Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Material Editor freezing on network bitmaps

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
1323 Views, 5 Replies

Material Editor freezing on network bitmaps

My issue is the following

3D's max Material editor is insanely slow, especially when the bitmap is not found.
I assume that 3Ds Max is trying to find the bitmap. and it keeps loading until it crashes or times out on the network.
I can have a model with standard MAX material in viewport with over 200 million polygons without any problems. and it works like a charm. but for the love of my life. im not gona render out gray images.

and a bunch of other bugs that has been since r something.

the textures need to be on the network. and yes its a fast network. and no. its not a problem with my pc.

now I maybe sound a little negative because I really love working 3ds Max when it works and have done so since 1999.

we utilize C4d,Maya and 3ds max where I work
and I envy C4d guys for an extremly fast workflow and I am really considering of switching to C4d

I use a Dell T7610, v2 dual Xeon, 3,4ghz. SLI cards. works just fine in c4d
3D's Max has become laughable slow and fairly inconsistent and I feel like autodesk has lost its grip on the program.
Time is money and solving problems takes time and I just hope that 3ds max will become a top edge program one day.

Im just willing to consider all the options if there is any answers to this

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
darawork
in reply to: Anonymous

Which version 3DS Max do you have?

I experience no lag, slow loading or network timeouts and I'm in the same networked textured situation as you. Are your texture images especially large? You can try and reduce the network load by setting up Bitmap Proxies / Paging: http://help.autodesk.com/view/3DSMAX/2015/ENU/?guid=GUID-BCC5D81D-3355-49CF-ADB3-0748C4631301

Btw, GFX cards in SLi is for gaming. Dual slotted GFX cards is the way to go with 3DS MAX.

SLi is known to cause problems in graphics programs: http://forums.cgsociety.org/archive/index.php/t-965429.html

Darawork
AutoDesk User
Windows 10/11, 3DS Max 2022/24, Revit 2022, AutoCad 2024, Dell Precision 5810/20, ASUS DIY, nVidia Quadro P5000/RTX 5000/GTX760

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: darawork

its max 2014 sp5
I always update to the current version a year later when the sp's are out. so updating to 2015 wont happen yet.

textures i use are 4k png mostly.
C4d doesnt experience the same issue.
and i only believe it has something to do with Max trying to figure out where the bitmaps are on the network.

the problem occurs when the bitmap has been moved or doesnt exist anymore in the current path. on purpose.

as I mentioned I use Sli and it works proper. I have around 60 - 250 fps in max. and it is always the material editor that bugs out.

maybe i should use the proxy system more.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous

Im sorry for missinformation i dont use SLI I have 2 graphic cards but they work separetly 1 for RT and 1 for MAX

Message 5 of 6
darawork

Ok, yeah the textures are quite big alright. I recently read about someone who was using 6k texture bitmaps in a scene that was to be final rendered into a 6k image. It reminded me to always use efficiently sized texture maps.

As for the missing maps, I'm going to link again to this script because it is very good: http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/relink-bitmaps

Darawork
AutoDesk User
Windows 10/11, 3DS Max 2022/24, Revit 2022, AutoCad 2024, Dell Precision 5810/20, ASUS DIY, nVidia Quadro P5000/RTX 5000/GTX760

Message 6 of 6
VishnuR
in reply to: darawork

Hi everyone,

Here are examples of when I've seen this in the past, from user reports:

The issue can be related to any large sized maps that are on your network.

A slow or broken connection can be causing 3ds Max to continually try to update the material.

Use the Asset Tracker to remove any unused materials in the scene , see if that helps.

Was recently talking with someone in the film industry.

He mentioned 4k is large, he rarely sees anyone going over 4k. Most use 2k sometimes 4 k

for really high quality normal maps.

The problem with really large textures > they can take a long time to open.

Also temporarliy disable any disc scanning software, services , see if speed improvements , just as a test. 
To eliminate them as possibe contributors to the issue.

Regards/VR

Vishnu Ramdass

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report