Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hotfix 4 – Autodesk 3ds Max 2011 cannot install

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
rogue3d
244 Views, 6 Replies

Hotfix 4 – Autodesk 3ds Max 2011 cannot install

I have two problems. the first is that my snaps stop working after 20 minutes or so. they just stop, can't snap to anything and when you do snap is does it in the wrong direction. for example, restricted to X axis and trying to snap will result in Vert being snapped as if no restriction was set. It moves in x, y, and z. only fix is to restart max.

I had hoped the Hotfix 4 would solve this issue, but when I try to install it, I get an error saying the "upgrade patch cannot be installed by windows because the program is missing. I have max installed to it's own directory C:\3ds max 2011 Could this be the issue and if so any way to manually install? I've re downloaded the patch several times and still doesn't work.

BOXX workstation
xeon 5440 2.83Ghz
4gb ram
xp sp3 32bit
quadro fx 1700 with maxstreme 13.00.04
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Steve_Curley
in reply to: rogue3d

Are you downloading the correct patch (Max / Max Design)? They won't install on the wrong version. There are also separate 32bit and 64bit updates.

As for the installation folder, no it shouldn't make any difference. I have both the 32 and 64 bit versions installed, both in (different) folders directly off the root of the drive and they both work fine (and are fully patched).

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 3 of 7
rogue3d
in reply to: Steve_Curley

the hot fix says it works for both. I downloaded the 32 bit version which is what I have.
Message 4 of 7
Steve_Curley

No - they are different products with different downloads.

Max 2011 HF4
Max Design 2011 HF4

Look at the filenames...

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Message 5 of 7
graham.hurst

or as with most questions RTFM lol

The sky is falling down they say , personally I don't think it will 😄
Message 6 of 7
rogue3d

thanks, the link that I kept going to was bringing me to the default one but the description below seem to suggest that it would work........

Hot Fix 4 from Autodesk for Autodesk® 3ds Max® 2011 and Autodesk® 3ds Max® Design 2011 software includes fixes for issues with stability and performance. Specific areas addressed include: FileLink, Graphite Modeling Tools, Bitmap Proxies, Satellite Rendering, Normal Mapping, Quicksilver Hardware Renderer, and User Interface.

So that's pretty confusing since the description reads as if the same patch works for both and the only option on this page is to download the english version. going back through the site, you have to start at the support home page (which is where I went wrong) to select design from the beginning. google just brings you right to regular max download area with no mention of design.
Message 7 of 7
Steve_Curley

Max Updates (back to Max 5).
Max Design Updates (back to Max Design 2009).
Bookmark them both - that's what I did even though I don't have the Design version(s).

The confusion is because there is a Hotfix4 for both versions - they used to be all on the same page which was even worse.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report