Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue with 3ds Max and Surface Pro - Wacom Drivers

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
technokill
1261 Views, 4 Replies

Issue with 3ds Max and Surface Pro - Wacom Drivers

Hello!

While using the most recent version of wacom drivers for tabletpcs, I have been experiencing an annoying problem which completely kills any possible way to use 3ds max in my Surface Pro with a STYLUS.

When I right click to open the menus, inside 3ds max, the cursor vanishes and I can't select any option. I then have to right-click again to make the cursor works. In other words, I cant make use of an essential and core feature of 3ds max, which is the right-click menu options.

People have corrected this issue on WINDOWS 7, while on other wacom platforms, like cintiq and intuos. They advised disabling Windows Ink feature at the wacom driver properties. However there's no such thing in wacom tabletpc drivers.

Also, people said that turning off Windows TABLET PC Features would solve it, but there's also no such thing in WINDOWS 8.

That issue does NOT happen with a regular mouse, but only with the pen.

Would there be any tweaks or settings configuration to prevent this from happening?

Any help sorting this out, Autodesk folks?
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
jimthegrim
in reply to: technokill

I have discovered a fix for this:

Disabling Windows Ink on a surface pro 2 running Windows 8.1 with Wacom tablet pc drivers that have no option to disable Windows ink.

Just a heads up I've only tested this on a surface pro 2 running Windows 8.1 with the

wacom "Feel it" driver ISD_DualTouch_720-10.
I cannot be held responsible for any crazy mojo in which you bestow upon your surface pro 2. With that said...

Okay so first thing, make sure to plug a mouse in because you will have to disable the wacom driver for a moment while you edit the .dat file later in the process.

Step 1:
Hit the "Start" button so you're in the start (metro) menu.
Within the Start menu activate the charms bar and then go to
Settings > Tiles and turn on "Show administrative tools".

Step 2:
Next,
Activate the search button in the charms bar then
type in "Computer Management". Select it when it appears.

This will bring up the computer management window where we will temporarily disable the wacom drivers in order to edit the wacom settings file without interruption from the pen. (This step must be done or it will not save your changes!)

So in the far left panel of the Computer Management window select Services and Applications > Services.

Then in the services panel scroll down and highlight "Wacom Consumer Service".
Then in the Actions panel select "More Actions" and then "properties".

In the Wacom customer service properties window select "Stop" and set the Startup type to "Disabled".
Click apply and ok.

Step 3:
Switch to your mouse. 😉

Go to C: > Users > "username" > Appdata > Roaming > WTablet > Pen_Tablet.dat

Make sure you have Hidden items activated in the View panel dropdown so that AppData is visible, and also that you open the Pen_Tablet.dat file in Wordpad and not Notepad.

Step 4:
Once inside of WordPad click on "Find" (its the little binoculars icon) and type "ink" (without quotes) and then press "Find next".
This should show you a bit of code that says:

<WinUseInk> type="bool">true</WinUseInk>

Change true to false, save and close the document.

Step 5:
Reactivate your Wacom driver like you did in Step 2 by clicking on the Search button in the charms menu and going to:

Computer Management > Services and Applications > Services > Wacom Customer Service > More Actions > Properties

Change the Startup type to "Automatic" and hit the "start" button in the Service status section of the Wacom customer service properties window.

Reboot and rejoice! 😄

If you have any questions hit me up at:

Jimthegrim@gmail.com

Have a super fun time without Windows Ink (right clicking in max) on your Surface Pro 2! And happy holidays! ;D

-Jim

Message 3 of 5
propcom
in reply to: jimthegrim

and how about surface pro 4? any way?

Message 4 of 5
propcom
in reply to: propcom

up

Message 5 of 5
jpownall1998
in reply to: technokill

Just bumping this thread because this issue is still present in 3DS Max 2021.1 with Surface Pro 7 and Surface Pen.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report