Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for Service Pack 5 file Dependencies

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
RobH2
595 Views, 11 Replies

Looking for Service Pack 5 file Dependencies

I've removed most of the files in my 'Windows\Installer' folder. I was running out of HD space and they consume a huge amount. I've archived them.

I tried to install Max Design 2014 SP 5 today and it fails because it's looking for some dependent files from that folder. Problem is, in the 45GB of removed files, I have no way to know which one Max wants. The Max installer does not say and the file are all names that are just numbers.

And, I don't have enough drive space to do what I normally do and that was to just copy all of the removed files back to 'Installer' and install, then remove them again. That used to work great as it didn't matter what the dependent file names were because they were there. Now I can't do that.

Does anyone know what resident files the SP Installer needs to be able to work?

Rob Holmes

EESignature

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3ds Max (2023-2025), V-Ray 6.2, Ryzen 9 3950-X Processor, DDR 4 128MB, Gigabyte Aorus X570 Master motherboard, Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 M.2 drives, NVidia RTX 4090, Space Pilot Pro, Windows 11 Pro x64, Tri-Monitor, Cintiq 13HD, Windows 11 x64
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
TMat
in reply to: RobH2

G'day,

You could try using a free utility called "Dependency Walker".

Google it to find the d/l and further info on how it works.

Good luck!

GooDependency WalkerDependency Walker

Message 3 of 12
RobH2
in reply to: TMat

Thanks TMat. That's the kind of outside the box thinking that I was looking for. I've tried every other tricky thing I know how.

Rob Holmes

EESignature

3ds Max (2023-2025), V-Ray 6.2, Ryzen 9 3950-X Processor, DDR 4 128MB, Gigabyte Aorus X570 Master motherboard, Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 M.2 drives, NVidia RTX 4090, Space Pilot Pro, Windows 11 Pro x64, Tri-Monitor, Cintiq 13HD, Windows 11 x64
Message 4 of 12
TMat

No problems.

Hope you resolve the issue.
Message 5 of 12
RobH2

No luck with Dependency Walker. Apparently it doesn't like .msp files.

Rob Holmes

EESignature

Message 6 of 12
RobH2

I downloaded the file for the 5th time and rebooted. The install acted like it was about to run until the installation box 'Please wait while the Setup Wizard updates Autodesk 3ds Max Design 2014' comes up. Before anything starts I get the following error:

'The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance.'

If I try to launch it again, nothing begins to open and I immediately get the message I've gotten the past 20 times I've tried:

'Windows installer has stopped working'

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:    APPCRASH
  Application Name:    msiexec.exe
  Application Version:    5.0.7601.17514
  Application Timestamp:    4ce79d93
  Fault Module Name:    msvcrt.dll
  Fault Module Version:    7.0.7601.17744
  Fault Module Timestamp:    4eeb033f
  Exception Code:    c0000005
  Exception Offset:    00000000000035e1
  OS Version:    6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
  Locale ID:    1033
  Additional Information 1:    fff4
  Additional Information 2:    fff454bbaa3bb42b17b982e965d58085
  Additional Information 3:    6f98
  Additional Information 4:    6f9875f66ee669b9a3ef1401bf25bcaa

Read our privacy statement online:
  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
  C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

Rob Holmes

EESignature

Message 7 of 12
TMat

Sorry to hear that. Unfortunately that's about where my knowledge of the subject ends.

If you are lucky someone from ADSK might stop by and give you the info you need.

Alternatively there may be other, more technical forums where you might find another way to dig up the needed files.

Again, good luck!
Message 8 of 12
RobH2
in reply to: TMat

Ok, I finally solved it. It took over 12 hours but it's done.

I wish I could say what the single thing was that did it but what I did is follow the following thread all the way through and do everything that's discussed all the way to the end. I rebooted and it worked. Day wasted and behind schedule but at least I'm up to date now. I just hope that Max 2015 doesn't arrive tomorrow as all the work will be moot....

If you have this problem, do this:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-performance/need-to-reinstall-windows-ins...

Rob Holmes

EESignature

Message 9 of 12
darawork

I find this software well handy to snoop what processes are requesting what.

You have to filter a bit of junk but it lists all procedure call fails / sucesses.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-ie/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx

For future use, if needed.

Darawork
AutoDesk User
Windows 10/11, 3DS Max 2022/24, Revit 2022, AutoCad 2024, Dell Precision 5810/20, ASUS DIY, nVidia Quadro P5000/RTX 5000/GTX760

Message 10 of 12
RobH2
in reply to: darawork

Nice. This looks like a very handy tool. Looks like good filtering will be necessary like you say but it looks really useful. Thanks for sharing.

Rob Holmes

EESignature

Message 11 of 12
darawork

A quick way to filter out processes is to stop the 'autoscroll' feature, then right-click and choose Exclude '*Process-name-here*'.

Saves having to type in and add each filter. Or even simply apply a filter to all hits where [Result][is]=[SUCCESS] /Exclude

Darawork
AutoDesk User
Windows 10/11, 3DS Max 2022/24, Revit 2022, AutoCad 2024, Dell Precision 5810/20, ASUS DIY, nVidia Quadro P5000/RTX 5000/GTX760

Message 12 of 12
RobH2

Last post on this issue before I beat it to death. Hopefully if someone else has the problem this thread will help them solve it.

Quick overview: I have a 120 SSD for my C: drive. I try never to install any program to C unless I can't avoid it. Over time, even with the best housekeeping it gets filled up. Months ago I copied all the files from Windows\Installer to another drive as it's a huge space hog. Problem is, it holds icons and dependent files for new installs and uninstalling. So, I'd manually move all of them back to the original folder now and then when I had something to perform. The problem that ocurred was that it got to big to move back intact and the file names are random and don't identify the associated programs. So now Houston, we have a problem. I had no way to figure out which files to put back so I could install/uninstall or keep my Taskbar icons from disappearing. The missing files were keeping Max SP5 from installing.

To the rescue comes something I just found. It's called "junction.exe' [Google it]. It gets placed in the Windows\System32 folder and from a command prompt you can create a "Junction" to there you moved the system folder to. So, now I have my 'C:\Windows\Installer' system file pointing to my other hard drive folder with all the 'Installer' files. I hope it works but it looks like the perfect solution. It might have solved my 12 hour ordeal with a 1 minute task in a Command Prompt. But, I learned something new and you can't put time limits on that.

Good luck...

Rob Holmes

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report