Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to delete one side of a polygon?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
danvegan
1732 Views, 5 Replies

How to delete one side of a polygon?

Hello, guys!

I'm a 3Ds Max beginner. My teacher told me to follow this tutorial and model this robot for next class. The problem is, there's a part in the tutorial where I get stuck. I don't know if it's what it seems, but it seems to me that he simply deleted only one side of the polygon at 09:35 of the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mR-J9jJ3Xhk

And I've tried everything I could to have the same effects, but I have very limited skills.

Could anybody clear it up for me a little bit?

Greateful,

Daniel

Tags (3)
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
kcpr.pl
in reply to: danvegan

In my opinon there was two polygons.

At about 9:05 he uses Cap modifier which creates the second polygon in the same place but with other normals.

Then he deletes the polygon on the other side.

If you have only one polygon just continue the tutorial, maybe you'll just have to Flip the Normals.

Or if you want attach the ZIP-ed scene - what you have for now and I'll take a look.

Message 3 of 6
Steve_Curley
in reply to: kcpr.pl

Agreed. He capped a Border (despite what he said about "ring") which produced a second poly which he later deleted. Just to be clear, Polys are only one-sided, so to delete what he did there had to be 2 polys.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 4 of 6
danvegan
in reply to: Steve_Curley

Thanks for the reply.

What I do not understand is, when he changes the view and focus on the back of the detached part of the box, you can't see it, it's invisible. But when he changes the view to focus on the front part, it is visible again. How is it possible? I tried to follow all his moves but I just can't have this effect. This is the part where I can't go forward..

Message 5 of 6
kcpr.pl

This is called backface culling, which means showing the polygon only from normals side, and therefore invisible from back.

You can set this up in object properties or globally in viewport settings (Backface Cull on Object Creation).

Message 6 of 6
danvegan

Hey, it worked. Thanks a lot!

Gratefully,

Daniel

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report