Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FumeFX/RealFlow: How to hide behind invisible object?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
1196 Views, 4 Replies

FumeFX/RealFlow: How to hide behind invisible object?

Hey all! This is a problem that I've been running into for quite some time, and it seems like it should be pretty simple to solve, its just difficult to explain, so I'll try my best.

Say for example, I want to use FumeFX to create an explosion coming out of a giant pipe. So I create the pipe in 3ds max and generate the explosion coming out of it. But now I want to export it into my movie, but I don't want the pipe geometry to be shown in the export, and if I make the pipe invisible, you can see the explosion at all times, even when its still inside the pipe. Is there a way to make it so your explosion can't be seen behind a hidden object? And will this also work for water in RealFlow?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Basically you need the pipe to be a matte object. The different renderers have there own ways to do this... But you could always apply a material that is black with zero diffuse, specular, etc.

Otherwise google matte objects in whatever renderer you like...
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous

Using mental ray, there is the Matte/Shadow/Reflection material for this purpose.

If using scanline renderer, there is the Matte/Shadow material.

If you just use a black material, you won't get clear alpha where the object is.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous

And in VRay you would use the VRayMtlWrapper:

http://www.spot3d.com/vray/help/200R1/mtlWrapper_params.htm
Message 5 of 5
Anonymous

Thanks guys! Yeah, the black Material works for me! Thanks a ton!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report