pawel.bodytko

I got around the issue by switching the renderer to something other than the default scanline renderer. Go figure.

Message 7 of 15
raytoday66
in reply to: raytoday66

And yes it was happening on clean install, new empty scene. Got same error on different machines, one with GeForce card one with Quadro. If I assign a different renderer it does not crash.
Message 8 of 15
pawel.bodytko

In my case it makes no difference- MentalRay, Iray, Default renderes, all crash... 

Message 9 of 15
Steve_Curley

Scanline could be a "number of available cores" issue - maximum of 32 or it will crash. There's a few threads about it here, with possible solutions.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 10 of 15

Thanks Steve. I'll do reading and digging when I get some free moments...

Message 11 of 15

Try this one:-
http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/3ds-Max-3ds-Max-Design-General/3DSMax-2013-2014-crash-on-default-Scanl...

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 12 of 15
q12aaaa

Kiss the feet of Q12  !!!  I had this problem for awile and it was very frustrating.

I searched a lot and find something intriguing here at this post: http://www.actualtools.com/forum/read.php?FID=10&TID=3230

So, that guy is the actual hero but I am the second one because I take the time to update a couple of forum threads with this specific problem.

This is the solution :

I do have a second monitor !!!! And also I have installed the "actual multiple monitors" software.

When you open 3dsmax, press once the "M" key to bring up the material editor.

Go to your running "actual multiple monitors" or whatever multi monitor software you have and [pause] it from it's menu.

Then, back in 3dsmax, press M again to close the material editor window.

From now on, every time you will open/close that window, the error will not appear anymore.

(now you can [start] multimonitor).

But! It is a temporarry solution because it is linked to the running instance of 3dsmax.

In other words, if you restart 3dsmax, you must pause that thing again.

Message 13 of 15
pxviking
in reply to: q12aaaa

I solved this problem, might be specific to me but heres what I did.

The reason:

If you have Scanline renderer set as main renderer AND have downloaded vray materials and added them to your material library.  Everytime you open the material editor, it will "render" the material in a thumbnail. 

So! Since you have scanline activated, it cant render and hence the crash. If you change your renderer to Vray, it is able to render it because its a vray material, and boom. no crash.

Hope this helps.

Message 14 of 15
pawel.bodytko
in reply to: pxviking

Thanks Pxviking. I will keep this in mind the next time it happens...
Message 15 of 15
PhO3NiX96

Hey, i'm here to confirm working solutions i read above.

My problem was on 3ds max 2016 and Vray 3.2

When you open a scene with Vray materials, (to make sure you never ever have this problem on this max instance) you need to switch back from Vray Adv renderer to Scanline, and to Vray again, because even if Max shows he is using Vray as renderer, he is actually trying to cache thumbnails of your vray materials with Scanline, which is clearly a bug.

So yeah switch from vray to something else and come back to Vray and it should be working.

I don't know if there is a link, but it only appears since i have a vray mtl in my library..

Thanks guys for solving my problem.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report